Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare wheel............

Lawnmowerman

Having just passed a Mini owner trying to reflate a flat tyre with the gunk and compressor a thought occurred to me.

Whilst I, like many, have sourced a space saver (well it saves some space over a full size wheel I suppose) it occurred to me are the wheel bolts for the alloys compatible with the steel wheel.

Any one confirm this?

Cheers

Good question, I am looking forward to those members who have installed @alan333@O.W.L. as they would know. Since the space saver is recommended by Toyota, I assume the bolts should fit.

1 minute ago, Spo2 said:

Good question, I am looking forward to those members who have installed @alan333@O.W.L. as they would know. Since the space saver is recommended by Toyota, I assume the bolts should fit.

You would hope wouldn't you - better to find out now rather than...................

My Yeti needed different bolts hence the question.

Not an unreasonable question but I would suggest that the answer is that the current bolts are fine. My 4.5 like my 4.4 both have standard space saver spare wheels but there is no mention of other bolts, just use those already on.

My Road Hero space saver (for my PHEV) came with it's own set of bolts. Was told by the vendor they were needed. Don't know about Toyota supplied space savers as not available for the PHEV.

My space saver is a genuine Toyota part, this is also an alloy wheel so I would think my bolts should be ok, unless anyone knows any different.

A766AB34-E730-4DCF-A600-7FF04A0B6DD2.png

2337674D-0E4E-4385-85CD-814EFDAA53E5.png

The nuts for my regular wheels have a conical base, and the face that the nuts sit against on the space saver is also conical, so without reading specifically about them… they're good to go.

I had to wait for a while until one came available on eBay, just checked and there are a few of the alloy space savers for sale at the moment if anyone is looking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115374388109?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CkMKTWyWRCy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=HPBSUxMMSYa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

For my non-Toyota Road Hero spacesaver, this is from the supplier's website:

Does Road Hero come with new nuts or bolts? If so, do I need to use these to fit it to my car?

Yes, Road Hero is supplied with new nuts or bolts, whichever is appropriate. These do need to be used with Road Hero. The original equipment bolts are not suitable.

I haven't checked to see if this is really the case

• Like 1

I have the Road Hero tyre and it DOES come with the new bolts that are required. The OEM bolts will not do the job.

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 9:28 PM, Rigsby said:

I had to wait for a while until one came available on eBay, just checked and there are a few of the alloy space savers for sale at the moment if anyone is looking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115374388109?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=CkMKTWyWRCy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=HPBSUxMMSYa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just checking, but that link is for a 17inch space saver. Am I right in saying that phev needs 18inch one for reasons of clearance around discs/calipers etc? Can any phev owner confirm/refute this? Thx

1 hour ago, Mike2222 said:

Just checking, but that link is for a 17inch space saver. Am I right in saying that phev needs 18inch one for reasons of clearance around discs/calipers etc? Can any phev owner confirm/refute this? Thx

I believe the 17” space saver will fit all HEV vehicles whether they have 17”, 18” or 19” wheels.

I think the PHEV needs an 18” wheel due to needing more clearance around the discs.

• Thanks 1

PHEV - mine are 18” space saver Road Hero.

• Thanks 1

Mine's an 18" Road Hero spare too, but "The Wheelshop" lists both a 17" and 18" spacesaver as applicable to the RAV4

2 hours ago, Hayzee said:

Mine's an 18" Road Hero spare too, but "The Wheelshop" lists both a 17" and 18" spacesaver as applicable to the RAV4

Here's the link

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product-category/space-saver-wheels/toyota-1/toyota-rav4-1/?filter_vehicle-year=2005-present-day

3 hours ago, Hayzee said:

The Road Hero wheel is alloy; the WheelShop offering is steel.

And while both 17" and 18" offerings fit / are within tolerance, it is probably worth using a comparison service such as https://tiresize.com/comparison/ when deciding which is a better match for the wheels and tyres on your particular vehicle ... 😉

• Like 1

The Road Hero is a nice kit with all you need to change the tyre including emergency, triangle, gloves etc. all of which seem to be well made, it's more expensive than the wheel shop. I posted pictures 20th Aug.

The MY2022 HEV comes with an 18" wheel which is steel, there are no extra wheel nuts so I presume the wheels use the ones for the alloys, I've not checked this.

3 hours ago, ernieb said:

The Road Hero is a nice kit with all you need to change the tyre including emergency, triangle, gloves etc. all of which seem to be well made, it's more expensive than the wheel shop. I posted pictures 20th Aug.

One more thing to consider is that the Road Hero weighs 18Kg, whereas the equivalent 18" steel wheel (Wheelshop) will weigh quite a bit more.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 5:38 PM, Spo2 said:

I would imagine that the steel wheel has a conical shape for the nut to seat in.

The Toyota alloys (including the genuine alloy space saver) have a flat machined mating surface and the nuts have a loose flat washer attached to prevent damage when tightening.

The nut also has a conical seat, that passes through the hole in the alloy, this may well seat correctly on a steel wheel, worth checking if you have a steel wheel before you’re stuck at the side of the road.

C85F83BC-3768-4C99-BFC0-E589B569C436.jpeg

• Like 1

On 5/9/2022 at 7:06 AM, ernieb said:

I have the Road Hero tyre and it DOES come with the new bolts that are required. The OEM bolts will not do the job.

Hi Ernie, I've decided to go for this space saver to give me some peace of mind when travelling.

Are you happy with it ? Did you purchase the retainer to hold it in place in the boot ?

Iain, I was not able to source and purchased the moulded spare fitting, the dealer just said not available for purchase. I bought the retaining screw from eBay and fabricated from high density foam blocks support for levelling up the spare so the retaining screw would be secure and the wheel not move about. I’ve checked it out a few times and nothing seems to have moved. I also used some spare foam tiles I had in the garage to reduce foot stress as liners for the steel exposed in the boot so when I added a few extras I carry, emergency lights etc, they don’t rattle so much.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ernie, so the original hard cover in the boot doesn't fit back in on top of the wheel ?

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks Ernie, so the original hard cover in the boot doesn't fit back in on top of the wheel ?

I didn’t have a hard cover in my PHEV, just an open boot space, so maybe there is a difference between the models?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

I didn’t have a hard cover in my PHEV, just an open boot space, so maybe there is a difference between the models?

I suspect that you may be at cross purposes. I suspect that Iain is referring to the boot floor? And a space saver spare will certainly fit beneath the original floor in place of the moulded polystyrene that holds the pump and gunk !

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links