Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq driving adventure

Barbel lad

This is my first Toyota iq and I’m very pleased with it. This summer me and the mrs are thinking of going on a little driving adventure visiting interesting places all around the uk as any one ever taken there iq on long journeys I know these little car have great reliability records but just wanted to ask the experts who have actually done some real miles in there cars. Any info would be great.  Thanks guys 👍

• 2 months later...

I've done multiple 2k miles journeys over the last couple of years in our 2009 1L manual iQ.

I previously had a BMW 760Li and used that for roadtrips - it was the ultimate long distance cruiser with infinite refinement and waftability power. But I sold and and now road trips are in the other half's iQ! The two cars are the two most 'opposite' cars on the road today!

The iQ road trips are nevertheless great. We live in the south east and the trips have been up to and around all parts of Scotland, staying in a house I have in Wick. We usually stop for a night at my parents in Glasgow.

Some observations and thoughts:

- The 'slog' from south of London to Glasgow is a bit hard work, especially as ours is manual so no cruise control. Timing this part to get quieter roads is worth doing, more than with normal cars, as this reduces how often you have to slow a bit and get the speed back, just continue at a constant pace. I usual run at an indicated 70-75mph, however I once did it at indicated 60mph and it was the most relaxing long motorway journey I've ever done, averaged about 70mpg, but was 1hr longer.

- We split the 'slog' with a stop at RHS Bridgewater near Manchester, which happens to be exactly half way between my and my parent's house. It is a bit of hard work on the M6 in a small manual, so a longer stop to walk around for a hour really helps. Usually have a short pit stop after that at Tebay services.

- We have the optional sat nav built in, which is really good, and the stereo is amazing, with us often blutooth streaming stuff from our phones to listen to (mostly podcasts of funny wee stories of scotland).

- North of Glasgow it is no issue being small or underpowered. Even on the A9 it's ok, especially since the averaging cameras appeared.

- Have a mobile phone with a speed app (shown in google maps when navigating) so you know your real GPS speed. In roadworks it's very useful as I go the limit plus 10% plus 2, which is way higher than you think from the overly-conservative speedo.

- Being small is awesome for parking in busy tourist locations with crammed car parks. We have endless 'smug' stories on this!

- We are two adults, so have the back seats down all the time and our luggage fits easily. Usually put one of those cheap folding plastic crates at the gap between the front seats so we can easily reach stuff in it, and have a place to put things we buy (gin, whisky,etc) and it's nor rolling around. The space between the front seats we drop in a 'car bag' with useful things (tissues, drinks, snacks, etc) - one of the Westford Mill Jute bags fits perfectly in this space and provides a surprising amount of space that you can lift in and out in a one-er.

- I pack long journey items down with the jack in the rear - type pump, spare bulbs, gloves, etc.

- Have you found the 'secret' storage below the rear seat bench? Most owners don't know it's there. Not easy to get to, but useful extra area for a long trip for less often needed items.

- The dash in the front is great for road trips being large and flat - we've had many a picnic and flask made tea sitting up on there when parked somewhere with a great view.

- Each of our trips I have averaged over 60mpg. I get around 10% better mileage with 99 octane versus the usual 95, so the extra cost is almost worth it.

- For the motorway section it is definitely worth having 99 octane petrol. It makes a noticeable difference and allows gentle acceleration in 5th even on a slight incline. 95 octane you'll be dropping to 3rd all the time (which at least a VVT allows).

Our last trip, in early June, was up to Glasgow, then to Mallaig, ferry to Uist, up to the top, ferry to Lewis and Harris, up to the top (Butt of Lewis), ferry over to Ullapool, drive to Wick via Altnahara, Tongue and John O Groats, around Caithness countryside for a few days (lots of coastal roads and tracks down to wee harbours spotting Orcas... places by BMW would not have fitted!). Then back down via Inverness, over to Elgin, Aberlour, back to Glasgow, then the South East home.

• Like 2