Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help. Corolla 2.0 hybrid est. 2020 map update.

Jon S Palmer

Downloaded update to computer [showing] and received activation code.

Expanded zip file on computer to a folder.

Put USB into computer and downloaded 'un zipped' files  [6] to USB.

Placed USB into car socket under dash near glove box.

NOTHING. Not a sausage. Tried ignition on, ignition on standby, ignition off, radio on, radio off, car connected to internet. NOTHING.

Anyone help please as current map is 2019 and going on holiday so could do with being upto date.

Jon P.

Hi Jon. I think I might know where you went wrong. I am using Windows 10 by the way. Now once you have the downloaded file on your computer it should be one big FMU file. What I did next was plug in a USB stick to computer and format it to FAT 32. Then drag the entire FMU folder to the USB drive in one big lump. Then windows automatically expands the folder and splits it into the 6 files. When finished you will have one single FMU folder on the USB stick but it will have been expanded by windows. Plug USB into vehicle and wait for initialization to complete. This can take a 2 or 3 minutes. You will then be asked for the activation code then the installation will begin. You do not need to connect to the internet by this method. But keep the vehicle in 'ready mode' as it will take around 1 hour 20 mins to install. Hope this helps Jon.

Hi Michael. Thank you for this. Have now tried several times but no go. Sorry.

Below is what is on computer after un zipping and also on NEW formatted Fat32 stick but alas nothing when plugged into car.

Jon P.

Untitled.png

As bigblock said. On your USB stick you need the full FMU folder, i.e. one level up from what you currently have. I think you could create a folder called FMU on the USB stick and then just drag the six files into it. It is quicker than transferring the whole lot again.

This is what you should see on your memory stick

toyota_update.jpg

• Like 1

Once the FMU file is on the memory stick head out to the car. Get it into Ready mode (ignition on) let the media unit settle down and then insert the USB into the USB port. As Bigblock says, it will take a three or four minutes for the unit to recognise the update and you will be asked for the activation code.

1 hour ago, Jon S Palmer said:

Hi Michael. Thank you for this. Have now tried several times but no go. Sorry.

Below is what is on computer after un zipping and also on NEW formatted Fat32 stick but alas nothing when plugged into car.

Jon P.

Untitled.png

Hi Jon. This will not work. These files are inside the FMU folder. Only the FMU folder must be showing on your USB stick. Look at the pictuer Big D has posted. If you double click the FMU folder you see the 6 files within it. But the files must be inside the FMU folder on your USB stick and not exposed like you have done.

It isn't necessary for the 6 files to be inside the FMU folder on the stick  -  it will work perfectly well if the 6 files are loose as long as the stick is otherwise empty  -  or at least that is the case with mine.

No.  The real problem here is that the zip file hasn't been unzipped, merely copied from the PC to the stick.  Unzip on the PC and then copy the results to the stick.  Also, with big zipped files like this I find that 7-Zip is most reliable.

The screenshot is from the previous update but the same applies.  As mentioned previously you need to unzip the attachments, create a folder FMU, then copy the unzipped files and checksum file into the folder.  You will know if it's correct as the other files will end with .ISO

Ensure the usb stick is blank other than the FMU folder.  Start the car and insert the USB stick.  It usually takes 2 or 3 minutes for the drive/folder to be validated so don't panic.  Enter the code when requested and sit back for 75ish minutes needed for installation.

image.thumb.png.7e766c1cd2fb6755bbd2ae133a0a3273.png

Hi and thank you ALL for your contributions but I am going to commit hari kari.

Tried,have I tried, in fact at so many stages I have left the house and gone to the car I have worn a path.

New clean formatted sticks.

RE downloaded my purchase from Toyota site to computer.

Put the zip onto stick. NOTHING.

Deleted from stick.

Unzipped file and onto stick NOTHING

Tried zip file and un zip on stick NOTHING.

Put each FMU file onto clean stick. NOTHING.

Each of these stages I tried with ignition on,engine on, waiting 5 minutes etc.

Got NOT gardening done at all. each download was upto 45 minutes.

USB works for a stick with music on so believe that is ok.

Untitled.pn 3.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png 2.png

Untitled.png 4.png

55.jpg

What size stick are you using?

Mine likes a memory stick less than 32gb. 

Meant to add that I have a dedicated 16gb (2.0) memory stick, which is formatted to FAT32 which I use only for my updates.

From the first picture in the series, the folder FMU appears to be inside the folder 2022v1_MapUpdate.  This won't work.  FMU needs to be the only folder in the stick root.  Or, as I said before, get the 6 files loose in the stick root and delete everything else,

Apropos recent posts, I use a 32 gig stick with no problems.

13 minutes ago, the brace said:

Apropos recent posts, I use a 32 gig stick with no problems.

Perhaps I should have said mine likes a memory stick less than or equal to 32gb. I've used a 32gb stick before, and now have a dedicated 16gb stick I uses specifically to update my maps.

Hi. Sticks used are 16gb. 32gb., and 64gb.,

Martin. As in the last picture all 6 files were the only ones on the stick.

Obviously my computing skill are limited.

J.P.

In the last picture the files are not on the stick  -  they are in Pictures.

In the second from last they are not on the stick either, but on Drive F, which looks like it might be a CD or DVD drive.

Get the files into the root of a (16 or 32 gig stick) and post a screendump back here.  The we can see how to help.

In your screenshots you have your view set to 'ICONS' as opposed to 'LIST' which is fine as each file name ends in .ISO and the checksum file is present.

Your problem, as mentioned by The Brace is that you have an extra and unnecessary folder on your usb drive (2021vMapUpdate).  When you click on the drive letter for your USB it should only show a folder called FMU, nothing else, and when you click on that FMU folder you should see only the ISO files and checksum file.  Any other combination or additional folders will result in failure.

Hi Martin.

The reason for looking to be in Pictures is that I made a folder in pictures to put the screenshots into.

No CD or DVD drive used.

All sticks were new and formatted.

You have been great but my mind is scrambled now. I cannot remember all that I have tried,

Would you be so very kind to, in simple terms, run me through the process from my downloading the zipped folder, from purchase, to my laptop. ??

Martin.

Just checked computer downloads and have Zipped download :-2022 v1  Mapupdate.zip  with size 12.974.148

Clicked on that and shows :- FMU

Clicked on that and shows image.thumb.png.f4a12b93e651d47c2447df96ddb4a112.png

Where is this download from? I've just checked the car and the latest map update, 2022 v1 is only 166mb.

3 hours ago, Jon S Palmer said:

Martin.

Just checked computer downloads and have Zipped download :-2022 v1  Mapupdate.zip  with size 12.974.148

Clicked on that and shows :- FMU

Clicked on that and shows image.thumb.png.f4a12b93e651d47c2447df96ddb4a112.png

Your nearly there now Jon. Just drag that complete FMU folder that contains the 6 files to your USB stick. Make sure that nothing else is on your USB stick. Check that your USB stick is only showing the FMU folder and nothing else. Please show a screen shot of your USB drive when you have done this.

Given the problems that Jon has experienced I wouldn't have done this.

Rather, I would unzip the 2022 v1  Mapupdate.zip file.  Then there should be a new folder in <Downloads> called <2022 v1  Mapupdate>.  Double click this and there should be a single folder <FMU> in the right pane of Windows Explorer.

Put the newly formatted stick into the USB port and make sure that you can see the stick in the left pane of Explorer  -  ie expand "Computer"

Then drag the folder <FMU> onto the stick.  The folder will then be copied onto the stick  -  it might take a while depending on your system specs.  When this is done right click the stick drive in the left pane and choose "Eject" (don't just pull the stick out  -  you can corrupt files or 'fry' a stick that way).

Now take your stick, the activation code and a good book to the car.  Put the car in READY mode.  The stick goes in the USB port (near the passenger's knee), and after the system does some checks (may take a few minutes) just follow the on-screen instructions.  First it will ask for the activation code.  Then it will copy the files to the SatNav system, and will prompt you to remove the stick when it is complete.  Mine took 75 minutes, so you'll be glad you had the book.

Finally ignore the question above about the size of the download.  Yours looks exactly like mine did.

38 minutes ago, the brace said:

Finally ignore the question above about the size of the download.  Yours looks exactly like mine did.

I'll assume that's directed at me. I best remember not to ask any questions on here in future then.

25 minutes ago, the brace said:

Given the problems that Jon has experienced I wouldn't have done this.

Rather, I would unzip the 2022 v1  Mapupdate.zip file.  Then there should be a new folder in <Downloads> called <2022 v1  Mapupdate>.  Double click this and there should be a single folder <FMU> in the right pane of Windows Explorer.

Put the newly formatted stick into the USB port and make sure that you can see the stick in the left pane of Explorer  -  ie expand "Computer"

Then drag the folder <FMU> onto the stick.  The folder will then be copied onto the stick  -  it might take a while depending on your system specs.  When this is done right click the stick drive in the left pane and choose "Eject" (don't just pull the stick out  -  you can corrupt files or 'fry' a stick that way).

Now take your stick, the activation code and a good book to the car.  Put the car in READY mode.  The stick goes in the USB port (near the passenger's knee), and after the system does some checks (may take a few minutes) just follow the on-screen instructions.  First it will ask for the activation code.  Then it will copy the files to the SatNav system, and will prompt you to remove the stick when it is complete.  Mine took 75 minutes, so you'll be glad you had the book.

I see your concern Martin. That's why I want to see a screen shot of that USB drive once the FMU folder is dragged into it. Download size is correct at over 12gb. It should be just the USB drive letter in the top window pane with only the FMU folder in the main window. 

6 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

I'll assume that's directed at me. I best remember not to ask any questions on here in future then.

Yes it was directed at you, and I'm sorry if you're offended.  Reading the whole thread you can see that the poor bloke is obviously completely frazzled by the process of updating his SatNav and isn't confident with his computer skills, and so doesn't need to be sidetracked further.  By all means ask questions  -  that's what forums like this are for  -  but perhaps a new topic might have been a better idea.

2 minutes ago, bigblock said:

I see your concern Martin. That's why I want to see a screen shot of that USB drive once the FMU folder is dragged into it. Download size is correct at over 12gb. It should be just the USB drive letter in the top window pane with only the FMU folder in the main window. 

I think we are probably agreed, but I just thought it best to suggest a very basic step-by-step approach for the reasons set out above.

• Like 1