Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis 2.2 engine type 2AD-FHV and type 2ADFTV are they interchangable?

Dacy

Hello all,

Would really appreciate if anybody out there has any knowledge on whether an Avensis 2011 model with a 2.2 engine type 2AD-FHV can be replaced with a type 2ADFTV ?

My original engine has the dreaded head gasket issue and I have found this possible replacement.

Best regards,

Dacy

Type 2ADFTV will probably fit to the bay and gearbox etc... But I´m almost certain that your car electrical harness and ECU won´t fit to 2ADFTV.

Have you considered replacing the head gasket to your original engine?

The amount of work is almost the same and by new gasket you know for sure that everything is fine...

I´ve been told that every 2AD (1AD as well) engine has head gasket problem, sooner or later.

• Like 1

Avetoy, thank very much for your advise it,s appreciated.

I,m not a mechanic so just wonder if I go down the road of changing the head gasket I presume the head would need to be skimmed ? I have been told that skimming the head is difficult on the 2.2 engine wonder does anybody out there have any experience ?

Forgive me if I don,t fully understand what,s involved in trying to replace a Type 2AD-FHV setup with a 2ADFTV and taking on board what Avetoy points out as a potential problem ie the electrical harness and ECU not fitting the replacement engine, would it work to change all of the car,s electrical components onto the replacement engine ? In other words just use the bare block and head the mechanical parts of the replacement ? I hope this does not sound silly because I don,t understand the basics, can anyone advise please

Keep it simple and repair the engine that’s in the car.

What do you mean by “the dreaded head gasket issue”?

Thanks Stivino

I agree and I want to find the simple solution.

My understanding is that it,s not simple to repair the engine that,s in the car. I have been told that if I replace the head gasket I will also need to have the head machined and this is possibly not on because of the type of head.

The "dreaded head gasket issue" I refer to the problem showing up on a number of the 2.2 diesel engines when 200,000 miles is covered.

I,m not a mechanic so looking out there to see if I can get some pointers as to how other people solved the problem

22 hours ago, Dacy said:

My understanding is that it,s not simple to repair the engine that,s in the car. I have been told that if I replace the head gasket I will also need to have the head machined and this is possibly not on because of the type of head.

You are right about that. Best way to do the job is to drop entire engine and transmission out of the car. Then the head is easier to remove, and of course to  install as well. And yes, the head needs machining. I can´t see why this engine head would be  any worse to machine than others...

I've not heard of any problem in skimming a straight 4 cylinder head.  The place with the answer to that question is the machine shop.  The will test the head for cracks before they do anything.