Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Whirring cooling fan noise from rear battery compartment

DavidinDerbyshire

Just taken delivery of my 2019 Rav 4 Excel and am thoroughly delighted but I am curious to know whether the whirring of what sounds like a cooling fan from under the rear offside seat when the vehicle is stationary with the power switch on is normal or should I have it looked at?   It sounds like the constant purring of a cat.

And also the kick action on the auto boot lid doesn't appear to work but maybe it is not standard on some variants?

Comments appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. 

I imagine there is a cooling fan in there, but I've never heard mine.

You need to make sure that the air vents are not covered or blocked by anything.

Also I would take the air vent cover off and check the filter and make sure it's clean and not blocked in any way.

If so the batteries will overheat and the fan will be working overtime.

The kick action may not be fitted to your vehicle?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

I imagine there is a cooling fan in there, but I've never heard mine.

You need to make sure that the air vents are not covered or blocked by anything.

Also I would take the air vent cover off and check the filter and make sure it's clean and not blocked in any way.

If so the batteries will overheat and the fan will be working overtime.

The kick action may not be fitted to your vehicle?

If you have never heard it that is enough for me to go back to the dealer and have it checked. Thanks for the info.  I can't tell from the handbook whether my model should have kick to unlock but there again the handbook doesn't cover the SOS button in the overhead switch set either.  Had to Google that to find out about the new laws on SOS devices. 

• Like 1

Kick action boot is non standard on the first gen5 rav4, i believe. Remote, or button inside beside the steering wheel or old fashioned button on the tailgate. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links