Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 / 2 litre test drive

fourbanks

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Question to all that use to have previous generation 1.8 hybrid, how does it compare to the later one-  same, less power or slightly better? The difference is  12-14bhp down. Thank you. 

I had a 16 plate Auris 1.8 Hybrid Excel TS  which was a damn good vehicle by the way. So I tried a 1.8 Corolla test drive and certainly noticed a lack of go when taking off. But the engine was less noisy when revving which it did alot on hills. It was an ok vehicle but when I test drove the 2.0 Corolla it was just on another level. So smooth and refined with effortless power. The engine was very quiet on the same test hills and very little revving in any situation. 1.8 Corolla is a better all round ride than Auris was and a smoother engine. Just down on grunt if you need it, where as the Auris did have a nice power reserve when required. That loss of 14bhp is very noticable as far as I am concerned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, bigblock said:

I had a 16 plate Auris 1.8 Hybrid Excel TS  which was a damn good vehicle by the way. So I tried a 1.8 Corolla test drive and certainly noticed a lack of go when taking off. But the engine was less noisy when revving which it did alot on hills. It was an ok vehicle but when I test drove the 2.0 Corolla it was just on another level. So smooth and refined with effortless power. The engine was very quiet on the same test hills and very little revving in any situation. 1.8 Corolla is a better all round ride than Auris was and a smoother engine. Just down on grunt if you need it, where as the Auris did have a nice power reserve when required. That loss of 14bhp is very noticable as far as I am concerned.

Thank you so much 👌 This is what I needed to know from a first hand. So basically Toyota did reduce a bit of max power from the ice to benefit better efficiency and offer an extra power with 2.0 variant that probably will be close to older 1.8 as fuel consumption. Interesting move indeed. 👍

Thanks again 

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Thank you so much 👌 This is what I needed to know from a first hand. So basically Toyota did reduce a bit of max power from the ice to benefit better efficiency and offer an extra power with 2.0 variant that probably will be close to older 1.8 as fuel consumption. Interesting move indeed. 👍

Thanks again 

2.0 variant is alot more powerful than older 1.8 by a country mile. 180bhp against 136bhp off the top of my head but fuel consumptoin very similar suprisingly. Going from my old 1.8 Auris to a 2.0 Corolla is a world of differance in terms of power take up. But I did like the Auris alot.

• Like 3

The bottom line is the pirus and the corolla are both 1.8 L 4-cylinder well established and world-class cars and trying to improve the spec however large or small to a new type of 2 litre can have undesired consequences at a later date 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The bottom line is the pirus and the corolla are both 1.8 L 4-cylinder well established and world-class cars and trying to improve the spec however large or small to a new type of 2 litre can have undesired consequences at a later date 

Prius is irrelevant seeing as Toyota UK no longer imports it to the UK market plus it was never offered with the 2 litre hybrid power train.

18 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

Prius is irrelevant seeing as Toyota UK no longer imports it to the UK market plus it was never offered with the 2 litre hybrid power train.

The point i was making is that the pirus is a world leader in hybrids and has the 1.8 engine, the same as the corolla 1.8 and if in doubt about your purchase then it would be best to stick to that logic. 

This guy on YouTube will explain better than i on how to way up the pro and cons on the corolla and lexus

all of his clips are well worth watching 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkRWnfsmUQA&t=3s

• Like 1

Car care nut is amazing! They should have one of him and one of Scotty kilmer in every Toyota dealership.

13 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

The point i was making is that the pirus is a world leader in hybrids and has the 1.8 engine, the same as the corolla 1.8 and if in doubt about your purchase then it would be best to stick to that logic. 

I have no doubts about my purchase, I happily paid the extra to have the 2 litre hybrid power unit in my C-HR as the 1.8 is of no interest to my vehicle usage.

Also the Corolla Cross will debut the new Toyota hybrid system which uses the same 2 litre power unit mated to the all new 5th generation hybrid system.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/all-new-corolla-cross-further-expands-toyotas-offer-in-the-highly-competitive-c-segment/

Yeah same. I have no concerns about the 2 litre. 1.8 or 2.0, Toyota know how to make engines and they know how to make hybrids.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

I have no doubts about my purchase, I happily paid the extra to have the 2 litre hybrid power unit in my C-HR as the 1.8 is of no interest to my vehicle usage.

Also the Corolla Cross will debut the new Toyota hybrid system which uses the same 2 litre power unit mated to the all new 5th generation hybrid system.

https://newsroom.toyota.eu/all-new-corolla-cross-further-expands-toyotas-offer-in-the-highly-competitive-c-segment/

I happily paid the extra to have the 2 litre hybrid power unit in my C-HR as the 1.8 is of no interest to my vehicle usage.

Well that's good logic 🙂 when i went to Lexus about getting a new vehicle the salesman didn't think the 2 litre was any good for me hence he recommended the Toyota 1.8 gr sport with the HUD which would have cost £5000 extra on the Lexus. i very rarely use the motorway, so there would be no point in getting the 2 litre. Had Lexus had a 1.8 it still would have been not a good match, paying a higher premium for just the cosmetics and insurance etc 

of course if i were using the motorway daily then it's no-brainer the 2 litre would have been perfect 

• Like 2

If the 2 litre hybrid hadn't been available I highly doubt even as a Toyota employee I would have test driven let alone bought a Toyota product - I would have looked elsewhere.

• Like 2

As I said at the start of this thread, I took a test drive on both the 1.8 and 2 litre and Lexus 2 litre and the drive was the same on all 3 tests, therefore I had no choice but to stick with what I have now the Mazda the cx3 which is a 2 litre with the same engine spec as the 1.8. I'm not the sort of person who goes out of his comfort zone and likes to experiment and pay out extra if I don't have to. 

At the end of the day, i'll update this thread when i get the handover and done a few miles to see if i made the right decision. If not, i will part exchange it and get the 2 litre simple 🙂 

It's all about the driving style, isn't it.

If you enjoy the good start 0-60, pushing your car when joining a motorway, quick overtaking on an A road, or just accelerating quickly the 2L is the one to go.

If the above isn't essential and you are a calm driver, the 1.8 will do everything the 2L does, but with the bonus of few extra MPG. As I've already mentioned somewhere - the days I used to push my car any single time are gone( years ago I had an old BMW 320 petrol 1989 year with the straight 6 cylinders which had to be driven to the limit every time - it used to do around 20mpg though, but I never cared about the petrol bill with this car ) I find mine 1.8 TS absolutely capable of everything which a car should do. It is very comfy, very relaxing to drive, quieter then my previous diesel, extremely good on fuel - my worst tank so far, measured at the station (not by the dash) was 57.5mpg. 

I did test drive both before I decided which one to go for and I must say I did like the 2L a bit more, but for my case the extra cost with the 2L wasn't justifiable. My test drive for both 1.8 and 2L was around 20 minutes on a motorway and both vehicles once at 70mph were absolutely the same for me. Did the motorway test, cos my commute is mainly on M3 and the 1.8 is great sitting at 70mph for hours. 

Well if the motorway speed limit in UK was a bit higher then the 2L is definitely the one to go if doing mainly motorway driving

• Like 4

17 hours ago, fourbanks said:

My current Mazda cx3 has a 2 litre engine automatic, and comes with the same horsepower of the 1.8 corolla, hence i didn't notice any difference in the test drive. i never took a test drive 3 years ago in the Mazda cx3 2 litre upgrade, the same as the corolla 2 liter today, so that's maybe why iv'e not noticed any difference at all 

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm reading this that you didn't actually test drive the 2ltr Corolla? Which would make this whole thread based on hypothetical opinion. One 2ltr from one manufacturer can not be compared to the 2ltr of a different manufacturer, and then assumed it will be the same.

Unless I've read that completely wrong, and then I apologise.

If you live in Germany and often travel on the autobahn then 2.0 is must have., but as many says in uk 1.8 is simply perfectly adequate. I found Toyota hybrids are not suitable for high speeds even with larger engines, not because of the engine power or lack of it, but because of the transmission. Even Camry or large Lexus car with big engines when at speeds over 75-80mph you ask them to go further or to keep up going uphill and they immediately feel noisier and not direct, exactly opposite of what would be the experience in petrol or diesel equivalent even from the same make and model. The idea is the bigger the engine the less rubbery feel when pushed but even then Toyota hybrids and low they are designed to work limits high speeds races. One of the reasons why journalists does not like them at all and never recommend to the public. For me these cars are the best available with ice unless high performance or high towing power is required. 👌🔋

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Notfer said:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm reading this that you didn't actually test drive the 2ltr Corolla? Which would make this whole thread based on hypothetical opinion. One 2ltr from one manufacturer can not be compared to the 2ltr of a different manufacturer, and then assumed it will be the same.

Unless I've read that completely wrong, and then I apologise.

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. I'm reading this that you didn't actually test drive the 2ltr Corolla?

I did, it was my first test drive. i have had 2 test drives on each car, the 1.8 the 2 litre and the Lexus 2 litre. The car i have now is the Mazda cx3 basic 2 litres, which has the same engine spec as the 1.8 corolla. Sorry for any confusion  

• Like 1

I've been a passenger in enough various 1.8 Toyota hybrids over the years & they where all noisy / not very quick when the driver wanted to get up to speed on to a dual carriageway etc.

I've driven a 1.8 hybrid C-HR, again noisy & not very quick when you want to accelerate.

I ordered a 2 litre C-HR without test driving one then a few weeks later had a test drive in one, it's night & day performance compared to the 1.8 version. 

The 2 litre hybrid gets up to speed when required without fuss & with a lot less noise at the same time. 

My previous vehicle was a Peugeot 308 T9 Puretech 130 petrol 1.2 turbo 3 cylinder engine, 130 bhp & 230 Nm of torque, the 1.8 Toyota hybrid engine was a slug compared to that & the only thing it could better it on was average fuel consumption. 

The 1.8 hybrid is perfect for people trying to save fuel or who just want to trundle about.

The 2 litre hybrid is for those who want an enjoyable drive. more performance when required & are not really bothered about the extra fuel costs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Niky said:

It's all about the driving style, isn't it.

If you enjoy the good start 0-60, pushing your car when joining a motorway, quick overtaking on an A road, or just accelerating quickly the 2L is the one to go.

If the above isn't essential and you are a calm driver, the 1.8 will do everything the 2L does, but with the bonus of few extra MPG. As I've already mentioned somewhere - the days I used to push my car any single time are gone( years ago I had an old BMW 320 petrol 1989 year with the straight 6 cylinders which had to be driven to the limit every time - it used to do around 20mpg though, but I never cared about the petrol bill with this car ) I find mine 1.8 TS absolutely capable of everything which a car should do. It is very comfy, very relaxing to drive, quieter then my previous diesel, extremely good on fuel - my worst tank so far, measured at the station (not by the dash) was 57.5mpg. 

I did test drive both before I decided which one to go for and I must say I did like the 2L a bit more, but for my case the extra cost with the 2L wasn't justifiable. My test drive for both 1.8 and 2L was around 20 minutes on a motorway and both vehicles once at 70mph were absolutely the same for me. Did the motorway test, cos my commute is mainly on M3 and the 1.8 is great sitting at 70mph for hours. 

Well if the motorway speed limit in UK was a bit higher then the 2L is definitely the one to go if doing mainly motorway driving

I had two of those 2.0 straight 6 E30 Beemers too, an old B reg (which must’ve been one of the earliest )and an H reg (which must’ve been one of the last).  I recall them being fast too but you had to drive them hard, they were flat and gutless below about 3k revs.  They only had 125/127 bhp and 0-60 time of 10.2 secs tho… does that mean you could beat them with a modern van (or a 1.8 C-HR or Corolla)??

How times have changed tho, today people want a 4x4 to pull a caravan.  Years ago a bog standard Dolomite or a Marina or something did the job just fine.  Obviously caravans have changed and got heavier too tho, and vehicles are expected to keep up with the traffic nowadays.

• Like 2

You can't compare hybrid and none hybrid engines directly.  

I think one big difference is the 2.0 uses the M20A, one of the new 'dynamic force' engines, which can switch between Atkinson/Miller-cycle and Otto cycle, whereas the 1.8 is the tried and tested 2ZR-FXE which AFAIK is still Atkinson-cycle only.

One of the biggest characteristics with the Atkinson/Miller-cycle engines vs Otto-cycle is they don't have much torque, esp. at the low end, so they need to rev higher to deliver more power.

I've always guestimated the 1.8 is the equivalent of a 1.4, and the 1.5 a 1.0 in terms of the amount of air-fuel mix they suck in, but with the newer engines when they switch to Otto-cycle you get the full 1.5/2.0L of air-fuel mix - that's a significant boost!

However, you also get the high fuel-usage of the Otto-cycle too and it's very noticeable! I do find when I'm keeping mine in that 2000-ish rpm sweet spot of Eco+ the engine barely sips fuel, but when I get into the Power zone the engine note changes and the fuel consumption starts to really shoot up as the engine goes to 3000rpm and beyond! The pull you get is very satisfying tho'... :unsure::naughty: 

I've certainly felt a big difference between the M15A in my Mk4 and the 1NZ-FXE in the Mk3 in the way they deliver power and torque as you pile on the accelerator.

I think it's definitely possible to get the high MPGs with the 2.0 but you have to be much more disciplined about keeping it in the high-efficiency zone than you do with the 1.8 - Even in the Mk4 I find pull you get from giving it the beans very alluring which is really hampering me from getting back into the 80's...! I try to take the advice of Hicks from Aliens - short controlled bursts! :laugh: 

(Hmm, y'know, I hope they make a 4.1L dynamic force engine.... the M41A :laugh: )

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

If you live in Germany and often travel on the autobahn then 2.0 is must have.

Yes, on the German Toyota Corolla Forum, the 2.0 is a very popular choice - for obvious reasons 😜

• Like 1

Just now, bunnyrabbit03 said:

Yes, on the German Toyota Corolla Forum, the 2.0 is a very popular choice - for obvious reasons 😜

I had used my Auris 1.8 hybrid to cross Germany twice in 2017 and hybrids on the autobahn were only uk registered Priuses and Aurises mostly Uber drivers going on holiday and nothing local. The most common cars at the time in both Germany and Austria were Passat and Golf plus Audi s a4 and a6 all,those in estate variants and they were flying high 🚀 Once you of the motorways and enter in towns and hybrids started to emerge although in some German villages we visit locals we’re watching us as we just had arrived from another planet with so quiet electric car 🔋😀, same happened on few occasions even here in uk country sides where no hybrids probably exist even now. 
Anyway I had a enjoyable trip and I was keeping up most of the time with slower moving traffic 70-80 mph, did tried few times a bit over but this is definitely not a car for any speeds above these numbers. Now I do 200+ miles on average every day on U K motorways around London and the car is brilliant. 60+ mpg in summer easily and can go even more if keep lower speeds but the car likes around 65mph the most. , I actually do too 👍 

2 hours ago, forkingabout said:

I've been a passenger in enough various 1.8 Toyota hybrids over the years & they where all noisy / not very quick when the driver wanted to get up to speed on to a dual carriageway etc.

I've driven a 1.8 hybrid C-HR, again noisy & not very quick when you want to accelerate.

I ordered a 2 litre C-HR without test driving one then a few weeks later had a test drive in one, it's night & day performance compared to the 1.8 version. 

The 2 litre hybrid gets up to speed when required without fuss & with a lot less noise at the same time. 

My previous vehicle was a Peugeot 308 T9 Puretech 130 petrol 1.2 turbo 3 cylinder engine, 130 bhp & 230 Nm of torque, the 1.8 Toyota hybrid engine was a slug compared to that & the only thing it could better it on was average fuel consumption. 

The 1.8 hybrid is perfect for people trying to save fuel or who just want to trundle about.

The 2 litre hybrid is for those who want an enjoyable drive. more performance when required & are not really bothered about the extra fuel costs. 

I agree with your thoughts on this  topic. I coudn't put it better myself.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fourbanks said:

Well that's good logic 🙂 when i went to Lexus about getting a new vehicle the salesman didn't think the 2 litre was any good for me hence he recommended the Toyota 1.8 gr sport with the HUD which would have cost £5000 extra on the Lexus. i very rarely use the motorway, so there would be no point in getting the 2 litre. Had Lexus had a 1.8 it still would have been not a good match, paying a higher premium for just the cosmetics and insurance etc 

of course if i were using the motorway daily then it's no-brainer the 2 litre would have been perfect 

To be fair the sales person would probably try and push you into a car that is more readily available , the 2.0 litre isn't about Motorway use in my humble opinion once you are at cruising speed I would suspect there would be very little difference unless you need a sudden increase in speed. I have done both motorway use and a lot of uphill down dale use in the Peak District and the quiet smooth pick up in performance is exactly what I was hoping for from the 2.0 and I have the re assurance that if I need the boost in power it's there. I was dreading coming out of a 2.5 litre turbo Impreza but so far it's been no big deal. The HUD by the way is fantastic.