Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo dead at the key?

AuntyWelder

Hi Folks,

I have a 2006 Aygo with a starting issue.

I filled it up with petrol, and when I went to start it there was nothing at the key. The dash lit up with a flashing STOP light, but it wouldn't turn over.
The AA moosh checked the Battery and that was fine, and we then tried to bump it but nothing.
He plugged in his kit and said there were no error codes but he couldn't connect to the immobiliser so he diagnosed a faulty immobiliser.
I sourced and fitted a second-hand immobiliser kit (keys, ECU, barrel, transponder, dash/speedo, immobiliser and central locking unit) but it made no difference.
I messaged the AA moosh to find out exactly what he found and he sent me this:
'There were no error codes, as there is no communication with the immobiliser control unit.
Even the engine control unit didn't have any codes in it.
Just a no start signal in the engine control unit when I checked for it in the actual values.'

As a note, before the issue, when you turned the key it took a couple of seconds before it turned over and started.
I also found a tracking device under the dash - presumably an insurance tracker but I can't see how this would cause an issue.
Any ideas?

Many thanks,
Jason

13 hours ago, AuntyWelder said:

I also found a tracking device under the dash - presumably an insurance tracker but I can't see how this would cause an issue.
Any ideas?

Is it just a tracking device? Some are also an additional immobiliser for insurance companies 'peace of mind'.

Check how many connections there are to it - a tracking only device will likely only have 2 or 3 (power, ground and possibly switched power).

keys, ECU, barrel, transponder, dash/speedo, immobilizer and central locking unit) but it made no difference.

Why did you change all of this when it wasn't required, tbh you have made the issue more complex

do you have a picture of the black box, it was either behind the glove box or  on the driver's side A pillar

Manual or auto ??

These insurance blackbox trackers are a menace; There's been several documented cases where they've disabled a car years after they were installed when the car has been through a bunch of different owners, usually due to dodgy wiring finally failing or the unit losing contact with the mothership or something that causes it to go into a disable mode.

It's not like you even get much of a discount using them! Certainly not enough to offset the damage they can cause, esp. when they are spliced into the wiring.

It should be mandatory that insurance companies remove them when they are no longer being used.

I reckon you should get it removed before you do anything else...

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links