Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 / 2 litre test drive

fourbanks

For those thinking about purchasing one of the above, my own tests are that I've just carried out at my local dealer is that they were both identical in the drive, so iv'e confirmed with my dealer I will still be purchasing the GR sport 1.8 as discussed with him back in early February. The dealer has given me a choice of number plates and as usual very bland and nondescript. I hope this will be useful to those who are thinking about purchasing the above but still remain undecided 

• Like 1

1.8 for efficiency, 2.0 for performance. Whichever of these two is more important will simply point towards the right choice. There is 10mpg on average difference, for some people this is nothing but for company drivers and those who does high mileage and pay out of their pocket 1.8 will make more sense. Either of them is still best in its class because they have unique hybrid technology without real competition, only Evs are similar but they does not use petrol. 

• Like 2

I test drove a 1.8 C-HR & then ordered a 2 litre one without driving it. 

I'm doing less then 8k miles a year so the extra fuel consumption of the 2 litre isn't a worry as it's still better then my previous vehicle. 

I just couldn't put up with the lack of performance & noise of the 1.8 version after coming from a 130 bhp / 230 Nm torque turbocharged petrol 1.2 Peugeot 308. 

The 2 litre hybrid is so much more relaxing to drive as it just gets on with the job without any fuss & doesn't feel underpowered. 

I didn't buy a Toyota hybrid for its fuel economy, I bought it for its bulletproof reliability & hassle free low cost of long term ownership - the excellent fuel economy is an added bonus. 

• Like 4

I’m surprised you found them identical to drive. I own the 2.0, and have driven both the earlier and current 1.8s. BIG DIFFERENCE in the way they both drive - the 1.8 revs with the slightest throttle inputs, the 2.0 can rely on torque alone within the Eco band. The 2.0 is surprisingly quick when you floor the throttle, and is generally much more effortless to drive - as you would expect with around 60bhp more. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

I’m surprised you found them identical to drive. I own the 2.0, and have driven both the earlier and current 1.8s. BIG DIFFERENCE in the way they both drive - the 1.8 revs with the slightest throttle inputs, the 2.0 can rely on torque alone within the Eco band. The 2.0 is surprisingly quick when you floor the throttle, and is generally much more effortless to drive - as you would expect with around 60bhp more. 

Where I live, that extra power that you quote won't be needed, hence in my 2 test drives my speeds had to be no more than 60mph but in general 40mph. As I say, I didn't notice any difference and would be classed by my dealer as being adept with 50 years of driving and of straight talking. 

Going fast or even thinking of going fast, i can assure you will get a speeding ticket in the West Sussex East Sussex Brighton/hove area where the average speed is 20 /30 mph 

both cars got to 60 mph in the same time frame, and both cars make an odd noise when reversing. 

• Like 2

Can't see you getting any use out of the 2.0 in 20/30 zones.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Hardy888 said:

Can't see you getting any use out of the 2.0 in 20/30 zones.

While slow speed running is pretty similar between them, the 2 litre hybrid has other advantages over the 1.8.

The 2 litre hybrid power train has a larger hybrid Battery capacity & MG2 so it can power along in EV mode at higher speeds compared to the 1.8 hybrid. 

Toyota claim up to 75 mph EV mode for the 2 litre hybrid. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I'm doing less then 8k miles a year so the extra fuel consumption of the 2 litre isn't a worry as it's still better then my previous vehicle. 

I just couldn't put up with the lack of performance & noise of the 1.8 version after coming from a 130 bhp / 230 Nm torque turbocharged petrol 1.2 Peugeot 308. 

The 2 litre hybrid is so much more relaxing to drive as it just gets on with the job without any fuss & doesn't feel underpowered. 

I didn't buy a Toyota hybrid for its fuel economy, I bought it for its bulletproof reliability & hassle free low cost of long term ownership - the excellent fuel economy is an added bonus. 

I agree wholeheartedly. I did some local driving today (max speed limit was 50mph) I had to use the power in the 2. to get out a situation, which was no fault of my own. I truly believe that if I had been driving a 1.8 there would have been an accident.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Exactly similar views and needs here. I drove diesel which was rather torquey, and then switched to 3 pot petrol turbo which had more power than 1.8 hybrid but I felt that was slow. IMO, the problem with any slow vehicle is that you have to plan overtaking, be cautious on joining motorways etc but they are perfect for urban driving. I did not bother to test drive 1.8 but test drove 2 litre Corolla and went for 2 litre C-HR. I did consider economy though- my 2-litre hybrid CHR is averaging 50mpg and 1 litre petrol used to do 45ish mpg. 

• Like 1

There will be very interesting if we take two Corolla same body but one to have 1.8 and the other 2.0 and drive them from London to Birmingham and back just to compare fuel consumption. I think they might be very similar, but if used in town the 1.8 will most likely beat the 2.0 car. 

I get the feeling Toyota introduced the 2 litre hybrid power train to attract buyers away from other vehicle manufactures. 

1.8 is still there if you wish to be frugal & save fuel.

2 litre available if your used to other manufacturers more normal / powerful engines & would like the benefit of being a Toyota hybrid owner but can also move swiftly / have plenty of get up & go if required. 

Toyota now has both bases covered. 

• Like 1

I never considered the 1800, my last few cars have been 200bhp and over so I didn't want to buy something that was too much of a drop.

• Like 3

I was planning on testing both, but I tested the 2.0 litre and it still gave me a smile on my face after a reluctant move from a 2.5 litre turbo impreza. The fuel economy in comparison is amazing and the noise levels from the cvt/engine are very good compared to what I was expecting.  I did a trip at the weekend of about 50 miles in the Peak District and returned just shy of 60 mpg and we are averaging about 50 mpg including my wife's very short commute, so the economy on a new car is excellent. Pretty sure I would have noticed a difference with the 1.8 but it's horses for courses and the small economical benefits for me didn't matter when I was used to towing a fuel tanker around. 

• Like 4

While fuel is getting more and more expensive, I'm still happy with the current MPG of my 2.0 and I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of MPG for the smoother driving experience and sheer pleasure.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

While slow speed running is pretty similar between them, the 2 litre hybrid has other advantages over the 1.8.

The 2 litre hybrid power train has a larger hybrid battery capacity & MG2 so it can power along in EV mode at higher speeds compared to the 1.8 hybrid. 

Toyota claim up to 75 mph EV mode for the 2 litre hybrid

Good point made 

The prius is a good yardstick of how good a vehicle is over the long term, and that the 1'8 is the engine to get, I was told. i understand that viewpoint and with car I have now a Mazda 2 litre but with the same horsepower as the 1.8 of which I'm getting next week and i guess with both being equal i won't notice any difference. 

i just hope the 1.8 GR sport turns out to be as good as the Mazda car I have now, and am sure it will be 

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The 2 litre hybrid power train has a larger hybrid battery capacity & MG2 so it can power along in EV mode at higher speeds compared to the 1.8 hybrid. 

i can do 75 in ev mode on the 1.8

I also have a 1.8 GR Sport on order (Obsidian Blue). Ordered 2nd Feb. Still no update.

I'm coming from a 2.0 TDI VW Tiguan. Which, with my driving it drinks the fuel. Has 150hp, so 28 more than the 1.8 Hybrid. Websites say avg mpg is 45. However my commute includes a lot of Stop Start and 90% is under 30mph. On cold days I'd get 30mpg, once I got 25!! So Hybrid suits me, as I also have to park on street, so no charging ability.

This time I really wanted to focus on maximising my MPG, I don't need that extra 0.2. The 1.8 is cheaper to buy and to run. In all honestly, although on paper the 2.0 Tiguan is a little quicker.. The 1.8 felt no different in terms of performance, I was pleasantly surprised. Sadly there was no 2.0 available to test drive. But as I'm coming from 150HP, I knew I didn't need any quicker.  I'm just sick of spending £300 a month on fuel.

Because of my performance downgrade I did decide to go for the GR Sport trim, I preferred the look and I know it's just a gimmick but I really like the HUD and I found it helpful to help get the car into EV mode with the power bar.

• Like 2

Having just bought a 1.8 TS and coming from a 1.5 TDI Mercedes Citan, I was slightly worried when loading the car for our Easter holiday in Scotland (two adults, one child, car fully loaded including a sledge for the sand dunes...). However, motorway driving, driving in the Highlands etc. was absolutely fine. My wife and I were both really impressed and 'blamed' the electric motor for the good performance - and the car averaged 65 mpg (manual calculation, not the trip computer). So very impressed, really. 

• Like 3

All the hybrids, even the missus 1.5 yaris, feel good as they all get that low-down instant electric shove from standstill.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, fourbanks said:

For those thinking about purchasing one of the above, my own tests are that I've just carried out at my local dealer is that they were both identical in the drive, so iv'e confirmed with my dealer I will still be purchasing the GR sport 1.8 as discussed with him back in early February. The dealer has given me a choice of number plates and as usual very bland and nondescript. I hope this will be useful to those who are thinking about purchasing the above but still remain undecided 

Hello Guy

My experience of the 1.8 vs 2.0 thing is very different to yours and you may like to read my account under the thread 1.8 vs 2.0 on this forum. I've now driven 1000miles in the 1.8 and about 7000miles in the 2.0 so a bit further than a normal dealer demo :biggrin:

On 5/5/2022 at 6:52 PM, fourbanks said:

Where I live, that extra power that you quote won't be needed, hence in my 2 test drives my speeds had to be no more than 60mph but in general 40mph. As I say, I didn't notice any difference and would be classed by my dealer as being adept with 50 years of driving and of straight talking. 

Going fast or even thinking of going fast, i can assure you will get a speeding ticket in the West Sussex East Sussex Brighton/hove area where the average speed is 20 /30 mph 

both cars got to 60 mph in the same time frame, and both cars make an odd noise when reversing. 

It’s true if you drive very gently, the two will be similar. The extra power & torque from the 2.0 is more noticeable in the following circumstances:

- accelerating onto & during motorway drives 

- carrying lots of people / load

- driving in hilly terrain (peak district) 

The difference in 0-60 when driven foot to floor (not often done by anyone) is around 3 seconds, which is a huge difference. If you drive gently with both cars it will be similar (by the same logic a Porsche 911 will also do 0-60 in a similar timeframe). 

in 20/30mph roads (if this is your predominant driving environment) then the 1.8 is perfectly suitable, reinforced by the taxi drivers engine of choice in the Prius. 

• Like 2

The 1.8 has ample power for me and I've never felt the need for more. Possibly it takes more skill to make up for the power difference but that doesn't bother me. I also rarely feel the need to drive fast. Most of the time it doesn't significantly affect the journey time anyway.

I've just come back from a vacation in North Wales. At no point did I feel a lack of power despite the Welsh hills. Nor did my 1.8 have any problems keeping up with other vehicles in the outside lane of the motorway - you just have to be prepared to actually press the accelerator all the way down - which is after all why Toyota gave us that much pedal travel and allowed the engine to reach those RPM.

The 2.0 probably feels more refined at high speeds on the motorway but apart from one brief section where I was trying to get past Birmingham before rush hour I was happy to sit in lane one and bimble along at 60 mph.

As for MPG:

190 miles driving up north and another 100 miles driving to various golf courses - 67 mpg according to the dash, 59 mpg pump to pump (but different pumps).

190 miles back down - dash is currently showing 68 mpg.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question to all that use to have previous generation 1.8 hybrid, how does it compare to the later one-  same, less power or slightly better? The difference is  12-14bhp down. Thank you. 

3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

The 1.8 has ample power for me and I've never felt the need for more. Possibly it takes more skill to make up for the power difference but that doesn't bother me. I also rarely feel the need to drive fast. Most of the time it doesn't significantly affect the journey time anyway.

I've just come back from a vacation in North Wales. At no point did I feel a lack of power despite the Welsh hills. Nor did my 1.8 have any problems keeping up with other vehicles in the outside lane of the motorway - you just have to be prepared to actually press the accelerator all the way down - which is after all why Toyota gave us that much pedal travel and allowed the engine to reach those RPM.

The 2.0 probably feels more refined at high speeds on the motorway but apart from one brief section where I was trying to get past Birmingham before rush hour I was happy to sit in lane one and bimble along at 60 mph.

As for MPG:

190 miles driving up north and another 100 miles driving to various golf courses - 67 mpg according to the dash, 59 mpg pump to pump (but different pumps).

190 miles back down - dash is currently showing 68 mpg.

My current Mazda cx3 has a 2 litre engine automatic, and comes with the same horsepower of the 1.8 corolla, hence i didn't notice any difference in the test drive. i never took a test drive 3 years ago in the Mazda cx3 2 litre upgrade, the same as the corolla 2 liter today, so that's maybe why iv'e not noticed any difference at all