Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MyT App... issues?

Legge

3 hours ago, fred88 said:

... Toyota location tracking, I would think, requires that Toyota's servers are capable of receiving hundreds of thousands (I'm guessing the figures folks!) of datastreams simultaneously.... 

I might be wrong though 🤔 

Not quite.  Your journey is measured with upto a given number of data points, I think it was 2 000, which equities to a journey of around 3 hrs 15 minutes.  That seems around one a minute.  The data points are not uploaded while the car is in motion (according to the App). 

43 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

I have issue with MyT its working at the moment but trips for the day are not shown until Tomorrow thats not ideal.

My best time was 7 minutes.  However I had 2 out of 3 trips shown yesterday and the other this evening.  Today, again 2 out of 3 so far. 

It might not be Fred's millions but it's still a lot. 

While I would like it with lots little delay I would place greater importance in completeness. 

22 minutes ago, newda898 said:

Yes, I got that too. Downloaded the new app and I need to manually re-enter my VIN to add the car. Will wait a few weeks before actually doing that as it said it will remove it from the old app when I do.

My App shows the Feb 23 one as up to date. 

2 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Not quite.  Your journey is measured with upto a given number of data points, I think it was 2 000, which equities to a journey of around 3 hrs 15 minutes.  That seems around one a minute.  The data points are not uploaded while the car is in motion (according to the App). 

A word of caution on that statement.

I have no experience of how Toyota record journeys, but i have looked at the data from a number of other makes. They do not necessarily record data points at consistent time or distance intervals.

From what I've seen the systems may only store what appear to be significant points - turns or stops etc. I imagine that this is done to conserve data storage capacity, as the system will (presumably) be calculating positions at a constant frequency.

I would be fascinated to hear from anyone who can say exactly how the Toyota system records journey data.

• Like 1

Don, no doubt true, though that 2,000 data points is fixed at the DCM and both mine and others report failures around 3hrs plus. I guess there is enough variation in a 3 hour journey for data dwell periods rather than a fixed clock.  I wasn't trying to suggest it waz a fixed interval, rather an equivalence. 

7 hours ago, fred88 said:

What's DCM?

Data Communication Module - it's the unit which sends & receives data from Toyota via the mobile phone network. It also deals with GPS data, linking to your phone etc. It's like the brains of the car's 'infotainment' system.

9 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Don, no doubt true, though that 2,000 data points is fixed at the DCM and both mine and others report failures around 3hrs plus. I guess there is enough variation in a 3 hour journey for data dwell periods rather than a fixed clock.  I wasn't trying to suggest it waz a fixed interval, rather an equivalence. 

Sorry Roy, I wasn't having a dig. The 3 hour observation is certainly interesting.

There's nothing unusual about Toyota not telling us exactly how this system works, none of the car manufacturers do. They may not even know themselves if the units are made by a third party (Kenwood, Pioneer etc.)

• Like 1

My suggestion (above somewhere) really was that folk seem to be blaming the MyT App when in fact the data isn't there. Is that plausible?

27 minutes ago, fred88 said:

My suggestion (above somewhere) really was that folk seem to be blaming the MyT App when in fact the data isn't there. Is that plausible?

I think it is.

My reasoning is that the system in the car may send a data packet/message to the server, then delete the local data without confirming that the data has been correctly received. This would be like where you send a text message which never arrives due to some issue with the phone network, your phone just shows that you sent the message.

I'm not a communications boffin, but I think that this would save a lot of processing & bandwidth by cutting out the "handshaking" which would be required to confirm that the data had been received correctly.

Had issues with mine since January. In the last few weeks current position has not moved, last position  dated 21 March. Fuel level is 0% and last trip is hit and miss. Service data is missing  repairs.  Got the latest base map update off e store, that will not update to car either. 

Spoke to dealer this morning to see if its in the recall campaign,  it is but told it has been suspended  indefinitely and that there is a lot of issues with the My T. Hope the recall when available might sort my issues. 

7 hours ago, fred88 said:

No, I agree with Don that the data is uploaded from the DCM and the DCM store is cleared.  That is why data recording stops after 2,000 data points. 

It is conceivable that there is no packet check, but I think unlikely.  Unlikely as a large number of missing trips have been restored as promised.  In other words the data is on the server.  Naturally that part of a journey beyond 2,000 data points is not recorded and lost for ever. 

My car is reported correctly at 6,100 but I am 370 miles adrift on the Analytics.  This morning's homebound trip ended at 1352 and is in MyT now at 1638.  The earlier outbound trip has yet to appear. 

22 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I have issue with MyT its working at the moment but trips for the day are not shown until Tomorrow thats not ideal.

Yes. I have noted that too. It's a bit hit and miss. I can, however, now lock the car remotely and flash the hazard lights. Yippee!

1 hour ago, RabButler said:

Yes. I have noted that too. It's a bit hit and miss. I can, however, now lock the car remotely and flash the hazard lights. Yippee!

And find it?

Usually I can remember where I park but returning g from a cruise and the car in a different car park the find my car worked perfectly.  It was at the bottom of the multi story so a solar charger would not have worked.

I've noticed that the run out to somewhere is shown in the app a hour or so later but the return journey is normally shown the next day.

I went out today at midday and that is showing when I got home ( journey took 40 mins eachway )and its 11pm now and the return journey is missing.. Considering from arriving at my destination I was there no longer than 20 minutes before making my way back home

John, it is not consistent.  My journey home was shown within 3 hours.  My outbound trip has yet to show. 

On 3/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, RabButler said:

Anyone else getting messages from Toyota that MyT has an update? Currently running the Feb 2023 version. Is there a newer one?

MyT has been working OK ish for me, albeit trips not shown often until next day.

But today I got a message (on Android) to download the new app - the old MyT is now called TOYOTA MyT.  It seems this is a new app download rather than an upgrade.  However I have downloaded, put in my id details, and then cant log in as it fails to send a verification PIN code to my phone (repeatedly).   

I shall try again in a few days (daze?) .....  What price progress?

I do like my car though.

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

John, it is not consistent.  My journey home was shown within 3 hours.  My outbound trip has yet to show. 

Today, short trips to the shops and back, both appeared in OuT on minutes.  Is it that I caught a quiet Server period?

Downloaded the new App, logged in OK, but it demanded a QR code.  Scanned QR in the car, failed.  Typed in QR code, failed.  I feel a trip to the dealer.

Has anyone noted if there are different features with the new App?

Now this is curious.  The new App was available from Play Store on my Kindle Fire but not on my smart phone.  If the images on the App are true for my Yaris Cross  regarding windows open or shut then the App that is new. 

My app is making up journeys! Some completely out of the way of where I have been. No reply from Toyota yet. Interesting looking at other replies on this. Bonkers! 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 8:31 PM, RabButler said:

Anyone else getting messages from Toyota that MyT has an update? Currently running the Feb 2023 version. Is there a newer one?

There is and will be a new app coming throughout 2023 at the moment however the App is only available to Aygo X, Yaris & Yaris Cross customers with the new Smart connect navigation system, other models will be added throughout 2023 trying to add other models will just result in a Vin not recognised error. 

On 3/17/2023 at 9:51 PM, newda898 said:

Yes, I got that too. Downloaded the new app and I need to manually re-enter my VIN to add the car. Will wait a few weeks before actually doing that as it said it will remove it from the old app when I do.

There is and will be a new app coming throughout 2023 at the moment however the App is only available to Aygo X, Yaris & Yaris Cross customers with the new Smart connect navigation system, other models will be added throughout 2023 trying to add other models will just result in a Vin not recognised error. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2023 at 10:14 PM, Roy124 said:

My App shows the Feb 23 one as up to date. 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links