Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most important when picking up new Rav from the dealership

Atom

What would you ask, look for check or do when picking up your new Toyota from the dealership, any tips please would be greatly appreciated.

Hope for a dry day.

Check the number plates are correct for your vehicle, and they match front and back. Happened to my sister - wrong number plates fitted (though was a different marque).

• Like 2

I agree with Frostyballs on that one having seen another make with different plates fitted. Sounds silly but it can happen.

To avoid a long list of things to check which you wouldn't remember, I would just advise that you should feel comfortable with the necessary controls before you drive off into the sunset. The majority of dealers will insist on explaining anyway but there might just be something you are unsure about.

My other advice is to read the manual ! You might be surprised how many people miss useful features because they couldn't be bothered.

One thing I would add is, if you know the date and approximate time that you will be collecting the vehicle, let your insurance company know in plenty of time, so the details can be swapped over.

I would take a tyre pressure gauge and check, both my RAV's came with way over inflated tyres. Drives much better once corrected.

Just for fun, if yours has the memory seat, you can ask them to demonstrate it and see if they have done the initialisation procedure otherwise it won't work, often gets missed on the PDI.
PS. its easy to do yourself if necessary.

• Like 4

When given your allocated time for collection arrive about half an hour early and have a snoop around the yard to find your car.

Although you won't be able to access it you can have some time to walk around it inspecting bodywork, etc looking for any obvious anomalies.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

I would take a tyre pressure gauge and check, both my RAV's came with way over inflated tyres. Drives much better once corrected.

Just for fun, if yours has the memory seat, you can ask them to demonstrate it and see if they have done the initialisation procedure otherwise it won't work, often gets missed on the PDI.
PS. its easy to do yourself if necessary.

Mine were 10psi over as well

• Like 3

My tyre pressures were all over the place, really bad. I’m due my first service soon and will leave instructions nit to touch the tyre pressures. It seems a bit like combi gas boiler service engineers who always come in and increase the boiler water pressure, car mechanics always want to add more air to the tyres.

• Like 2

Mine were all over the shop as well, concerning seeing it was an ex-demonstrator so it had been on the road like that.

All the new cars we have had from both Ford and Toyota have had high pressures.  They are set on the >100mph pressures.  I wonder if they do it to help the tyres on the journey from factory to dealer?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

All the new cars we have had from both Ford and Toyota have had high pressures.  They are set on the >100mph pressures.  I wonder if they do it to help the tyres on the journey from factory to dealer?

Maybe they use retired rally drivers to deliver the cars.

I think they all go on transporters now, but years ago it was a common sight on the A1 to see the drivers hitching a lift back to base with trade plates under the arm.

• Like 3

Yeah you dont see that much anymore, they all go in paired cars, or on a transporter these days.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Yeah you dont see that much anymore, they all go in paired cars, or on a transporter these days.

Never used to think twice about giving a lift to all kinds of hitchhikers in the 70s and 80s as well as the delivery drivers.

Then something seemed to change society in general, and the hikers were no longer happy with a free lift, they wanted free food,a specific destination (taxi), and sometimes even asked to "borrow" money.

Since then they get left at the kerb.😵

When I were a lad 🙄...............In my spare time I would do "Dealer swaps" Take one car to another dealer and swap a red for a blue car. I have been ALL over the country. Sometimes it was just to collect a car, I lived on the main A41 outside Chester. I would get up at daft o'clock and stand outside my front door with trade plates in hand. I could get a lift in less than 5 minutes, I loved doing it, and to top it off I was paid cash for doing it :wink:

• Like 3

First job, check the vin and plate match the paperwork, 2nd inspect the body

• Like 1

Tyre pressure can be all over as a result of the car been exposed to direct sunlight. Best to correct them next day first thing in the morning before driving off and before the sun has seen the car. Enjoy your new 🚗  👌

The tyre pressures are normally set to 60+ PSI from factory as they know the cars will be sitting around without moving for long periods and the high pressures stops them losing pressure as fast over time and also stops them flat-spotting from being sat on the same contact patch for ages.

They are supposed to drop them to spec during the PDI, but this seems to be getting skipped judging by my and others experiences with the newer TNGA cars.

They're also supposed to remove all the parts stickers and protective plastic films on things but that's something that wasn't done on mine and quite a lot of other peoples' cars.

Not major problems, but a bit sloppy for a brand new car.

Other than that just make sure the car has everything you ordered - e.g. is the right colour, has all the trims, mats, options etc. you wanted (Mine had the HUD etc. but was missing some trims which still hasn't been sorted out, but since I wasn't charged for them I've stopped caring as it's not worth the aggravation)

Make sure everything is straight, no bumps/dents, no weirdly aligned panels like the bonnet not being straight on starensis' car, tyres tread depth all fine and no damage etc.

But it's a new car and from a dealer so you have 6 months to take it back with any problems anyway so don't stress too much!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, check the fuel gauge, if its low keep asking is that enough to get me to the fuel station? are you sure? isn't that one expensive will I have enough to get to a supermarket are you sure? hint..hint..

If your lucky and they tank it up its like getting 25% off the purchase cost of the car at current petrol prices!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

Oh yeah, check the fuel gauge, if its low keep asking is that enough to get me to the fuel station? are you sure? isn't that one expensive will I have enough to get to a supermarket are you sure? hint..hint..

If your lucky and they tank it up its like getting 25% off the purchase cost of the car at current petrol prices!

Mine filled the car to the brim when I picked it up at the end of October, £75 if I remember correctly (not sure that they could afford to do it now)

10 hours ago, ernieb said:

My tyre pressures were all over the place, really bad. I’m due my first service soon and will leave instructions nit to touch the tyre pressures. It seems a bit like combi gas boiler service engineers who always come in and increase the boiler water pressure, car mechanics always want to add more air to the tyres.

Funny you should say that Ernie, my combi boiler is over 20 years old and is happy to sit at 1 bar when cold, it always has done.

The last thing the Gas engineer does before leaving is top it up to 2 bars 😕 

The first thing I do when they leave is drop it back down to 1 bar 😃

• Like 2

Can I ask how you do that Hybrid 21?

My boiler is overdue for service and is sitting at 2.5 bar cold,seems over pressured to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinB said:

Mine filled the car to the brim when I picked it up at the end of October, £75 if I remember correctly (not sure that they could afford to do it now)

My Battery was 'filled to the brim' - that would be worth something now 😀

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

My boiler is overdue for service and is sitting at 2.5 bar cold,seems over pressured to me.

If mine ever looks too high I release a little pressure by opening up a radiator bleed valve and letting some water out. It works fine for me.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I think the normal range is 1 to 1.5 bar cold, it will increase a little when hot but increasing a lot may indicate a potential problem. (again I think 1.5 to 2/2.5 bar is OK)

The dial can be inaccurate there is often a digital reading that can be obtained by pressure a button (or combination of buttons) 

Way of topic.......

• Thanks 1