Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


1.8 / 2 litre test drive


Recommended Posts

Yeah, one of the biggest draws for me getting the Yaris Mk4 was the HUD - Hardly any cars have a HUD and to have one in the B-segment is so rare!

I just wish they would make it more available in the new cars rather than limiting it to a single trim and/or option!

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I never got use to these hud and even I had headaches when was trying it. What I like in GR Corolla and Yaris are the seats and the steering wheels. , and the dash on the Corolla too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They are quite a marmite thing - A lot of people find them distracting, but coming from Mk1 and Mk2 Yarisussuesuss I just can't use a normal dashboard in a car anymore because I'm not used to looking down and refocusing my eyes back and forth so frequently and it fatigues my eyes really quickly when I do, esp. when trying to spot where a tiny needle is and then map to what speed that corresponds to. Because of that I usually don't bother when I'm driving a 'normal' car and have only a vague idea what speed I'm going at most of the time!

(That said I suspect this is the case with the vast majority of drivers; Most of them only seem to check when they see a speed camera which is usually the worst time to take your eyes of the road! :laugh: )

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

i have now taken delivery of my 1'8 and find that it's as powerful as my 3-year-old 2 litre Mazda, so for anyone who just wont's normal to fast legal driving then the 1.8 should be more than ample, especially if doing around like me under 10'000 miles per year. If you intend to do more than the 2 litre is the much better bet 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, fourbanks said:

i have now taken delivery of my 1'8 and find that it's as powerful as my 3-year-old 2 litre Mazda, so for anyone who just wont's normal to fast legal driving then the 1.8 should be more than ample, especially if doing around like me under 10'000 miles per year. If you intend to do more than the 2 litre is the much better bet 

Displacement is meaningless without other figures attached. Also, off the line Mazda NA engines have been relatively gutless for years, so not all that surprised a 2L Mazda compared to the 1.8 Corolla is of little difference.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Having test driven both hybrid engine options in a C-HR I came to the following conclusion.

1.8 hybrid is ok for pottering about & saving fuel if you don't mind the slow performance & noise if you happen to press the accelerator hard. 

2 litre hybrid is a more up to date ICE, much more relaxing to drive, just gets on with the job without fuss, is still pretty decent on fuel & can get up to speed / overtake much much easier when required. 

I'm doing less then 8k miles per year so the extra fuel cost of running the 2 litre hybrid isn't a worry.

The 1.8 hybrid is just to slow & noisy in operation when pressed for what I need in a vehicle power unit. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, forkingabout said:

Having test driven both hybrid engine options in a C-HR I came to the following conclusion.

1.8 hybrid is ok for pottering about & saving fuel if you don't mind the slow performance & noise if you happen to press the accelerator hard. 

2 litre hybrid is a more up to date ICE, much more relaxing to drive, just gets on with the job without fuss, is still pretty decent on fuel & can get up to speed / overtake much much easier when required. 

I'm doing less then 8k miles per year so the extra fuel cost of running the 2 litre hybrid isn't a worry.

The 1.8 hybrid is just to slow & noisy in operation when pressed for what I need in a vehicle power unit. 

I couldn't agree more. To me the 1.8 and 2.0 were like chalk and cheese. No comparison, with the 2.0 winning hands down for me

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the 2 litre hybrid can still return journey figures like these without trying, why would anyone want the slower & more noisy 1.8 hybrid? 

PXL_20220520_115039261 - Copy_022151.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

When the 2 litre hybrid can still return journey figures like these without trying, why would anyone want the slower & more noisy 1.8 hybrid? 

PXL_20220520_115039261 - Copy_022151.jpg

Why is it slower? My 1.8 can still reach the legal speed limits. And it only gets (slightly) noisy if the nut behind the wheel floors the accelerator - something which is rarely ever needed. The impact on most journey times of more power is minimal to non-existent. Who cares if you save one minute off a typical commute? And in rush hour you'd probably struggle to do that consistently due to the vagaries of congestion at one or both ends.

You can make better progress through skill and finesse. Understanding how the traffic is flowing around you and timing your approaches to junctions. In my experience those are skills that the 'power users' tend to lack. Probably because the extra power on tap makes them lazy.

But to fair 68.9mpg from a 2.0 version is very, very good. I'd be intrigued to know how you've managed that given that it would be uncommonly high even for a 1.8. The only time I've seen that or better was on very long journeys at a steady 60mph. Still - however you did achieve it we can be pretty certain that if you'd driven a 1.8 the same way on the same journey it would likely return a figure in the mid 70s 😉

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, forkingabout said:

When the 2 litre hybrid can still return journey figures like these without trying, why would anyone want the slower & more noisy 1.8 hybrid? 

PXL_20220520_115039261 - Copy_022151.jpg

It's a lot cheaper and still uses less fuel. If someone doesn't care about acceleration/fun factor the 2.0 is madness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I have had many 1.8, and a couple of 2.0, I consider my MPG as quite good, I get 74 MPG in a 1.8 in the summer, and best I could do in a 2.0 was 58, real world figures for my type of driving (I don't drive like little Miss Daisy) 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These figures from 2.0 hybrids are impressive indeed 👌👍️, but remember they are not realistic. This high mpg’s are only achievable in very specific conditions and driving style and anything out of them will adjust accordingly. There always will be a difference between 1.8 and 2.0 at around 10mpg for the 1.8. Sometimes they can come close but again in certain situations only., most of the time 1.8 will be the winner. 👍 

Best way to find out how much your 1.8 or 2.0 consumption is in real world  is to drive two same spec Corollas one with 1.8 and one with 2.0 engines, same place, same time, same style, same fuel. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 2.0 is faster in the sense that it has better acceleration, not that it can go faster (Well, it probably can go faster, just not legally :laugh: ). I can understand the draw tho' as I imagine it's like the difference in characteristics between the Mk3 and Mk4 Yaris hybrids. The Mk3 is okay, but it just doesn't haul-ass on demand in the very satisfying way the Mk4 does.

The 2.0 would require a lot more discipline to get high MPGs than the 1.8 because all that extra torque on tap is very hard to resist; My average mpgs have been getting worse even tho it's getting warmer because I can't resist booking it all the time :unsure: :laugh:  (I'm driving in Eco mode so why is it so easy to put the gauge into the PWR zone?? :crybaby::laugh: )

(Then again it might be the weird fuels I've been putting in lately as I play hunt-the-cheapest-petrol-station instead of just filling up at the same place I always do...!)

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Haha, my old 1.8 Auris is a real fighter. Just back from the bp garage and results are these: 61.2mpg, better than the car estimates of 59mpg, range showed after refilling 501 miles 👌

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Something that is missing from this thread is a bit of balance. 
 

How about his? There is a place for both the 1.8, AND the 2.0.
 

I own the latter, but have experienced both. The 1.8 is ‘adequate’ and especially suitable for the more sedate driver, who isn’t bothered about performance, and would rather save a few £, and take a more relaxed pace. That’s fine, and probably a majority of Toyota hybrid owners. 

The 2.0 is has much more torque, and surprising performance - contrary to some beliefs, that is relevant, especially if you drive on the motorway with a few passengers or cargo. The 2.0 is more effortless - you don’t have to dig as deep into the pedal travel, and can accelerate with traffic without even breaching the eco zone, and without the slightest movement on the Rev counter. It circumvents much of the CVT traits that frustrate people. It has a bigger Battery, and motor than the 1.8. The bigger Battery (alongside dynamic force tech) I’m sure, is why it’s so good on fuel. That’s a big list of benefits over the 1.8. 
 

the key here is BOTH engines are relevant, and not one size fits all. 
 


 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i come from a school of thought in keeping with what's proven over many years. That being the 1.8 and nothing else. iv'e never been influenced by speed or looks

if i had a larger drive, i would have got the Toyota Camry as that's always been a classic worldwide in the 2.4 and 3 litre 6 cylinders. They always drove like an electric car anyhow, just a pity they were not environmentally friendly. 

Everyone should take one out for a test drive, especially those who had the 6 cylinders of the past 

the camry with a 2.5 is still a fine car and a good price if you can find one, as it's been discontinued 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, fourbanks said:

i come from a school of thought in keeping with what's proven over many years. That being the 1.8 and nothing else. iv'e never been influenced by speed or looks

if i had a larger drive, i would have got the Toyota Camry as that's always been a classic worldwide in the 2.4 and 3 litre 6 cylinders. They always drove like an electric car anyhow, just a pity they were not environmentally friendly. 

Everyone should take one out for a test drive, especially those who had the 6 cylinders of the past 

the camry with a 2.5 is still a fine car and a good price if you can find one, as it's been discontinued 

That’s strange, since your last car was a 2ltr Mazda…

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Other notable differences that swayed me to the 1.8. Significantly bigger boot in the hatchback and £1800 cheaper. So 1.8 Design or 2.0 Icon. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Notfer said:

That’s strange, since your last car was a 2ltr Mazda…

 

i should have added being from a Japanese manufacturer for quality. That 2 litre being renowned for reliability, the same as their 1.5 engine. The Toyota 2 litre is new in design terms, hence i went for the tried and tested 1.8 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's definitely good to have a choice and Toyota offer the right one I feel. However you will never convince me that the 1.8 is 'underpowered' or noisy. I've just driven back home from Hinksey Golf course which entails a stint on the A34 then the M40 on a late Sunday afternoon and the car kept up perfectly well. Okay so I spent most of the time in lane one doing 60 but I moved out at a couple of junctions and always had ample power to accelerate up to lane two speeds. And at M40 J10 I was able to pass several slower vehicles and get onto the A43 with no stress. That was the only time I pushed the car into the PWR section of the eco gauge and even then only just. As usual the other drivers were fannying around trying to work out which lane to use and where they were - I just sailed through and past them because I knew what I was doing.

Obviously the 1.8 is not 'as powerful' as the 2.0 but to suggest that the 1.8 is underpowered is silly. It has more power than a sensible driver normally needs and is more than adequate for British roads.

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That instant punch at motorway speeds is what I really missed when I had the Mk2 1.33 - To go from 56-60 to 70mph took what felt like an age and either required a double-downshift or back-off-and-long-runup!

I was so used to being able to just plant the accelerator in-gear and be at 70 within a couple of seconds from the Mk1 D4D that it was just frustrating in the 1.33. It's so nice to have that ability again in the Mk4 as I can drive slower, knowing that I can go faster instantly and at any time I like without having to prepare beforehand!

It's all about that torque delivery!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

That instant punch at motorway speeds is what I really missed when I had the Mk2 1.33 - To go from 56-60 to 70mph took what felt like an age and either required a double-downshift or back-off-and-long-runup!

I was so used to being able to just plant the accelerator in-gear and be at 70 within a couple of seconds from the Mk1 D4D that it was just frustrating in the 1.33. It's so nice to have that ability again in the Mk4 as I can drive slower, knowing that I can go faster instantly and at any time I like without having to prepare beforehand!

It's all about that torque delivery!

 

But the 1.8 hybrids are very responsive, all you need is to floor it and it comes to life. If you have a good Battery charge even may surprise you how nice and torque becomes, it has this nice pull and you feel even some pressure to the seat, obviously not like in Nissan GT-R but good enough imo. I often see people with Prius, Corolla and ch-r flying pass me and those are 1.8 as I know how to recognise them. I think the only time when you may need a bit more power is when the car is fully loaded with passengers and luggage and you loose inertia on a step uphill drive, add empty Battery and then indeed you may need a headphones to lower the engine scream., other than that they are perfectly fine for daily drives. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I'd forgotten how much push the Battery can give. Also that rather nice whine you get as the motor spins up.

I mean it's not the roar of a turbo but it's a nice 'Okay, I'm getting serious now' sound effect 😄

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only time I've really felt the lack of the 1.8 is pulling away from M40 J11 up to Middle Cheney. In my Jazz if I floored the accelerator I could be doing 100 mph at the three quarter point. The car would have an eager 'yeah! Let's do it!' feel belying its popular image as a lumbering old-fogey's car.

The 1.8 starts to run out of steam and seems to top out at 90 mph. All the way up the hill it feels like it's out matched and it just unable to do what the driver wants.

But hey - I don't often do that. Especially since working from home became permanent. If all you want is to get up to 60 (or even 70) on the dual carriageway it can do that well enough.

But it's interesting how the the Jazz 1.3 can clearly wipe the floor with the Corolla's 1.8.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share






×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership