Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Spare wheel............

Lawnmowerman

Thanks Philip, any tips re installing the spacesaver ? 

56 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Not from me ... I haven't got one! 🙂

I just know from the various posts on the subject that a space saver fits comfortably ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

I 'finessed' (took large chunks out!) of the moulded polystyrene with my cordless Makita multi-tool (others are available) 😀.

Th floor is not quite flush but almost - after a couple of hours 'finessing' I deemed it acceptable!

Edited by Lawnmowerman
Grammar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Just remove the existing foam that holds the TRK, put spare wheel in recess, secure with retaining bolt, replace boot floor.

I was fortunate enough to get the genuine Toyota jack, tools and foam insert plus the polystyrene “cushion” but some foam pads have the same effect so all fits nice and neat, I still carry the TRK as well.

FD595638-305D-4DFB-9245-E75D6396A035.jpeg

DA9D7239-9E12-4CF8-B768-57E7BB126115.jpeg

79DF0821-FBB1-42D3-8478-546CF0A05213.jpeg

DC439DBE-C7F5-4114-8796-6BA77720755D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan, I'll need to sort something out re the foam padding, etc

Also probably will need to source a retaining bolt.

What size is your spacesaver ?

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks Alan, I'll need to sort something out re the foam padding, etc

Also probably will need to source a retaining bolt.

What size is your spacesaver ?

Mine is a genuine Toyota RAV4 alloy space saver 17” dia fitted with a T165/80 D17 104M, this will fit all HEV Rav’s with 17”, 18” or 19” wheels.

The PHEV RAV4 needs an 18” space saver due to larger discs etc.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

They are a good bit of kit, I was about to buy one myself until I saw the genuine Toyota one come up (unused) complete with all the tools / inserts etc for £150 . 
I hope I never need to use it, but it’s there if I do. A can of goo is no good if you have a shredded tyre.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Iain....just one more thing....if you lay the Road Hero in it's boot space with the outside of the wheel facing up (as I did) you will need a longer securing bolt. This is the one I bought https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323856777744

That is just a bit too long but I made a washer from 1/2" plywood to fit under it and it's perfect.

The shorter bolt https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/product/toyota-rav4-2005-2019-space-saver-spare-wheel-retaining-fixing-bolt-screw/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw is only long enough if you have the spare wheel with its outside facing down.

Hope that makes sense

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hayzee said:

long enough if you have the spare wheel with its outside facing down

Which is as Toyota intend ... 😉

With the OEM kit (in a 4.4) the wheel goes outside down and the ancillary components sit in the resulting well.

Equally obviously, the Road Hero wheel comes in it's own bag which precludes the use of the retaining bolt. (You can obviously take it out of the bag!). And in that case it will just sit in the well and you would need just a little 'packing' to prevent it from sliding around. You really don't need the retaining bolt until you actually roll the car - and then you have rather a lot of other problems ... 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's ok to have the Road Hero facing down (without the bag) but that means you need to buffer the alloy wheel from touching the floor of the boot to avoid noise/vibration, rather than having the rubber tyre against the floor.  I also think that the original Toyota alloy is not as concave as the Road Hero and may not present the same issue.

Agree about retaining bolt only necessary in extreme situations but the the fact is, there is always provision for one.

• Thanks 1

Colin, I suppose a piece of felt or rubber underlay could be placed under the wheel to allow it to be put in face down.

I'll need to think what way would be preferable for my use 👍 thanks for your info.

I used a piece of material cut from a flooring tile used in the garage to relieve foot stress. Seems to be OK after many months of use. I put mine outside facing down which gave me the space to fill with bits and bobs.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links