Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Intermittent Gearbox issue

Koj

Hi I need some help please.I have a 2014 2.4 petrol import Estima with 4 wheel drive button automatic gearbox.I have a issue that if cold it's ok but once warmed up and I come to a stop then pull off sometimes there is a judder thud or feeling like wheelspin even though I give minimal gas.When I put in reverse bonce warmed up then back to D there is usually a Thud also.It drives fine cold no issues only after 1 hours driving starts messing about otherwise drives perfect if I don't come to a stop.Please any help I've had gearbox oil changed also still same issue.

Do you have matching tires all around, what make, model and what is the date code on them

Sorry I have all matching tyres I don't think they are issue as it only happens when car gets warm and from stop to 1st gear pulling off only.It is a Estima 2.4 petrol 4wd gearbox 2014 import.

Might it be worth invesigating the electromagnetic coupling.?

Sits just in front of the rear diff and engages/disengages the 4wd as appropriate.

Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

Hi thank you for replying I don't use the 4wd option it is on 2wd always could it still be the electromagnetic coupling?Also the problem only starts when I've driven for a hour or car temp goes upto halfway.Ive had oil change done recently also.

I think it's all largely "automatic" as to when it goes into 4wd (up to a certain speed)...unless you select the dash button.

It may be nowt to do with it of course...was just a thought that's all.

Hi thank you for taking time to reply.I always have the 4wd switch off.It sometimes feels like it does a wheelspin from stopped to pulling off also and also a thud sometimes but not together only once warmed up.I will get mechanic to check it but don't want wrong diagnosis.

Thank you

good luck...nobody wants a wrong diagnosis.

Let us know it you find an answer.

• Thanks 1

As it only does it when it's hot, i would suggest a fluid check/change

It's not a hybrid is it ? (e-four)

if its the standard petrol it will be the K112 or K112F with a transfer case you need to find where the noise is coming from, it could be the front or rear diff or transfer case even a bad shaft - its the same as the Rav4

edit. 2014 will be All Wheel Drive (AWD) iirc it may default to on every time you get in the car - i would think it's either old or cheap tires or something in the rear (coupling, diff, diff mounts or axle(s)

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, flash22 said:

As it only does it when it's hot, i would suggest a gearbox fluid and filter change

That would have been my first suggestion, Bob.. but the OP says that he's already done the ATF change.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RUToyota said:

That would have been my first suggestion, Bob.. but the OP says that he's already done the ATF change.

i did edit my post, rear diff or transfer case fluid ? More than likely never been touched

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RUToyota said:

Sits just in front of the rear diff and engages/disengages the 4wd as appropriate.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, RUToyota said:

I think it's all largely "automatic" as to when it goes into 4wd (up to a certain speed)...unless you select the dash button.

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

if its the standard petrol it will be the K112 or K112F with a transfer case you need to find where the noise is coming from, it could be the front or rear diff or transfer case even a bad shaft - its the same as the Rav4

edit. 2014 will be All Wheel Drive (AWD) iirc it may default to on every time you get in the car - i would think it's either old or cheap tires or something in the rear (coupling, diff, diff mounts or axle(s)

Hi thanks for replying it is a 2.4 petrol the wheel spin sounds like it comes from the front.It has a occasional Thud Which from when stopped for a minute occurs now and then.I had the oil changed and the me Mechanic said oil and filter was changed recently as the oil was clean and not bits was stuck on magnet on bottom off pan.The tyres are all Michelin brand new tyres as I use car for work and want good grip.

21 hours ago, flash22 said:

i did edit my post, rear diff or transfer case fluid ? More than likely never been touched

Hi thanks for replying everyone today while car was cold I put into D took foot off brake and no movement?I gave it extra gas then there was a louder thud than usual and it drove normal at traffic lights when I stopped and started no usual thuds only a small wheel spin when I pulled out off junction.Can anyone please help.If I take to Toyota dealers if it is import and log converted will they diagnose it?

Brakes were stuck maybe? I (very very) occasionally had that with my old Yaris in winter where the handbrake/brake shoes would get stuck when it got icy outside and I'd have to break it free by reversing a bit.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes, a sticking caliper makes sense, if one wheel is held the power will get sent to the other side hence the wheel spin, the bang/thud it the caliper releasing

cycle the parking brake a few times

handbrake uses shoes in the rear disc/drum

• Thanks 1

Maybe time to seek the opinion/assistance of a garage.?..doesn't have to be a main dealer of course.

Whilst we use Toyota for our Y20 Yaris, I use a trusted independent for my Estima.

Agree...not impossible it might be a brake issue..worth investigating.

• Thanks 1

I'm jumping in here, but imagining it has a CVT transmission?

Were the annoyances apparent before the mechanic took action? The CVT transmission requires special oil and a methodical and knowledgeable approach for a transmission oil flush and replace.

It may well be the internals of the transmission. Here's a link with some useful data.
Peculiarities of Fluid Change in CVT Transmissions (go4trans.com)

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 6:31 AM, RUToyota said:

Just a thought.

On 5/7/2022 at 9:32 AM, RUToyota said:

On 5/7/2022 at 1:29 PM, flash22 said:

Hi thanks for replying it is a 2.4 petrol the wheel spin sounds like it comes from the front.It has a occasional Thud Which from when stopped for a minute occurs now and then.I had the oil changed and the me Mechanic said oil and filter was changed recently as the oil was clean and not bits was stuck on magnet on bottom off pan.The tyres are all Michelin brand new tyres as I use car for work and want good grip.

Hi everyone thanks for input.I took to garage who check oil and it was fine.It come up with a engine management light about some solinoid stuck in gearbox and started driving erratically.I Got gearbox changed supplied and fitted with gearbox oil for £1100 so far so good.

Glad you got it sorted.

I think you were very unlucky as these gearboxes are nomally pretty bomb proof AFAIK.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 6:34 AM, Koj said:

Hi everyone thanks for input.I took to garage who check oil and it was fine.It come up with a engine management light about some solinoid stuck in gearbox and started driving erratically.I Got gearbox changed supplied and fitted with gearbox oil for £1100 so far so good.

Hi, 

Please reply with garage details who done the repair; how is the car running nearly 9 months on?? Thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links