Do Not Sell My Personal Information

My 2019 Corolla got stolen today

King Crimson

So woke up today and as i was about to have my breakfast on my balcony i noticed that my car had disappeared. After the initial shock i immediately went to check again in case i had maybe forgotten where i parked, i opened my myT app to check the location of the car and on the maps my car was showing right where i was but it wasn't there. Thankfully i have complete coverage for the first 3 years with alianz so if the car is not found in the next 3 months i get the exact amount that i paid for my car.

Now i thought that that start/stop button system was quite safe, no? I don't have keyless entry but the regural button press to open the car, I also have the basic alarm system from toyota which i guess isn't that great, does anyone know how they were able to break in so easily? Maybe a device that communicates with the car making it think it's the original key? And why doesn't MYT show the location of the car? Does it still think it's parked?

Anyways if the car is not found i'm propably going for a c-hr 😛

It got lifted, have you missed a payment or not paid tax on the car - speak to Toyota they should be able to ping the car if it hasn't been disabled

was you drinking the night before ?

• Haha 1

There is a thing called relay theft which is basically if you leave the keys near the front of the house, one miscreant with an antenna panel will wave it around the front of your house while his mate holds the relay next to the car, and if your keys are close enough for the antenna to pick it up it will make the car think the keys are next to the car and allow it to be unlocked and driven away.

This is currently the most common way newer cars get nicked, and it's still surprising more hasn't been done to combat it.

This is partly why I didn't want a Mk4 with keyless entry and start, but didn't really have a choice as I wanted a HUD more than I didn't want that...

(Still, dodged a bullet there since I didn't know the non-smart entry cars only get a single poxy remote key!!!)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cyker said:

This is currently the most common way newer cars get nicked, and it's still surprising more hasn't been done to combat it.

A lot of manufacturers now fit motion detection anti relay theft keyless fobs.

Apprantly in Toyota world C-HR from 21 MY & Corolla from 22 MY have them.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Cyker said:

There is a thing called relay theft which is basically if you leave the keys near the front of the house, one miscreant with an antenna panel will wave it around the front of your house while his mate holds the relay next to the car, and if your keys are close enough for the antenna to pick it up it will make the car think the keys are next to the car and allow it to be unlocked and driven away.

Yes i've heard of that but i thought since mine didn't have the smart entry i would be safe, guess not. My car wasn't parked under my home since i don't have my own parking space, it was about 50m away.

If yours doesn't have smart entry then ignore everything I said as it won't apply to you! :laugh:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, King Crimson said:

Yes i've heard of that but i thought since mine didn't have the smart entry i would be safe, guess not. My car wasn't parked under my home since i don't have my own parking space, it was about 50m away.

Wow I didn’t think that they could clone it at that distance, if that’s that is so they must have tried the nearby houses??

Sorry to hear about your car getting nicked. I am surprised though as I didn't think there would be much of a market for stolen corolla parts. 

Hopefully it is recovered undamaged. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, King Crimson said:

George, are you 200% certain that you did lock the car ?

13 minutes ago, Trackpad said:

Sorry to hear about your car getting nicked. I am surprised though as I didn't think there would be much of a market for stolen corolla parts. 

Hopefully it is recovered undamaged. 

I'm 99% sure it has been destroyed by now, if not yet then definetly in the next hours. Corolla's are very popular in greece and see them all the time so i'm guessing there is a market for those parts here in greece.

Usually the cars are taken to ghettos which even the police can't get into becase of how dangerous it is, plus corruption of a few police officers i'm sure. For me the car is done for, i'm in a good mood about the whole situation though because i have insurance otherwise i don't even know if i would even be writing in these forums ahahah. 

• Sad 3

37 minutes ago, john p williams said:

George, are you 200% certain that you did lock the car ?

I always triple check when locking my car, and i have a habit of looking at my cars as i'm leaving and the mirros had folded so it was locked 100%.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Still strange to steal a Corolla. They are ultra popular indeed everywhere around the world but there are also parts widely available too plus not so crazy expensive. Cars like that usually got stolen to be used for a bigger crime, robbery or killing etc or just for fun and then abandoned somewhere. Let see what happens. I am sorry for you that you have to go through all that trouble. Cars these days are everyone’s legs and been taken away or broken is a pain for sure. Any possibility been towed away for been parked inappropriate? 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope it sorts quickly one way or another.

One of the reasons my car has a Disklok fitted to the steering wheel even when parked on my driveway.

Disklok Steering Wheel Full Cover Silver Security Lock Police Approved (Silver, Small, 35cm - 39cm) : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Still strange to steal a Corolla. They are ultra popular indeed everywhere around the world but there are also parts widely available too plus not so crazy expensive. Cars like that usually got stolen to be used for a bigger crime, robbery or killing etc or just for fun and then abandoned somewhere. Let see what happens. I am sorry for you that you have to go through all that trouble. Cars these days are everyone’s legs and been taken away or broken is a pain for sure. Any possibility been towed away for been parked inappropriate? 

Yeah to be honest it feels like i still haven't got over the fact that i don't have a car anymore, i was thinking of going to the mall tomorrow and then i think 'wait i dont have a car anymore' insurance says they'll get me a rental free of charge so we'll see. I have mixed feelings about the car being found, on the one hand i'll be glad that i get my car back and on the other i'm worried i will find it in an extremely damaged state which wouldn't be worth fixing even thought he insurance will cover the cost. 

I parked in my usual spots of my neighbourhood, nothing that would justify my car to be towed away

• Like 1

4 hours ago, flash22 said:

any tracking info come up at all ?

Asked toyota and they said they might be able to track it if it hasn't been tampered with. A few hours ago on myT app it was showing where my car had been parked last. Now when i try to log in it says there is an error, no idea what happend.

• Like 1

Is there no police investigation?   

sorry about your car 😢,are yyou in Athens btw?

53 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Is there no police investigation?   

sorry about your car 😢,are yyou in Athens btw?

I've given the police all of the information that they required so now all i have to do is wait, yes i am in athens.

Awful thing to happen, and I understand your worry even if the car is recovered.

Even if no visible damage, car thieves are notorious for thrashing the cars they steal among other things,as I am sure you know anyway.

I really hope that this works out ok for you in the end, and maybe get another equivalent car with no thieving hands having touched it.

Good luck 🤞