Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Timingchain help for a newbie

Bassbones

Hi,

This is my first post here and I'm already asking questions. 

I'm looking at buying a 62 plate 2l diesel Avensis which currently  has mileage of 158k on the clock it is advertised as full service history although we all know place to place full can mean different things. 

I understand the engine uses a chain not a belt and these don't require the same regimented changing as the belts. My question is this....with that kind of mileage would you be looking for:

A. The dealer to replace the chain before purchase.

B. Replace it at your cost after purchase at my expense (although the cost of this is unknown)

C. Offer a contribution for the dealer to do the work.

D. They don't go don't worry about it.

I ask as a couple of years ago a chain did go on a car I had which I had sold my son and it completely wrote the car off. That was a three letter German Brand with only 110k on it and gave no warning. 

This is my first look at the Toyota brand and I want be getting it right. Unfortunately this is the only model I can find which fits our budget.

if the advice is to replace would it also right to change the water pump at the same time. 

TIA

Daz

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bassbones said:

Hi,

This is my first post here and I'm already asking questions. 

I'm looking at buying a 62 plate 2l diesel Avensis which currently  has mileage of 158k on the clock it is advertised as full service history although we all know place to place full can mean different things. 

I understand the engine uses a chain not a belt and these don't require the same regimented changing as the belts. My question is this....with that kind of mileage would you be looking for:

A. The dealer to replace the chain before purchase.

B. Replace it at your cost after purchase at my expense (although the cost of this is unknown)

C. Offer a contribution for the dealer to do the work.

D. They don't go don't worry about it.

I ask as a couple of years ago a chain did go on a car I had which I had sold my son and it completely wrote the car off. That was a three letter German Brand with only 110k on it and gave no warning. 

This is my first look at the Toyota brand and I want be getting it right. Unfortunately this is the only model I can find which fits our budget.

if the advice is to replace would it also right to change the water pump at the same time. 

TIA

Daz

im not sure about the timing chain on these 2.0 d4d 1adftv engines but suppose that miles il be interested in changing coolant and the thermostat and plus the water pump im a bit like yourself as not sure what maintenance needs done on these engines. im thinking the inlet manifold could do with taking it off and cleaning out the inlet manifold and ege valve a real go0d cleaning depends how long you want to keep it for but im one of those guys that keeps a car for a really long time like 11 years 

• 2 weeks later...

Some german brands are notorious for snapping their timing chains nowadays as opposed to their long reputation for quality and reliability. For a specific diesel engine manufacturer in those days, the timing chain would last all the way to a full engine overhaul, at about 450 000 miles at least!

But we say whoever got burnt while drinking hot milk, he will blow on cold milk as well.

Toyota engines have no such problem  check with the maintenance schedule of the repair manual. Log into Toyota-tech.eu.

If regular oil changes have been done (every 12 months/10,000, whichever comes first), the chain should be OK. Presume the car has been serviced on the mileage basis - every 10,000.

As regards coolant, after the first 10 years/100,000 miles coolant should be changed every 5 years)50,000 - so this is probably due if it hasn't already been done.

• Like 2