Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 AWD

Martin Allinson

Hello I have just purchased a rav AWD, but there is nothing to say on the reg documents it is AWD, it says it is an Excel, but that is it, is there any way I can find out, it is a 2020 model, so I don't think it will have a drive shaft.

Thank you

Martin

Look underneath for the rear driveshafts to the wheels 😀

It won't have a prop shaft but you could grovel underneath to spot the rear motor.

But easier ... on the infotainment system, press Menu > Info and select the energy monitor.  When driving along the AWD will show the energy flows to and from the rear motor ... 😉

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

9 hours ago, Martin Allinson said:

Hello I have just purchased a rav AWD, but there is nothing to say on the reg documents it is AWD, it says it is an Excel, but that is it, is there any way I can find out, it is a 2020 model, so I don't think it will have a drive shaft.

Thank you

Martin

I believe that on 4WD models there is a drive mode selection wheel next to the gear stick and on 2WD models there are buttons and no whee. 

Screenshot_20220505_063135_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch_edit_453467526149554.jpg

Screenshot_20220505_063029_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch_edit_453444499051641.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kos_ta said:

I believe that on 4WD models there is a drive mode selection wheel next to the gear stick and on 2WD models there are buttons and no whee. 

Screenshot_20220505_063135_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch_edit_453467526149554.jpg

Screenshot_20220505_063029_uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch_edit_453444499051641.jpg

Note also that the AWD has Trail mode and the associated selector button. Trail mode is not available on the FWD.

• Like 2

The different layouts of the 'mode' selector buttons adjacent to the gear selector - AWD on the left; FWD on the right:

Screenshot 2022-05-05 093422.png

• Like 1

Sensible advice given already. Just to add, there is a clue on the registration document - check the towing under O - O.1 braked will show 1650 if AWD but only 800 if 2WD. F.1 should be 2215 if AWD.

The Type and Variant fields might offer more but I haven't a clue how to decode them !!

• Like 2

Excel trims are available both in FWD & AWD mode. So having Excel trim is no guarantee of AWD. The Trail button and the circle besides gear shifter (instead of a square hole) is indicator for AWD.

My 2021 model is also badged on the rear door as AWD-i

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, Saxacat said:

Mine too 👍

On 5/5/2022 at 6:55 PM, Saxacat said:

2019 and early 2020 models don't have AWD-i badging; later 2020 models onwards do ... somewhat inexplicable but true! 😉

2 hours ago, philip42h said:

2019 and early 2020 models don't have AWD-i badging; later 2020 models onwards do ... somewhat inexplicable but true! 😉

My 2018 wasn't badged but my 2021 is.

Mine is badged too...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links