Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris mk4 engine noises.

Nixy

17 hours ago, Cyker said:

Miller with Beer

I'd hardly call Miller beer, and certainly not these days, but I did enjoy one or two with hotdogs at baseball games, way back in the day!

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Nixy said:

Hi. I think I am satisfied with all the information received as to the source and nature of the engine noises. Nevertheless it is an unpleasant experience. Especially when at the traffic lights noiseless and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. 

I drive mine in city traffic regularly and never once has the melodrama  of “all hell broken loose”.  I use Esso 99 which has reduced engine note considerably but even before finding that out I couldn’t get excited about the various noises.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I drive mine in city traffic regularly and never once has the melodrama  of “all hell broken loose”.  I use Esso 99 which has reduced engine note considerably but even before finding that out I couldn’t get excited about the various noises.  

Noise level perception is purely subjective

20 hours ago, baxuz said:

Was just reading that article a bit:

- Stratified combustion mode. Fuel is supplied at the end of the compression stroke, forming a charge of varying enrichment. This mode is used after a cold start, allowing to effectively ignite a lean (up to about 16:1) mixture, providing a higher combustion temperature to accelerate warm-up of the catalyst.

- Homogenous mixture mode. Fuel is supplied at the beginning of the intake stroke and is evenly mixed with the incoming air. Homogeneous air-fuel mixture is compressed and then ignited. Due to the evaporation of injected fuel, air charge in the cylinder is cooled improves cylinder filling.

Could this be the two modes of operation?

Also, yikes :X

2 minutes ago, Nixy said:

Noise level perception is purely subjective

True.  

I drive mostly without radio ON at all and enjoy the futuristic sound of regenerative braking and acceleration on Battery power alone 🎼👌. When driving on quiet streets I usually crack open slightly passenger window and when going over bumps I also enjoy the s-s s-s sound from the shocks in addition to the electric noise , hmmmm what a beautiful songs of the machine ⚙️🎵👌👍

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

Turn the radio up !!!

Can confirm this works :naughty: (*drives home windows down blaring out random VGM and metal*)

5 hours ago, anchorman said:

True.  

Eyyy Anchs!!! I haven't seen you on here in ages! Where the bloody hell have you been??? :clap:

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

Can confirm this works :naughty: (*drives home windows down blaring out random VGM and metal*)

Eyyy Anchs!!! I haven't seen you on here in ages! Where the !Removed! hell have you been??? :clap:

Haha, still been around.  Had a spell with Mazda then Lexus but dwelling in a new Yaris while I find something I like.  I like this Yaris more than I ever thought I would.  I still keep in contact with some of the gang.  How have you been?

Not too bad, still lurking about giving people bad advice :laugh: 

Do miss a lot of the old crew, esp em and the crazy ones like bizzara and raistlin :laugh:  (The Word Association thread still lives on in their absence :laugh: ), but there are still a few around!

You made a good choice the the Mk4, it's a brilliant car - The first Yaris I've found engaging to drive since the Mk1 D4D I had! The way I can hoon about and still get 70-80mpg is some kind of japanese witchcraft I tell you! :laugh: 

Had a few reservations originally as I'm not a big fan of automatics, but the response of the car is so instant it's like driving a manual in a way - None of that lag where the computer decides how to engage the gears or clutch or whatever I've had with other autoboxes.

And the handling is awesome, it's so fun to drive!

Ooop I bet Frosty is giving me a thread hijacking glare so I better stop there :laugh: 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 8:21 PM, Nixy said:

Also I think the acceleration is down noticeably from when new.

I think you are getting used to the car, is all.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Not too bad, still lurking about giving people bad advice :laugh: 

I dont want to put you out of a job 😜

• Haha 1

OK folks. Enough on this topic. Over and out. 

Just enjoy the car - I can honestly say no previous Yaris has had such good handling and punchy acceleration. This thing is a hoot on open sweeping country roads!

I'd say it gives a taste of how much fun the GR Yaris is, but with less chance of death :laugh: 

Been rolling around today with the windows down enjoying a sunny drive and it's been great :biggrin: 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 1:16 PM, Nixy said:

Hi. I think I am satisfied with all the information received as to the source and nature of the engine noises. Nevertheless it is an unpleasant experience. Especially when at the traffic lights noiseless and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose. 

Mine does the same, but only in fist start, when engine is still cold and the Battery is low (3 bars)

• Like 3

On 5/11/2022 at 2:14 PM, Nixy said:

Hi. Why is it that I get two different noises, milder and harsher, when the battery is recharged? The louder noise is quit a bit annoying when it cuts in, suddenly. Thanks. 

I get something similar in my Corolla.  When the Battery starts to charge I can see the rec counter pick up by about 500rpm.  In the Yaris the increase in revs could be greater and would be more noticeable as the 3 cylinder engine can sound diesel like and is more prone to vibration.

• Like 1

When my Mk4 is just charging and not driving the wheels, it runs at about 1100-1500rpm and is obnoxious AF (I swear it has worse NVH and refinement than my old Mk1 diesel!).

However, as soon as it's driving the wheels it somehow gets much much smoother and tends to run around 2000rpm, driving the wheels and sending excess power to the Battery.

• Like 1

All this behaviour is typical for all Toyota hybrids since gen 2 Prius. We are writing on two separate topics for the same issue. In early post another member complained about noises and shared a video that I can not hear anything abnormal, just exactly the same noise as any other Toyota hybrid, not even a different because it’s a 3 cylinder. I haven’t driven a Yaris mk4 but around me there are few neighbours that have it and every time they go up the hill I know it’s one of them because of the typical 3 pot engine sound mixed with the Prius electric whine. But nothing too excessive to make a note. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

Just picked up wife's new Yaris hybrid and it makes a funny grinding noise just after starting the engine. The transmission is in park. The sound lasts for approx 2 secs then goes.

Any ideas?

All best

You'll have to get used to that sort of thing, the Mk4 makes all sorts of weird whirring and wooing and clunking and other such noises!

Things likely it could be:

• Water pump
  • Steering lock motor unlocking
  • Vacuum pump... vacuuming?
  • Electronic Parking brake un....braking??

All these weird noises are perfectly normal tho'. I think a lot of them would happen in a normal car too but would be masked by the engine!

• Like 4

Am still getting used to mine on first start up, feels like a Tractor but as Cyker said just the MK 4 doing it's thing or things.

• Like 4

As mentioned hybrids has a list of strange noises that may not be normal in other cars. If anything wrong there will be a warning messages on the dashboard. There are very few occasions that something could be faulty and cause noises but mostly on old cars, your it’s new so should be just a normal hybrid experience, if anything too annoying or disturbing you can perhaps record and share so we can give you more precise answers what eventually can be. Until then just enjoy your new car 🚙 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Eddie G said:

Am still getting used to mine on first start up, feels like a Tractor but as Cyker said just the MK 4 doing it's thing or things.

Yeah, I keep joking to my colleague it's the perfect transition car for diesel refugees as it sounds like one at lower RPM :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Mk 4 Yaris Design engine noises were beginning to concern me. Thanks for explaining the engine eccentricities, you have saved me a trip to the Toyota dealer. 

• Like 2