Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help me choose an Avensis

JustinNiz

hi, 

My car history is corolla -> camry -> hilux. And they were all super reliable. Then I bought a Qashqai with a renault engine and then the bills started to come in on a low mileage car.

Clutch £800 @ 40 000

Alternator and Battery £600 @ 43 000

and now injectors £1200 @ 49 000

And Im fed up now. Ive had a look a 2016 Avensis Touring Sports 1.6d4d and I like it. But then I started to read this forum and someone mentioned it has a BMW engine. Now I dont want to be in the same situation I am with the nissan. 

So which Avensis should I be looking for. My main concern is reliability. 

thank you

My humble opinion, go for petrol engine.

1,6 is weak
2,0 isn't too much boost over 1,8
->
go for 1,8 108kW, engine type 2ZR

Fuel consumption of course is higher than diesel engine, but take into account, this petrol engine has no turbo, no DPF, no adblue, no EGR valve. I'm not saying that Toyota diesel engines are bad, I'm just saying that this petrol engine is simple and allegedly reliable. And still conforms with EURO6.

• Like 4

What are you going to be using it for?

Diesel is hard to recommend what with it being the fuel of the devil now, but if you are racking up stupidly high miles and rarely go to the larger cities then it might still work for you, but if not then avoid as a lightly used diesel will tend to develop problems because it won't get hot regularly enough to keep itself in good condition.

Toyota's strengths are in its hybrids if your chief concern is reliability but they are dearer...

If you want a trouble free car that is pleasure to drive, it’s efficient and reliable look at Toyota hybrids, the model that most suit your likes and lifestyle, they have plenty to choose from. Avensis only 1.8 as already been mentioned, anything else is just similar to the other car you have. 👍

• Like 1

Got a 2014 Toyota avensis with the Toyota die hard 2.0d4d engine 1ADFTV  tbh well I'm in this category where I don't really cover big miles but we'll suppose if anything goes wrong il put it on here I bought it threw a buddy of mine that owns a dealer garage and came from BCA (British car auction) just over a year ago came with 38k on it business EDT .great spec out car .I like it tbh but if going for a avensis got for the 2014 before they put the BMW engine in them. Suppose depends where Ur at where I'm at we no problem with diesel cars here and it's got £30 tax .I'm not sure what is the saving having a petrol avensis to a diesel one but tbh my one is got plenty enough power for me anyways .

• Like 1

hi, 

Thanks for the replies. I dont do much mileage these days. But I need the estate boot space. 

These 2015+ estates only come in the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels, so are you saying stay away from both and look at the earlier models?

1 hour ago, JustinNiz said:

hi, 

Thanks for the replies. I dont do much mileage these days. But I need the estate boot space. 

These 2015+ estates only come in the 1.6 and 2.0 diesels, so are you saying stay away from both and look at the earlier models?

Yep you will see the engine code ww2 stay away from them as they are the new engines (BMW) Toyota  are putting in go for the 2014 ones just go for the ones with the last Toyota die hard engines 1ADFTV  they were put in the cars years and years ago so well known it's the car design before the newer avensis look 

On 5/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, JustinNiz said:

hi, 

My car history is corolla -> camry -> hilux. And they were all super reliable. Then I bought a Qashqai with a renault engine and then the bills started to come in on a low mileage car.

Clutch £800 @ 40 000

Alternator and battery £600 @ 43 000

And Im fed up now. Ive had a look a 2016 Avensis Touring Sports 1.6d4d and I like it. But then I started to read this forum and someone mentioned it has a BMW engine. Now I dont want to be in the same situation I am with the nissan. 

thank you

Hi, I bought a 2010 1.8TR Valvematic petrol in November last year, changing from a Jaguar 2.0d. Haven't regretted it for a moment. Not as much 'torque' as a TD but you quickly get used to using the gearbox a bit more. On a motorway, with Cruise on, it will do high 40's at 70mph no worries. Touch wood, everything works, feels typical solid Toyota reliable.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, NeilAvensisT said:

Hi, I bought a 2010 1.8TR Valvematic petrol in November last year, changing from a Jaguar 2.0d. Haven't regretted it for a moment. Not as much 'torque' as a TD but you quickly get used to using the gearbox a bit more. On a motorway, with Cruise on, it will do high 40's at 70mph no worries. Touch wood, everything works, feels typical solid Toyota reliable.

A good shout Neil. That box is a delight and I have yet to learn of one failing. Impressive mpg too, approaching Diesel consumption.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, john p williams said:

A good shout Neil. That box is a delight and I have yet to learn of one failing. Impressive mpg too, approaching Diesel consumption.

John, you are spot on; the gearbox is the sweetest changing unit I have ever come across on any car I have ever owned (and that's a lot trust me, in my mid to late 50's now). The MPG has really surprised me. I recently did a 450 mile round trip and I was getting 48mpg with ease. The engine is so quiet that, at lights etc., my (elderly) father wondered if I had stop/start as it was/is almost silent at tick over.  I have the estate and it is just so practical, cubby holes everywhere. It is as good quality (the car, overall) as any 'premium' brand I have ever owned. Better build quality than newer Merc's/BMW's etc. (in my opinion). Great cars.

2 minutes ago, NeilAvensisT said:

John, you are spot on; the gearbox is the sweetest changing unit I have ever come across on any car I have ever owned (and that's a lot trust me, in my mid to late 50's now). The MPG has really surprised me. I recently did a 450 mile round trip and I was getting 48mpg with ease. The engine is so quiet that, at lights etc., my (elderly) father wondered if I had stop/start as it was/is almost silent at tick over. It is as good quality (the car, overall) as any 'premium' brand I have ever owned. I have the estate and it is just so practical. Better build quality than newer Merc's/BMW's etc. (in my opinion). Great cars.

Many thanks Neil. As is often the case, the minority (you and me) are the best informed.

I have 20 years more experience than you and have monitored the experience of the Multidrive system since its introduction in 2011.Tell your trusted friends of its secrets. No other manufacturer can claim such reliability from its own boxes.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 3:48 PM, JustinNiz said:

hi, 

Clutch £800 @ 40 000

Alternator and battery £600 @ 43 000

thank you

hi there boss did you ever find a toyota avensis yet 

36 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

hi there boss did you ever find a toyota avensis yet 

Not yet, there's a nice white 2016 1.6d4d that I was interested in but then I heard about the BMW engine issues and stayed away.

There isn't much stock about.

• Like 1

Have you considered a petrol verso , massive boot space 

19 minutes ago, JustinNiz said:

Not yet, there's a nice white 2016 1.6d4d that I was interested in but then I heard about the BMW engine issues and stayed away.

There isn't much stock about.

aye see if can find a low miles one with the 1adftv 2.0 d4d engine there good plenty enough power tbh well enough for me its a kinda cruising comfortable car tbh im looking on that bca  site and tbh cant see any on there also only with 130k on the clock might come across one hope you fing one thats well spec  out with leather seats and sat nav dab radio  front fogs etc