Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear selector position B

Michael L

I never get dinged for that because I don't use the brakes unless I'm stopping. That's what my old instructor(*) told me "Brakes are for stopping and correcting your mistakes". No matter how well designed it is the hybrid system cannot recover all the kinetic energy lost while braking so it's better not to have to brake in the first place.

Another big advantage of this technique is that to do it successfully you have to develop excellent acceleration sense and road awareness, both of which will make you a safer driver. And if I do need my brakes I have the full force of them available to help. Someone who uses their brakes habitually might only have 'a bit more' available in an emergency situation.

But what MyT chides me for is harsh acceleration, despite the fact I almost never push the ECO gauge into the PWR section. Given how slothfully the blue guide bar expects (and how dead the car feels in ECO mode) it's not so surprising. But for all that I'm a laid-back driver I refuse to accelerate like a one-legged dog that's been dead for a week. And anyway - I always thought close to wide-open-throttle was the most efficient way to accelerate.

(*)Funnily enough I learnt to drive while living in Craig-Y-Don and my instructor was an ex-police officer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I never get dinged for that because I don't use the brakes unless I'm stopping. That's what my old instructor(*) told me "Brakes are for stopping and correcting your mistakes". No matter how well designed it is the hybrid system cannot recover all the kinetic energy lost while braking so it's better not to have to brake in the first place.

Another big advantage of this technique is that to do it successfully you have to develop excellent acceleration sense and road awareness, both of which will make you a safer driver. And if I do need my brakes I have the full force of them available to help. Someone who uses their brakes habitually might only have 'a bit more' available in an emergency situation.

But what MyT chides me for is harsh acceleration, despite the fact I almost never push the ECO gauge into the PWR section. Given how slothfully the blue guide bar expects (and how dead the car feels in ECO mode) it's not so surprising. But for all that I'm a laid-back driver I refuse to accelerate like a one-legged dog that's been dead for a week. And anyway - I always thought close to wide-open-throttle was the most efficient way to accelerate.

(*)Funnily enough I learnt to drive while living in Craig-Y-Don and my instructor was an ex-police officer.

All my views too. We must have sat side by side at Primary School, Andrew😊

• Like 3

5 hours ago, john p williams said:

All my views too. We must have sat side by side at Primary School, Andrew😊

Maybe 🙂

I did go to primary school in Congleton (Blackfirs) but the family moved to Devon in 1973 when I was six.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:08 PM, Tech429 said:

The Car Care Nut and also on a Toyota site (tried to find the article but can't now).

I watched that recently, he said you absolutely should not drive in B mode all the time 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 2:51 PM, AndrueC said:

Not many hills there 😁

Only the Little Orme and Great Orme.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 3:46 AM, Daveya said:

I watched that recently, he said you absolutely should not drive in B mode all the time 

Yes only when going down hill to prevent overuse of brakes and brake fade.  It does work well too.

1 hour ago, Tech429 said:

Not many hills there 😁

Only the Little Orme and Great Orme.

I once decided to cycle around the Great Orme - I hadn't realised just how big it was. The ride back down to the West Shore was great. I also once broke the rear spindle of my bike trying to power up Penryhn Hill. Never underestimate the power of the Ormes 😁

• Like 1

Just now, AndrueC said:

I once decided to cycle around the Great Orme - I hadn't realised just how big it was. The ride back down to the North Shore was great. I also once broke the rear spindle of my bike trying to power up Penryhn Hill. Never underestimate the power of the Ormes 😁

Oh how true 😁

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Yes only when going down hill to prevent overuse of brakes and brake fade.  It does work well too.

It would have to be a very steep or long hill! :laugh: 

The regen is very strong in the newer hybrids so I can't imagine ever needing B unless the hill is so long the Battery gets charged to max and I lose the regen...!