Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Super high fuel consumption but no errors, 4A-FE

fantajuice

I'm just about to replace every sensor on the car, but before that I'll ask here - 

I'm getting about 19 mpg outside of the city on an eco cruise in a 1.6 4A-FE '90 Corolla. 

Otherwise the car runs fine, maybe is a bit sluggish but it is a 32 year old car.

About 3 and a half years ago when I previously had the car for a couple months, I got around 33mpg on average with city and highway, sold it, now bought it back and it only gets 18-19mpg highway, way worse in the city. 

I checked the diagnostic codes - ECM reports all good. Replaced water temp sensor, air filter, fuel filter, oil + oil filter and spark plugs + wires, still getting bad economy. It also smells like it's running rich and barely passed smog, but it still has its original catalytic converter and without that it wouldn't have passed smog at all.

Now before I start start replacing anything else I'll ask here if anyone's got any ideas.

I also don't know which position this thing is supposed to be in normally - we don't have low quality fuel here anyways.

IMG_20220501_164407.jpg

pull the injectors and send them off for testing/find a place locally, a bad o2 or both you need to check the resistance of the sensor and heater on both

thump the cat a few times if it rattles the cat is breaking down, but usually it will lack power

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

pull the injectors and send them off for testing/find a place locally, a bad o2 or both you need to check the resistance of the sensor and heater on both

thump the cat a few times if it rattles the cat is breaking down, but usually it will lack power

I've had a couple cats blow up on me, and they rattle when the car runs anyway when they're done. But we've got very strict emissions here, wouldn't ever pass with a sucky cat.

I'll try replacing the O2 sensor before the injectors, barely passing emissions should kind of indicate to a dead O2 sensor (even though ECM thinks it's alright). It doesn't have much mileage on it either and runs very smooth.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: replaced intake air temperature sensor, another coolant temperature sensor and the O2 sensor.  (They were all original parts on the car before replacing - 32 years old)

Results? None.

Could the choke position sensor make it this bad too?