Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My PHEV and other animals

Nick72

No, this is not a dog post. Don't have one. Nor is it natural history from a Greek island. More like observations from upon a PHEV.

So, I've done a few 400 plus mile round trips in the last week. Here is what I've observed about other motorists versus the PHEV...

Tesla drivers are the most sedate motorists hyper miling at 60mph in a desperate attempt to get where they need to be without having to stop off and recharge for 40 minutes somewhere. You can see the sweat beads on their heads. My neighbor just got rid of his model 3. Constant trouble and long repair times. Swapped it for a Polestar 2.

Merc and BMW SUV drivers seem to have a chip on their shoulders and seem to want to show me who is boss. But as most aren't driving an AMG or M sport version I'm forced to leave them as a tiny particle in the rear view mirror. Actually, they have more chips on their shoulders than there are chips in a McCain chip factory.

Fiesta, Focus, and Corsa drivers seem to have been unable to afford anything with power and seem to want to race. No point even if I were 21 again.

Hyundai and Kia PHEV owners seem to look on with envy. Did I buy the wrong car? Yes you can see it in their faces.

Audi drivers seem to fall into the same category as White Van Man. Completely erratic and don't give a ****.

As for my car. Comfortable long drives now I got my knee pad stuck on. Adaptive cruise is excellent. LTA is terrible. Too much near side bias. Not good when big lorries take up their lane to the max and occasionally stick over a bit. Why Toyota didn't centre the car in the lane I don't know. Still, I used it for about an hour of each leg whenever the roads were quiet. Still don't like the media controls layout on the steering wheel but getting used to it. Usual rocketship acceleration has been handy as has the large boot for 'stuff' I've needed to take. One thing that does bother me is above 55mph there's a lot of wind noise. Seems to come from everywhere. Turned the stereo up to fix it.

Managed to get about 54 miles from a charge by just using EV in the urban legs and in the 40 or 50mph zones in the M6 M1 road works car park. 

55 quid of fuel gets me over 400 miles I think.

Edited by Nick72
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Nick72 said:

Fiesta, Focus, and Corsa drivers seem to have been unable to afford anything with power and seem to want to race. No point even if I were 21 again.

As for my car. Comfortable long drives now I got my knee pad stuck on. Adaptive cruise is excellent. LTA is terrible. Too much near side bias. Not good when big lorries take up their lane to the max and occasionally stick over a bit. Why Toyota didn't centre the car in the lane I don't know. Still, I used it for about an hour of each leg whenever the roads were quiet.

On the motorway it's often the racing Fiesta and Corsa drivers that are right up your as* when your in the outside lane overtaking.... really pis*es me off

This is my first Toyota and I really love it, only had it less than 3 months and my affection is growing daily. 90% of my driving is EV and yes I'm now seeing a range in the low 50's.

Never use LTA. I had a Volvo with Pilot Assist which also favoured keeping the car too close to the left and so didn't use it much as it was uncomfortable as you described.

All in all the PHEV has exceeded my expectations.

• Like 2

Don't worry guys, leave the Fiesta, Focus, and Corsa drivers to us Mk4 owners :naughty: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Nick72 said:

As for my car. Comfortable long drives now I got my knee pad stuck on. Adaptive cruise is excellent. LTA is terrible.

I need one of those pads on my Yaris IV, anything over 30 minutes is irritating, luckily there's ACC and LTA. In the IV you can't permanently disable the LTA, has to be done on every power up. Can't be UBIKed. I have come to like it.

I haven't noticed any bias to one side or the other.

• Like 2

Yeah I use the ACC too much to be able to disable the LTA completely. I've just gotten used to it - It helps keep me focussed as it randomly tries to kill me! :laugh: 

• Like 1

I must be lucky, on my 2nd RAV4 and both LTA dead centre, did about 100 miles on it today.

• Like 1

Very interesting and funny read . 👌😀 

Thanks 

• Like 1

I had the only recent fast(ish) Focus that wasnt an ST.

1.5 182bhp stline x.

It was a nice car but not as well built or reliable as the Rav in any way. 

Better infotainment system in the Focus though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hayzee said:

On the motorway it's often the racing Fiesta and Corsa drivers that are right up your as* when your in the outside lane overtaking.... really pis*es me off

This is my first Toyota and I really love it, only had it less than 3 months and my affection is growing daily. 90% of my driving is EV and yes I'm now seeing a range in the low 50's.

Never use LTA. I had a Volvo with Pilot Assist which also favoured keeping the car too close to the left and so didn't use it much as it was uncomfortable as you described.

All in all the PHEV has exceeded my expectations.

Ha yes this is true. Probably 20 year olds.

15 hours ago, Stopeter44 said:

I need one of those pads on my Yaris IV, anything over 30 minutes is irritating, luckily there's ACC and LTA. In the IV you can't permanently disable the LTA, has to be done on every power up. Can't be UBIKed. I have come to like it.

I haven't noticed any bias to one side or the other.

Oh defaulting to LTA would drive me nuts. Interesting there's no near side bias. Means Toyota can fix it on the RAV.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah I use the ACC too much to be able to disable the LTA completely. I've just gotten used to it - It helps keep me focussed as it randomly tries to kill me! :laugh: 

Yeh at times I'm now more alert than without LTA. Lol.

• Haha 2