Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Price rise on Rav4

Roger_N

Thanks for everyone’s replies. It’s good to get other peoples opinions on this, even when they don’t agree with my own.

@FROSTYBALLS I don’t know the meticulous details to how vehicle tax works, but I’m confident that I’m correct when I say it’ll cost me around £1750 over 5 years. Whether I pay for it immediately or after the first year is irrelevant to me. It’s still an unexpected cost which isn’t a measly amount.

I understand it’s my responsibility to manage and understand my own tax, but I think it’s unrealistic to expect someone to constantly keep check of the current list price for their purchase, especially when several months ago it was well below that £40K mark. Most people order the car and forget about it, if the seller is serious about providing good customer service they would foresee these type of issues. 

@Flatcoat I don’t expect anyone to pay for it, that’s not what I’m after. It’s the lack of communication from Toyota that I have an issue with. I’d like to have been told that when they increased the list price of the car, it’ll have a sizeable impact towards the amount of road tax I will need to pay.  
This isn’t about affordability either, just because we can afford it doesn’t mean we should happily accept extra costs and not say anything.

Anyway, I spoke to the dealer earlier today and expressed my disappointment politely. They’ve agreed to give me the maintenance pack as complementary, which I’ve accepted. 

Thanks @Roger_N. I think I’ll do pretty well overall, especially when you take your points into consideration. I feel for anyone buying a car now, prices have become crazy, wait times are even longer than before and interest rates have risen. The dealer told me yesterday it’s made their jobs very difficult.

I agree their comms appears to have been lacking but in reality what difference would it have made?
As an aside I note the PCP finance rate on the RAV is now 4.9% - up from 1.9% before Christmas. Due to an impending job change we will need a second car again and looking at overpriced used cars and the now high finance rates is depressing. 

To be fair to Toyota, the road tax situation is spelled out on page 3 of the price list, although they don't specifically say what happens if there is a price rise between order and delivery.  However, the Chancellor could change VED rates in the budget anyway and blow all those figures out of the water.  Indeed, he could change the rate of VAT, which could significantly increase the price of the car to the buyer (regardless of price protection) and also possibly tip it over the £40k threshold and incur the additional VED too - tax on tax, effectively!

Incidentally, it would be difficult for the Revenue to administer and there would be too much scope for fraud, if the VED were to be based on the price paid, rather than the list price, or the date of order, rather than the date of first registration.  For similar reasons, benefit-in-kind taxation for company cars has always worked in exactly the same way.

• Like 1

Took me a while to convince a friend to spend a bit more on a RAV4 Excel 2WD HEV, but when he was ready to order the prices gone up and tipped the car with metallic paint over 40K. Because of the extra VED charge, he placed an order on 'Hyundai Tucson HEV Ultimate' with the choice of colour and well under £40K. I prefer the way the RAV4 drives and think that Toyota hybrid system is better than Hyundai, but Tucson interior is a very nice place.

I do agree the Tucson specifications, design and styling of the interior and infotainment system are a significant step up from the RAV. However IMO the RAV has much better build quality. 

39 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I do agree the Tucson specifications, design and styling of the interior and infotainment system are a significant step up from the RAV. However IMO the RAV has much better build quality. 

The Tuscan must then have pretty poor build quality 😃

2 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

The Tuscan must then have pretty poor build quality 😃

It depends how you define build quality. I refer to solidity and quality of materials which in the RAV4/5 is very good. The styling is a different matter altogether and much prefer the Tucson but when we test drive one there was a definite lack of robustness - as an example the centre console flexed too easily. 

Comparing with my previous Volvo and Landrovers Adrian.

Also refer to solidity and quality of materials, insulation and road noise, etc

All I can say is the RAV is on a par with my previous generation Volvo V60 and a country mile ahead of the FL2 I had. However it also isn’t upto Audi/VW either. I agree about road noise although the PHEV is much quieter than the HEV. 

2 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

Took me a while to convince a friend to spend a bit more on a RAV4 Excel 2WD HEV, but when he was ready to order the prices gone up and tipped the car with metallic paint over 40K. Because of the extra VED charge, he placed an order on 'Hyundai Tucson HEV Ultimate' with the choice of colour and well under £40K. I prefer the way the RAV4 drives and think that Toyota hybrid system is better than Hyundai, but Tucson interior is a very nice place.

Not a big fan of RAV4 interior, but was driving Tucson for 2 weeks and interior is not that great also, especially the piano black mid console and other elements. The infotainment system screen was a fingerprint magnet. I wouldn't personally buy Tucson for this kind of money, also, RAV4 will have a better resell value in the future.

I had MHEV version and wasn't impressed with the drivetrain too. The car was quick enough indeed, but the initial acceleration from 0 was very aggressive, even a slight press on the accelerator pedal was causing the car to loose traction, HEV could be different though. I find RAV4 drivetrain superior and more balanced.

Overall I think the RAV4 is a good balance of solid build and reasonable materials. Whenever I look to make comparisons. I also have to factor in the reliability and resale values.

2 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

All I can say is the RAV is on a par with my previous generation Volvo V60 and a country mile ahead of the FL2 I had. However it also isn’t upto Audi/VW either. I agree about road noise although the PHEV is much quieter than the HEV. 

Agreed, I’ve been using my sons Audi Q7 for over a week while he and his family were abroad 

Everything about it says “quality” the weight of the doors, the way they close, the seats, trim, infotainment centre. But list price of the model he has is double the list price of my Dynamic.

Having said that I’m more than happy with my HEV, I will miss the “feel” of the Q7 but not the frequent visits to the fuel forecourts.

• 3 weeks later...

Rav4 Excel price increased again.

Yes, prices increases across all Rav4 HEVs for the 2023MY. This suggests to me that the 2022 model allocation is probably nearing being fully subscribed. The option of JBL & PVM has gone, so the dimwits at Toyota UK are playing with the specs again. Obviously, need to wait for the full 2023 specs to be published to know exactly what they have been up to...

5 hours ago, Roger_N said:

Rav4 Excel price increased again.

The June Price List provides pricing for MY2023 cars. The list price of MY2022 RAV4 HEVs is unchanged which is, probably, good news for anyone waiting for delivery of a MY2022 car.

As Chris says above, the MY2023 HEV no longer has the option of JBL and PVM. I suspect that will be because the HEV is moving to Smart Connect (rather than Touch & Go) - but I'm only guessing.

There is also pricing for the MY2023 PHEV. While the Dynamic Premium is 'gone', the Dynamic now has the option of JBL and PVM, or the Premium Pack including Skyview roof, JBL and PVM (just as the HEV did previously).

44 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The June Price List provides pricing for MY2023 cars. The list price of MY2022 RAV4 HEVs is unchanged which is, probably, good news for anyone waiting for delivery of a MY2022 car.

As Chris says above, the MY2023 HEV no longer has the option of JBL and PVM. I suspect that will be because the HEV is moving to Smart Connect (rather than Touch & Go) - but I'm only guessing.

There is also pricing for the MY2023 PHEV. While the Dynamic Premium is 'gone', the Dynamic now has the option of JBL and PVM, or the Premium Pack including Skyview roof, JBL and PVM (just as the HEV did previously).

To be honest I hadn't notice the My2023 change as the price list is still not showing when I go to the brochure option at the bottom of the page (which I had used) but shows up when selected in the side menu.

The Adventure grade seems to be missing also, I can't see that any other changes are listed at present other than the option you noted.

The Dynamic Premium has been missing for a month or two but if your speculation is correct the Dynamic PHEV will not get the Smart Connect as it has the option of the JBL and PVM.

The Adventure grade is still listed as a MY2022 car. The Black Edition was the MY2021 special; the Adventure is the MY2022 special; Toyota haven't [yet] announced a special for MY2023.

And, 'yes' I agree with your speculation that the PHEV will stick with the older Touch & Go for MY2023 ... but it now gets the PVM option which it didn't before.

43 minutes ago, Roger_N said:

The Dynamic Premium has been missing for a month or two but if your speculation is correct the Dynamic PHEV will not get the Smart Connect as it has the option of the JBL and PVM.

I'm not sure of the connection between Smart Connect and JBL/PVM? Am I missing something?

10 minutes ago, nlee said:

I'm not sure of the connection between Smart Connect and JBL/PVM? Am I missing something?

I was just looking at what Philip had posted.

4 hours ago, Vainona70 said:

Yes, prices increases across all Rav4 HEVs for the 2023MY. This suggests to me that the 2022 model allocation is probably nearing being fully subscribed. The option of JBL & PVM has gone, so the dimwits at Toyota UK are playing with the specs again. Obviously, need to wait for the full 2023 specs to be published to know exactly what they have been up to...

MY22 is now fully sold out and Toyota have said any orders from Thursday last week will now be MY23 the details of which are still under embargo, because if this and a specification change prices now reflect MY23, Pano roof will still be available however JBL has been removed temporarily due to microchip supply issues it will be back .

North America have just revealed there MY23 and whilst it won’t be a guarantee it is likely we will be getting the new MY21 Toyota smart connect multimedia and Digital dash display 

I took delivery of my Dynamic (extras Pearlescent paint and Panoramic Roof) 11/6/21, looking at the new price list the same model inc extras has increased by £5,255.00 or 14.5% and taken it well over the £40k VED threshold, which effectively adds another £1775 (over 6 years) to the overall price.

So if I’d have put the purchase off by 12 months, it would have cost me an additional £7k ( if I was to keep it for 6 years) glad I pressed the button when I did.