Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear selector position B

Michael L

Yey another query on my new Touring Sports, but this forum is brilliant! Can anyone tell me about the B position on the gear selector? There is mention in the manual but it's not clear what it does or when to use the position.

Thanks in advance.

It's for engine breaking in a hybrid, I tend to use it for going down steep hills, saves using the brakes as much

• Like 3

Here's a video to explain how the B mode works.

• Like 1

Thanks for this video. No wonder the manual doesn't make it clear! Everyone should watch this.

Only on the 1.8 though.

The only problem i find on using the B mode is that on the MyT App it claims I brake too hard.  Also when travelling on dual carriageway at 50mph right in the middle of that journey the MyT app also claims i'm braking too hard... even though i'm not.

B-mode engine brakes really hard when you let go of the accelerator, at least on my Yaris. I've never used it outside of experimenting as I've yet to find a situation where it does anything useful.

Maybe if I ever drive around the steep hills around Bath/Bristol...!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tech429 said:

The only problem i find on using the B mode is that on the MyT App it claims I brake too hard.  Also when travelling on dual carriageway at 50mph right in the middle of that journey the MyT app also claims i'm braking too hard... even though i'm not.

I think that you'll find over time, as you use and understand how the Toyota Hybrid system works, that you are still braking as you did with a non hybrid car. I was being chided for "brusque" braking, but not so much now. You learn to anticipate stops and slowdowns much sooner. Or not, depending on how you feel about adapting to the car.

2 minutes ago, Stopeter44 said:

I think that you'll find over time, as you use and understand how the Toyota Hybrid system works, that you are still braking as you did with a non hybrid car. I was being chided for "brusque" braking, but not so much now. You learn to anticipate stops and slowdowns much sooner. Or not, depending on how you feel about adapting to the car.

I think that is it... but still think I drive just as normally as a standard car, but I do anticipate when to start braking much earlier to prevent to harsh braking - but the app still claims i'm braking hard.

Yes, I know what you mean.

It has taken me about 6 months to adjust, I couldn't understand why I was being chided for harsh braking. I think it's called muscle memory, you get used to doing things a certain way without thinking. Such as reaching for the door handle or the window actuator, it all takes a while for the brain to adjust, same with your feet.

• Like 1

For Toyota hybrids it is beneficial to slow down more progressively with moderate force. Adds up more power to the Battery and also uses actual brakes . When doing so you keep brake discs and pads in good shape, and extend the life of them. If you are too easy on the brakes they may become rusty and you will need to replace them every 4 years or so, not because they been worn out but because scored and corroded mot tester will note that. 👍

Well if it makes you feel any better, my current tank average is 77.6mpg and my acceleration and braking scores on the display that appears when you turn the car off are both 1 out of 5 :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Well if it makes you feel any better, my current tank average is 77.6mpg and my acceleration and braking scores on the display that appears when you turn the car off are both 1 out of 5 :laugh: 

Correct 👍

When you drive more spirited  you are actually putting a lots of energy into the Battery that you can use afterwards. When you drive slow like granny what you do is running Battery low all the time and constant ice work to regenerate electricity. Pulse and glide technique it is not available in granny mode. 👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sooooo.... what you're saying is me driving like... the way I do... is good for the environment...? :naughty: :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Where I live in Norfolk there is not much call for the B position; the exception is Gas Hill in Norwich. However I am now holidaying near Deepcar South Yorks and I'd say that B is essential round here. It really makes a difference on these hills. It would quickly trash the pads otherwise.

14 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

The operation of the engine to act as a mechanical resistor is the most obvious difference between the 1.8 and the 2.0 and of course it also has the B function on the gear selector which the 2.0 doesn't. Weirdly the action of the engine under braking reminded me of the airbrakes on a plane as the rev counter swings round and the brake force increases and then swings back again as the car or plane slows. :blush:

I don't know why in the RAV they even bother with the pseudo S modes, when it would make much more sense just to have a B like the Yaris and Corolla.

20 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Unless on a steepish downhill, it is not recommended to use B mode.

• Like 3

I found B mode helpful when going continuously downhill at some country lanes and follow up traffic flow. It saves you pressing the brake pedal all the time. You can also control the braking force with the accelerator if you want the car to slow down more gently. Once you at more level ground switch back to D and enjoy smooth driving experience. 👍 

• Like 2

B mode wastes power hence that's why it's meant for steep downhill travel. Shame Toyota never explained it properly in the manual. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 1:26 PM, Anthony Poli said:

B mode wastes power hence that's why it's meant for steep downhill travel. Shame Toyota never explained it properly in the manual. 

Well actually I was told (and i looked it up too) that all the B mode does is use the engine to brake - the engine is just a pump (sucking air in and then igniting it for power and blowing out exhaust) so it uses the sucking of the pistons - with no fuel being used - to brake the car.

In a normal ICE car when going downhill let off the accelerator and the engine holds you back (but still draws in fuel)... the Hybrid engine just does the same but no fuel used.

Yes B mode should only be used if on steep hills... but it does work, but you still need to brake occasionally...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

Well actually I was told (and i looked it up too) that all the B mode does is use the engine to brake - the engine is just a pump (sucking air in and then igniting it for power and blowing out exhaust) so it uses the sucking of the pistons - with no fuel being used - to brake the car.

In a normal ICE car when going downhill let off the accelerator and the engine holds you back (but still draws in fuel)... the Hybrid engine just does the same but no fuel used.

Yes B mode should only be used if on steep hills... but it does work, but you still need to brake occasionally...

Forkingabout's post with the YouTube video link or the weber video?

Other sources maybe economical with the explanation of the Toyota hybrid system in B mode.

17 minutes ago, Anthony Poli said:

Forkingabout's post with the YouTube video link or the weber video?

Other sources maybe economical with the explanation of the Toyota hybrid system in B mode.

The Car Care Nut and also on a Toyota site (tried to find the article but can't now).

2 hours ago, Tech429 said:

ICE only cars when going downhill and you hold back accelerator the engine spins but does not draws fuel, injectors time is 0s. Same as the hybrid. The reason why is uneconomical to drive Toyota hybrids in B mode is because when used in the beginning the B mode does not waste energy but regenerate energy similar to full evs. However the hybrid batteries are small and gets topped up full very quickly ( quicker in B mode) and soon after the Battery is full the ice will spin at higher rpm 2000rpm even more to discharge the Battery to more appropriate level. Here is where you are using petrol unnecessary and this event cause lower fuel consumption at the end not the free roll downhill with B mode engaged. 👌👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

ICE only cars when going downhill and you hold back accelerator the engine spins but does not draws fuel, injectors time is 0s. Same as the hybrid. The reason why is uneconomical to drive Toyota hybrids in B mode is because when used in the beginning the B mode does not waste energy but regenerate energy similar to full evs. However the hybrid batteries are small and gets topped up full very quickly ( quicker in B mode) and soon after the battery is full the ice will spin at higher rpm 2000rpm even more to discharge the battery to more appropriate level. Here is where you are using petrol unnecessary and this event cause lower fuel consumption at the end not the free roll downhill with B mode engaged. 👌👍

Better worded than I did.

The weber auto video explained the process better than the car care nut and why not to use it when not in downhill situations.

• Like 1