Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MyT App... issues?

Legge

1 hour ago, Geoff W said:

The car has its own SIM as part of the emergency call system. I've deliberately left my phone at home and trip details are still logged. It also means you can see where the car has gone if you and your phone are elsewhere! 

That's most interesting, Geoff. According to the Corolla manual - the 668-page PDF you can download from the Toyota website - the SIM card in the car is part of the eCall emergency system. The manual goes into considerable detail between pages 69-85 explaining how this telematics system works including quite a bit of technical detail, diagrams and a flow chart showing how data is processed related to emergency calls. This content only talks about the emergency call system and makes no reference to the MyT app and data points and hybrid scoring. I did check this earlier when I first tried to figure out the issue discussed in this thread.

So it seems clear that the MyT app doesn't use the eCall system - if it did, surely it would be referenced somewhere in the manual. But maybe it does - your experience in getting trip details even when you've not had a phone with you in your car suggests so! One other alternative perhaps is that the MyT app has access to the location data the eCall system sends to a Toyota server, and that data is used to create the hybrid scoring, which you then see in your MyT app when you next use it Just thinking out loud with this.

Maybe the developer should know - I've emailed them to ask.

18 hours ago, Luke717 said:

The phone is a requirement for the car to talk to Toyota as the phone connects to a network that enables the car (the MyT app) to talk to Toyota, as @AndrueC notes. And the network connection needs to be robust and reliable to provide the data Toyota needs, as the developer pointed out in the email I referenced.

I'm going to contradict you there. The car does not need a phone connection to pass tracking details to Toyota. Leave your phone at home and see.

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

I'm going to contradict you there. The car does not need a phone connection to pass tracking details to Toyota. Leave your phone at home and see.

For what it's worth that was what I wasn't suggesting. I'm suggesting that the car has its own built in way of connecting to telephone networks. The thing to realise is that they aren't 'telephone networks'. They are digital radio communication networks. And any device can use them to exchange data if it has a receiver and authorisation.

Telephony just happens to be the primary use of such networks. Ultimately it's all just packets of digital data. Some of the packets represent samples of audio data (for voice calls) others are WWW data for browsers. Some of them contain data for our vehicles. It's all just a collection of 1s and 0s. If you have a bunch of 1s and 0s you want to transmit or receive then all you need is the network provider's permission and off you go.

3 hours ago, Luke717 said:

That's most interesting, Geoff. According to the Corolla manual - the 668-page PDF you can download from the Toyota website - the SIM card in the car is part of the eCall emergency system. The manual goes into considerable detail between pages 69-85 explaining how this telematics system works including quite a bit of technical detail, diagrams and a flow chart showing how data is processed related to emergency calls. This content only talks about the emergency call system and makes no reference to the MyT app and data points and hybrid scoring. I did check this earlier when I first tried to figure out the issue discussed in this thread.

So it seems clear that the MyT app doesn't use the eCall system - if it did, surely it would be referenced somewhere in the manual. But maybe it does - your experience in getting trip details even when you've not had a phone with you in your car suggests so! One other alternative perhaps is that the MyT app has access to the location data the eCall system sends to a Toyota server, and that data is used to create the hybrid scoring, which you then see in your MyT app when you next use it Just thinking out loud with this.

Maybe the developer should know - I've emailed them to ask.

I don’ t think you should draw any conclusions from the eCall documentation not mentioning the MyT app. The last time I looked at the big manual it didn’t mention tracking or the MyT app anywhere else either!

5 hours ago, Geoff W said:

The car has its own SIM as part of the emergency call system. I've deliberately left my phone at home and trip details are still logged. It also means you can see where the car has gone if you and your phone are elsewhere! 

This is the right answer. Like I wrote earlier, MyT tracking has nothing to do with your phone. The app is just downloading the data that the car has sent to the Toyota servers. The inbuilt eCall system has a GPS and data connection that are used for this.

Thanks for the additional info @Legge, @Geoff W, @AndrueC, @RabButler

So to be clear, the data that the My T app makes use of to produce the metrics for hybrid performance comes via the eCall system that uploads that data to a Toyota server via the eCall cellular connection. It's nothing to do with connectivity from your phone which is not used by Toyota for this purpose.

Okay, have I got it right?

One additional note - it would be great if someone can cite the source of information that explains all of the above. It must be documented somewhere.

As I was writing the above note, an email came in from the My T app developers in answer to my question I asked them on how the data gets from a car to Toyota.

It is through the Ecall system and not the internet connection provided by your phone.

From the horse's mouth. I live and learn... ☺️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is good discussion to be documented on the forum. Not even my dealer knew that MyT services are available also for cars without a navigation system/external data connection. I got the info from the local Toyota customer service team.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Is anyone else having issues with the MyT App?

Mine is not logging journeys - usually it is intermittent but i do have a good signal - even Google Maps is picking me up so nothing wrong with signal.

I recently went to Cornwall from North Wales and it registered me going all the way to Exeter, but then just stopped (even though i did not stop in Exeter).  Then it logged me doing a 1 mile trip to get fuel... but then did not log me going back again.

Recently went to Carlisle and it logged my journey there, but then logged me as stuck at the M6 J42... and when i got home it claimed my car was still there.

It really is a useless app if it does not work as required and intended.  I have it on both my work and private phones... and they both do the same thing: once you try to log in it shows 5% and hangs... then goes to 65% and then hangs... and then claims can't log in due to error.

I have removed the app and re-loaded, etc. but still happening...

Also the app does claim spurious info like telling me i'm bad braking when actually doing 50mph and even claiming bad braking and good braking at the same point on map/location.  It is very unreliable.

I have contacted them via the app contact and they claim just no signal.  It isn't due to lack of signal as very good signal.  And bad signal on two phones?  Don't think so as other map apps (I have Google Maps, OS Maps and another app that requires location) work with no issues whatsoever.

Yeah it’s carp. . . . Since October last year it thinks I spend at least 23hrs a day (sometimes 40+hrs) of driving within a 24hrs period. . . Go figure. 

Thankfully it’s only time logging mine doesn’t work properly with. Mileage & fuel economy are alright. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been using the MyT app since we got our new car in March 2022 but now it's stopped recording all trips and I no longer get Hybrid Coaching scores. I've not changed anything in the car or on the app. I've just found that I can log in online to view my scores but that is also showing that I haven't made any trips for the last 8 days which is wrong. Does anyone have any tips/hints on what I can do to correct this ?

Mine's done exactly the same since 18th May.   Very frustrating.   No info recorded since then, so App is now useless.

• Sad 1

I think its a wider issue a lot of people seem to be affected. Im also not getting any trip info neither on the Myt app nor the toyota.co.uk online account.

Its also not showing correct location of the car.

I did contact Toyota and they said they are investigating its been more then a week now.

• Sad 1

I went to my daughters today, which is about 6 miles. Then we went out shopping and a few other places, in total did about 30 miles. Arrived home about 4.30pm. The app tells me i did one journey about lunch time and it also tells me it's parked at my daughters house. Of course it's not, i drove it home and it's parked outside! It's getting very frustrating that the more i drive, the less trips it records.

It has been much more reliable for me recently although it omitted all my trips last Sunday 

• 4 months later...

I also have had problems with the My T App in not registering data but now I think I have found the problem and hopefully it will also help others.

I had always signed into the app by using the 4 digit pin but then although logged in I kept getting error messages. 

I then logged in with my e-mail and changed my password before logging into MyT and found that I had all the information to hand on the app with previous trips, fuel remaining etc.  I still use the 4 digit Pin to log in but when I find the information is no longer there I log in using e-mail and password  and it does work so hopefully it may for you as well.

Regards

Nigel.

Nigel interesting, however I open the App and am rarely asked to log in. If I am, I use fingerprint rather than pin.  I have Pin deselected. 

Nigel interesting, however I open the App and am rarely asked to log in. If I am, I use fingerprint rather than pin.  I have Pin deselected. 

Hi Roy, that is interesting as the fault that other members have posted could possibly point to logging in with the PIN.  Be interesting to see comments from other users.

Regards

Nigel.

Logging in with email or Face ID still gives the same half hearted information. 

Even though I'm at work, the app is convinced my car is at home. So no trip this morning & only one of the three trips I did on Saturday showing.

• 1 month later...

It’s about as much use as a chocolate tea pot I tend to log into the website and check my driving analytics and journeys from there.

I have planed a journey and used send to car and that doesn’t work either just look at my T reviews!

On 11/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Rosgoe said:

It’s about as much use as a chocolate tea pot I tend to log into the website and check my driving analytics and journeys from there.

I have planed a journey and used send to car and that doesn’t work either just look at my T reviews!

Thing is this worked fine for the first 6 weeks... then went wrong.

Still not right and it's fast approaching a new year.

I've stopped using it, it's very temperamental and not very accurate. Still missing the send to nav feature. 

1 hour ago, Deano68 said:

I've stopped using it, it's very temperamental and not very accurate. Still missing the send to nav feature. 

Never got to grips with send to car but would like the chance to try. 

3 hours ago, Tech429 said:

Thing is this worked fine for the first 6 weeks... then went wrong.

Still not right and it's fast approaching a new year.

If you want to persist with it try deleting the app and re installing