Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


ICE always on


Recommended Posts

Hi! I think I have a big problem: the ICE doesn't turn off, never! I have a 2017 Yaris, the EV indicator on panel is always off even if I have it on, the ICE doesn't turn off after the classic few minutes. 23º C outside, the SOC goes to full Battery and the ICE still goes on...eco mode or not eco mode, when I push the EV mode I have a display message: 'EV not available at the moment' 

the little vent on the rear is at max power I think, cleaned the vent and the filter...what can I check? 

The engine temperature starts to 0 to the half of the temperature indicator bar and the ICE still goes...and the SOC goes to full charge with full green indicators (and ICE still goes)

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Hi, 

you will need to run a diagnostic first to see if there are any faults recorded. Then you can use app and suitable obd 2 adapter to check hybrid system if all ok . Carista is a good obd 2 adapter and apps that you can use are Hybrid Assistant, Dr. Prius, to check the condition of your hybrid Battery and system. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

you will need to run a diagnostic first to see if there are any faults recorded. Then you can use app and suitable obd 2 adapter to check hybrid system if all ok . Carista is a good obd 2 adapter and apps that you can use are Hybrid Assistant, Dr. Prius, to check the condition of your hybrid battery and system. 

I have an iPhone and some apps are totally different or not existing 

 

carista seems ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Vins213 said:

I have an iPhone and some apps are totally different or not existing 

 

carista seems ok

Yeah, these above are on android. Carista will do it for an iPhone. Your problem seems to me like something to do with higher temperature of the Battery or inverter issues. When you start the car engine is running and meanwhile is charging the Battery. When engine reaches normal temperature should turn off but it doesn’t for some reason then overcharges the Battery. When hybrid battery is full charged the engine is running again to discharge the battery to more appropriate levels and so the whole system continuing to  charge and discharge the battery. Battery cooling filter , grill and air ducts to check again., and if all ok then you have to look at the inverter. What you can do also is to disconnect the 12v battery for few hours and then reconnect and try to see how it’s working afterwards. 
Good luck 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The 12v Battery may be low as you have had the doors open working on the car, take the car for a long drive or leave it in ready mode for an hour or so and let it charge, if you have the A/C on the engine will kick in

if in doubt, disconnect the 12v Battery for 15 mins or so and let things reset

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

The 12v battery may be low as you have had the doors open working on the car, take the car for a long drive or leave it in ready mode for an hour or so and let it charge, if you have the A/C on the engine will kick in

if in doubt, disconnect the 12v battery for 15 mins or so and let things reset

lol, you know more than me about my car, that's fun 😆 

I was for 30mins out for shopping and now the problems seems vanished 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Problem solved (I hope), the car needed a reset...hope it doesn't appear anymore 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...turning on the car appears 'PCS not available' and I cannot start the car...12v Battery dead or near to death I presume 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think so, you may be able to charge it - as it's an AGM Battery it needs to be charged low and slow <4 amps

it may be that window closure module draining it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

i think so, you may be able to charge it - as it's an AGM battery it needs to be charged low and slow <4 amps

it may be that window closure module draining it

Yes, changed a few minutes ago...that module is a killer feature LOL

 

Do I have to disconnect the mod or fix it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ahhh sh*t, here we go again....28°C outside, EV mode not available in any situations, ICE always on, the little underseats fan is going fast and the car is always with ICE on, from 2 Battery stack on a hill, the car doesn't charge any stack even if I was between power and eco...I have disconnected the windows mod, I have changed the 12v Battery and the problem pop up again, after 1 hour with the car closed and parked under an angry summer sun...the Battery filter is cleaned, also the fan...what can I do? 😞 no A/C powered on, never used N or B

Link to comment
Share on other sites

also this, when I release the accelerator, the engine rev up a little bit and then slow down, even if I'm going 30kmph on the first half of eco, with 5-6 SOC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have an obd adapter like Carista and android phone you can download app that allows you to check Battery temperature, modules , voltage , cooling fan speeds etc, all these may help you out. Android apps : Hybrid Assistant, Dr. Prius . iOS app Carista works great 👍

When is hot outside temperatures 20C° and more you have to use AC to keep your cabin cool and the cooler air will also cool down the hybrid Battery

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

If you have an obd adapter like Carista and android phone you can download app that allows you to check battery temperature, modules , voltage , cooling fan speeds etc, all these may help you out. Android apps : Hybrid Assistant, Dr. Prius . iOS app Carista works great 👍

When is hot outside temperatures 20C° and more you have to use AC to keep your cabin cool and the cooler air will also cool down the hybrid battery. 

I have iOS

 

so with the A/C the problem will shut off? I'm a fan of natural cooling 😂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vins213 said:

I have iOS

 

so with the A/C the problem will shut off? I'm a fan of natural cooling 😂 

I can not say 100% it will cure your problem but this is how you cool down hybrid Battery and it’s noted in the owners manual. I also don’t like ac and only use when 20+C° When too hot outside or after a long downhill my engine also is running, this is happening to discharge the Battery when is full . iOS also has apps to help you check you hybrid system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, TonyHSD said:

I can not say 100% is will cure your problem but this is how you cool down hybrid battery and it’s noted in the owners manual. I also don’t like ac and only use when 20+C° Whn too hot outside or after a long downhill my engine also is running, this is happening tp discharge the battery when is full . 

I think you are right, because the car was a little white oven with windows down...tomorrow we can touch 33ºC, hope to solve the problem with the A/C because is really annoying 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Vins213 said:

so with the A/C the problem will shut off? I'm a fan of natural cooling 😂 

Batteries are very sensitive to high and low temperatures so most BEVs use the cooling (and in some markets heating) system to keep the Battery in acceptable limits. Natural cooling is often not sufficient.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok, maybe a stable OBD...which one between 1 and 2?

1: OBD2 BT 3.0 or 4.0 or wifi MS-CAN

2: OBD2 BT 4.0 MS-CAN SW-CAN

 

What's the difference between MS and SW can? Wifi is better than Bluetooth 

 

 

EDIT: ok, the MS-CAN is for Ford network, SW for GM...so I have to choose the SW-CAN, am I right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

tbh cooling is a non issue, most of the heat is in the inverter on a hybrid that is liquid cooled anyway

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

tbh cooling is a non issue, most of the heat is in the inverter on a hybrid that is liquid cooled anyway

so what can I do? Today the car is ok, like nothing happened...I wanna buy an OBD like the 2 linked a few minutes ago, with an old android smartphone 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Vins213 said:

Ok, maybe a stable OBD...which one between 1 and 2?

1: OBD2 BT 3.0 or 4.0 or wifi MS-CAN

2: OBD2 BT 4.0 MS-CAN SW-CAN

 

What's the difference between MS and SW can? Wifi is better than Bluetooth 

 

 

EDIT: ok, the MS-CAN is for Ford network, SW for GM...so I have to choose the SW-CAN, am I right?

I use this one and it’s very good. https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00YVHGTBM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_FJB6775CZDCSP0SKCTJD
Don’t know anything about these that you have shared. Perhaps the the more expensive one will be better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I use this one and it’s very good. https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00YVHGTBM?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_FJB6775CZDCSP0SKCTJD
Don’t know anything about these that you have shared. Perhaps the the more expensive one will be better. 

Carista has a monthly subscription, I've already used the free month...I'll go with the number 2 even if it is bluetooth 4.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership