Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Charging my Corolla

Louie

Hi Guys 

Now having been caught out twice with a flat Battery i have invested in a smart Battery charger (see pic).

This charger boasts overheat,short circuit,low voltage,reverse connection protection. It is suitable for lead acid and lithium batteries and can trickle charge. Now i need some advice on which Battery and the terminals i use to make the charger leads. Do i use the battery in the boot or the under the bonnet connections. The RAC rescue guy plugged the leads to the red connector in the fuse box and the black to what looked like any piece of metal under the bonnet.

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4786.JPG

IMG_4788.JPG

Hi, 

Best to connect the leads directly to the Battery in the boot and leave it until is completely charged. Do that once a month and your Battery will last for ages. 👍 Front connection points are for emergency use only and Toyota does not recommend for full Battery charge although many use them without any issues. 

• Like 1

I’ve not seen anything ‘official’, but as Tony said above it’s probably best to charge directly to the Battery. That said, I’ve always charged mine via the fuse box ‘live’ port under the bonnet with no issues. It’s a jump start connection, so designed to feed power to the Battery. It was this logic that led me to use it. My CTEC smart charger seems happy enough using it 

• Like 2

Hi

For the Battery in the boot do i  disconnect the Battery leads first as obviously they will be live ? then switch on the charger having connected up the leads, sorry for the dumb question.

As for the fuse arrangement connection for under the bonnet i remember the RAC man using the red connector for the fuse box but not sure about the black lead which  seemed to be a random connection on anything metallic.

I think disconnecting the Battery leads as unnecessary and such a PITA that you would soon stop doing it monthly. 

I don't know your charger but I have wired my charger cable direct to the Battery and then plug the charger into that cable. 

In my setup, my charger is secured to a board in my garage, I open the bonnet, and plug in and switch on. 

For my next car I will do the same though the battery  be under the back seat. 

The problem is so cpomon I see no issue with the garage doing it before delivery. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roy124 said:

I think disconnecting the battery leads as unnecessary and such a PITA that you would soon stop doing it monthly. 

I don't know your charger but I have wired my charger cable direct to the battery and then plug the charger into that cable. 

In my setup, my charger is secured to a board in my garage, I open the bonnet, and plug in and switch on. 

For my next car I will do the same though the battery  be under the back seat. 

The problem is so cpomon I see no issue with the garage doing it before delivery. 

I think I remember seeing somewhere that you should disconnect the earth lead but I'm  not sure why that might be

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links