Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2 Easy ways to improve driving pleasure.

WALLOP

Only had my Corolla 2 months after 5 yrs with a T25 Avensis but the first things I noticed that were not apparent in the Avensis were wind noise at speed and very thin and dry leather on the steering wheel giving it a cheap feel.

I found that spraying silicone lubricant onto a cloth and coating both door surround and door seals has plumped out the seals to an extent that I no longer hear the irritating wind noise at speed due to a better seal and another positive is that it should enable the seals to last longer and with less natural deterioration.

The steering wheel has benefited from a good coating of leather conditioner which has improved the feel no end and it now has a more expensive and plusher feel to it.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

As I already have a working silicone solution for the door seals can you please link the product you used for the steering wheel without any side effects ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Popama said:

As I already have a working silicone solution for the door seals can you please link the product you used for the steering wheel without any side effects ?

Shin-Etsu Silicone Grease is one of the best though it is a bit expensive-  I have used exactly like Andrew and it is first port of action to reduce noise coming inside the cabin.

3 hours ago, WALLOP said:

Only had my Corolla 2 months after 5 yrs with a T25 Avensis but the first things I noticed that were not apparent in the Avensis were wind noise at speed and very thin and dry leather on the steering wheel giving it a cheap feel.

I found that spraying silicone lubricant onto a cloth and coating both door surround and door seals has plumped out the seals to an extent that I no longer hear the irritating wind noise at speed due to a better seal and another positive is that it should enable the seals to last longer and with less natural deterioration.

The steering wheel has benefited from a good coating of leather conditioner which has improved the feel no end and it now has a more expensive and plusher feel to it.   

What products did you use?

• Like 1

I use Lexol leather deep conditioner which is absorbed very quickly by the leather and does not leave any residue. They have been making leather conditioner since 1933 and judging by how quickly it is fully incorporated into the leather must show how dry the leather was originally. 

For the rubber seals I have used Holts professional silicone spray. I would certainly recommend wiping this on with a cloth as if not fairly evenly applied you can tell where it has and has not been applied.   

• Like 4

3 hours ago, soonhouse19 said:

What products did you use?

I used Sonax GummiPfleger (rubber groomer) on my previous car and now use it on the Corolla before the freezing temperatures start. And I know it to be safe for the rubber seals as it is silicone based and having tested it in the previous 4-5 years.

Thank you both for the recommendation  for the steering wheel leather, I wanted to use something already tested.

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing this! Expecting mine in a month or 2, first thing I'll do!

I use Nextzett Gummi Pflege on my door rubbers. Works like a charm to recondition rubber

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how much an effect does silicon spray produces in regard to road noise. Is it really that noticeable?

1 hour ago, Persimmon said:

Thanks for sharing!

I wonder how much an effect does silicon spray produces in regard to road noise. Is it really that noticeable?

I didn't not notice any difference with spray but rubber sealed looked good. However when I applied silicone grease manually, i did notice difference in cabin noise. Spray is easy to apply though. 

Thanks! I’ll definitely try applying grease then. 

Applied CRC silicone grease to all door seals, but unfortunately did not notice any difference in wind or road noise.