Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox problems

Pat Nash

2008 auris 1.4 diesel. 

First of all, dropping from 4th to 3rd wouldn't happen for me, I'd have to select 2nd then 3rd would engage. Moving up gears was not a problem. 

Then, the gearbox would make a very bad chuckling noise, this noise would be very loud in 5th gear. 

After a few minutes of this, the noise became a lot worse and now I can only select 1st and 2nd gear. 

Can someone please give me some tips. Iv just tested the car. This is an expensive problem by the sounds of it. 

Can anyone tell me how I can fix it... 

It's a nightmare. I'm so disappointed with Toyota now. And I have always highly recommended them. 

It looks like there just out for money year on year. 

Good Evening How many kilometers has the car traveled?

Sounds like synchros or shaft bearings, either way you're looking at a gearbox out recon or replace and a new clutch

tbh you don't know if any of the previous owners have looked after the car, a lack of maintenance (gearbox fluid) or even checks can kill a gearbox no matter the make,

14 year old car 15-20K miles a year it will be on its 2nd or 3rd clutch, if it's the original it's way past due, it's an older car thing

4 hours ago, Pat Nash said:

2008 auris 1.4 diesel. 

First of all, dropping from 4th to 3rd wouldn't happen for me, I'd have to select 2nd then 3rd would engage. Moving up gears was not a problem. 

Then, the gearbox would make a very bad chuckling noise, this noise would be very loud in 5th gear. 

After a few minutes of this, the noise became a lot worse and now I can only select 1st and 2nd gear. 

Can someone please give me some tips. Iv just tested the car. This is an expensive problem by the sounds of it. 

It's a nightmare. I'm so disappointed with Toyota now. And I have always highly recommended them. 

Hi Pat,

I also had a problem with the output shaft bearings failing on my Auris gearbox.  Car currently has 340,000km on it and gear shifting is quite difficult and makes strange noises.  And I suspect the gearbox was replaced by a previous owner already.  I have spoken to a mechanic that worked for Toyota and he told be that this generation of Toyotas had gearbox issues.  I was quoted €800 for a replacement gearbox fitted by independent mechanic.  Not worth it for me.  Still a good car though in fairness the 1.4 diesel is a very robust engine.

11 hours ago, Pat Nash said:

2008 auris 1.4 diesel. 

Hello Pat, sorry you are having problems with the gearbox. We all would like trouble free cars to drive, in reality there are going to be problems some time during a cars life. As already stated some of these can be put to poor driving or poor maintenance. Some not the current owners wrongdoing.

How many km/miles has the car covered???                  
How many owners has it had???            
How many service stamps on the service record???               
When did you start to own the car???                 
Have you had any other problems???                
Or know if the car has had any other problems anytime???