Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2nd key

David Dougherty

Hi just bought Yaris Design 2021.

It came with just one master key and a manual key.

Also this model does not have start stop button you have to use the key in ignition.

Where is the best place to get a spare master key

Thanks

By the sound it, what you have is a remote key and a non-remote key. For our Aygo we got our second remote key from the supplying dealer.

Do you really need a 2nd remote key?

Can you not use the remote key everyday & keep the non remote key safely at home? 

• Like 1

Seriously?? It surely should have come with 2 remote keys in this day and age! Even my Mk1 and Mk2 came with 2 remote keys!!

My Excel came with 2 Smart keys!

That can't be right!

Edit: According to the manual that is right; Can't believe they'd be so cheap with the keys! Esp. since usually only the remote key allows new keys to be coded, so if you lose it you need new locks and an ECU! Ridiculous!

I can't believe it would come with only one remote key... if it was the rock-bottom Icon spec then maybe, but certainly not the Design and up! That's disgraceful! If I'd known that I'd have made the second remote key a condition of of the sale!

The easiest place to get a second remote key is the dealer, but will probably be fairly expensive, certainly over £100!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Seriously?? It surely should have come with 2 remote keys in this day and age! Even my Mk1 and Mk2 came with 2 remote keys!!

That can't be right!

Thats what you get with and non push button car, you only get 2 fobs with the Keyless Go or Smart Entry and Keyless Go

• Like 2

I only had one key when I purchased our Aygo in February.  I purchased a new key from the dealership, the cost of the key and the coding of the key cost me £106.20 but this may vary on the type of key.  I had to have the registration document to prove ownership of the car before I could order the key which took about two weeks to arrive.  The new key was coded while I waited, or more accurately sat with a book while they provided me with hot chocolate, and took just the hour.

• Like 3

I received 2 key fobs with our 2022 Design. 

Icon bought May last year, I ordered one, from the dealer, at £76.88 for the key and £66 for the labour in coding it.

Both of us drive the car, each preferring their own key. Only new car we've bought where this was an issue usually 2 fobs and 1 master.

Having given a low score on their in-house survey for this and other issues it was provided free of charge as goodwill.

• Like 2

Our Design only came with 1 key.  2nd key supplied as part of the deal.  It would appear that the non remote key will not turn the alarm off until you put key in ignition.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 10:19 PM, Starensis said:

I received 2 key fobs with our 2022 Design. 

Good to see they have altered this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kental said:

It would appear that the non remote key will not turn the alarm off until you put key in ignition.

The alarm system will use the transponder immobiliser chip inside the key to recognise its a valid correctly coded key being used & then it will disarm the alarm. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Kental said:

Our Design only came with 1 key.  2nd key supplied as part of the deal.  It would appear that the non remote key will not turn the alarm off until you put key in ignition.

That’s new to me and strange. All new cars always have two keys. 

• Like 1

I know that my car 2003 is from a different era.

But it came to me with 3 keys,2 black with the transponders and 1 grey with no buttons on it.

Also a tag with a number stamped on it.

I am guessing the number could be used to order a new key from a Toyota dealer, hope I don't need to 🤨 £100 or so for new one I guess.

No idea what the grey key is for unless for valet parking , but then if it has no transponder it would not deactivate the immobilizer 🤔

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

That’s new to me and strange. All new cars always have two keys. 

Sorry 2 keys, only 1 remote, the 2nd remote was included as part of the deal.

4 hours ago, forkingabout said:

The alarm system will use the transponder immobiliser chip inside the key to recognise its a valid correctly coded key being used & then it will disarm the alarm. 

From the handbook it appears if you lock the car with the key it doesn’t activate the alarm 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kental said:

From the handbook it appears if you lock the car with the key it doesn’t activate the alarm 

Correct as its considered a security risk to the whole alarm system having the alarm activated / deactivated by the door lock barrel. 

• Like 2

Yeah it'd be a bit pointless having a security system that could be disabled by a mallet and a screwdriver :laugh: 

• Like 3

• 4 months later...
On 5/5/2022 at 5:27 PM, David Dougherty said:

Hi just bought Yaris Design 2021.

It came with just one master key and a manual key.

Also this model does not have start stop button you have to use the key in ignition.

Where is the best place to get a spare master key

Thanks

Did you manage to find a spare master key, David?

• Like 1

Yaris Cross came with two keys but unlike the earlier Corolla no serial number tag. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, Cyker said:

That can't be right!

Edit: According to the manual that is right; Can't believe they'd be so cheap with the keys! Esp. since usually only the remote key allows new keys to be coded, so if you lose it you need new locks and an ECU! Ridiculous!

I can't believe it would come with only one remote key... if it was the rock-bottom Icon spec then maybe, but certainly not the Design and up! That's disgraceful! If I'd known that I'd have made the second remote key a condition of of the sale!

The easiest place to get a second remote key is the dealer, but will probably be fairly expensive, certainly over £100!

I got the icon spec on the mk3, it came with 2 remote fobs! 

• Like 1

I believe any new car should come with two keys. These used one even a year old should also come with two keys and if not then second one likely had been misplaced. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I believe any new car should come with two keys. These used one even a year old should also come with two keys and if not then second one likely had been misplaced. 

When I traded my Corolla in, it was specified that I had to have two keys or the exchange value would be reduced.

Had I only had one key and my trade in was reduced, would the garage have voluntarily provided a second key on resale?  If a previous owner stall had the second key, how sure would you be that your new car was secure?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

When I traded my Corolla in, it was specified that I had to have two keys or the exchange value would be reduced.

Had I only had one key and my trade in was reduced, would the garage have voluntarily provided a second key on resale?  If a previous owner stall had the second key, how sure would you be that your new car was secure?

Well there is no guarantee about that, however everyone buying a used car has to push dealers for two keys and if only one available push again for second one as part of the deal or price reduction up to the new key value, 2-£300 or more 👍

• Like 2