Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla 1.2 4cyl Turbo petrol MPG

Northwest_1.2

Hi everyone.

I was wondering if anyone on here has had the 1.2 turbo Corolla (2019). 

I have seen one that I really like, but I cant seem to find an accurate real world MPG expectation

with the price of petrol at the min, its a big factor.

thanks in advance for any info! 

May not get many replies as the 1.2T was only on sale in the UK for around 9 months. It was dropped from sale as it was outsold by the hybrid versions.

Thanks for the replies.

Its a lovley little thing and nice spec, but its looking like its average about low 30's around town which isnt great.

I was hoping someone may have had real life experience of one.

thanks again 🙂

52 minutes ago, Northwest_1.2 said:

Thanks for the replies.

Its a lovley little thing and nice spec, but its looking like its average about low 30's around town which isnt great.

I was hoping someone may have had real life experience of one.

thanks again 🙂

If you can’t find info about real world mpg on Corolla 1.2 you may want to look for information about Auris 1.2t , they shared the same engine and fuel consumption will be very similar. I recon around 40mpg if driven sensibly. 👍

If you type make and model and then fuel consumption in YouTube there will be videos for sure. There is one from uk too. https://youtu.be/I1dD6JyNeWc

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

If you can’t find info about real world mpg on Corolla 1.2 you may want to look for information about Auris 1.2t , they shared the same engine and fuel consumption will be very similar. I recon around 40mpg if driven sensibly. 👍

If you type make and model and then fuel consumption in YouTube there will be videos for sure. There is one from uk too. https://youtu.be/I1dD6JyNeWc

Now the weather has warmed up a little I am averaging 47/48 mpg in my Auris 1.2T 2018.

I tend to drive it with economy in mind and my commute is quite conducive to this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, davidif said:

Now the weather has warmed up a little I am averaging 47/48 mpg in my Auris 1.2T 2018.

I tend to drive it with economy in mind and my commute is quite conducive to this.

These are very good numbers indeed 👍 almost as good as hybrids. 👌

11 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

These are very good numbers indeed 👍 almost as good as hybrids. 👌

On the same commute I was getting approximately 62mpg from my ex-partners 1.8 Hybrid CH-R

• Thanks 1

I have the 1.2 Corolla with 16" wheels and have to say the fuel consumption around town isn't great at approx 30mpg  . On a trip of 40 miles  , mainly  A & B roads this improves to 46mpg . Motorway trips using the cruise control with the speed set to just under 70mph up to 55mpg is achievable with the motor barley audible . 

Would have preferred the 1.8 HSD however this would have  cost approx  6K more than the discounted price that I payed for my car ( new ) and just driving 4.5K miles a year now couldn't justify the extra cost  .

• Like 5

6 hours ago, st901 said:

I have the 1.2 Corolla with 16" wheels and have to say the fuel consumption around town isn't great at approx 30mpg  . On a trip of 40 miles  , mainly  A & B roads this improves to 46mpg . Motorway trips using the cruise control with the speed set to just under 70mph up to 55mpg is achievable with the motor barley audible . 

This quote is a realistic representation of this particular model.

I mostly drive in city at approx 33mpg (ECO mode). On trips approx 45mpg (NORMAL mode).

Nothing special as you can see but it loves high speed motorway cruising where you,ll  get the best mpg, similar to "st901". Any ECO, NORMAL & SPORT mode selection  doesn't noticeably contribute to petrol saving, just accelerator sensitivity.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, very insightful. 33 isnt too bad. Im averaging around 45 in my Mini 1.5t so its just hard to get the head around going down in power and up in MPG but its a lovely car! 

20 hours ago, beeblebrox said:

This quote is a realistic representation of this particular model.

I mostly drive in city at approx 33mpg (ECO mode). On trips approx 45mpg (NORMAL mode).

Nothing special as you can see but it loves high speed motorway cruising where you,ll  get the best mpg, similar to "st901". Any ECO, NORMAL & SPORT mode selection  doesn't noticeably contribute to petrol saving, just accelerator sensitivity.

I'm not sure that I agree with this assertion.

my 2018/68plate Auris with this engine is averaging 47/48mpg now the weather has warmed up a bit.

11 minutes ago, davidif said:

I'm not sure that I agree with this assertion.

my 2018/68plate Auris with this engine is averaging 47/48mpg now the weather has warmed up a bit.

Does the Auris with the 1.2t engine have a stop start system ?  If so perhaps that would explain the differences as the Corrolla  doesn't .

31 minutes ago, st901 said:

Does the Auris with the 1.2t engine have a stop start system ?  If so perhaps that would explain the differences as the Corrolla  doesn't .

Yes it does have stop/start. That seems like a strange omission from the Corolla.

• Like 2

This stop start saves very little tbh and many car manufacturers stop offering. They do mild hybrids which is slightly better although nothing much. Corolla with 1.2 should be as efficient as Auris or even better imo. Driving style, tyres and fuel quality may play a role here. I would not mind driving one of these engines in either Auris or Corolla but the places I am always are fully packed with cars and automatic is must have solution. 👍

• Like 2

I have a 2019 touring sport Design. Normal driving it averages high 30s for MPG. On longer motorway runs you can easily get high 40s - particularly with all the 50mph average speed roadworks as they turn the motorways into ‘smart’ roads. The engine is excellent for such a small unit but I do wish the petrol tank was bigger to give better range.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My parents have one. When they got it last September (2.5k miles) it was showing high 30's now (6k miles) around 42 mpg. Lots of short trips and usually branded petrol.

The engine is obviously loosening up but I would have thought another 5 or 6 mpg would be easily achieveable on decent runs.

• Thanks 1

Decided to go with the 1.8 hybrid (put a res fee on one) and now worried its too slow! what do people average mpg on the motorway. I do a big trip once every month or two from manchester to newcaslte. In my car now I would have the cruize on 80 and get 49mpg easy. A few videos on youtube show realy bad (like mid 30's) mpg on same driving conditions. 

9 minutes ago, Northwest_1.2 said:

Decided to go with the 1.8 hybrid (put a res fee on one) and now worried its too slow! what do people average mpg on the motorway. I do a big trip once every month or two from manchester to newcaslte. In my car now I would have the cruize on 80 and get 49mpg easy. A few videos on youtube show realy bad (like mid 30's) mpg on same driving conditions. 

That’s wrong about the mpg information. You can have it set at 80mph and still gonna have 50+ mpg on average, not sure if you like to drive 1.8 hybrid at constant 80mph though. If this is your driving style I think you are not going to be happy with the car , mpg will be fine. You either be better with 2.0 hybrid or even with 2.5 hybrid found in rav4, Camry to Lexus ES. 👍

80, meant 70! sorry my head is gone checking mpg's vs l/100km. I would just feel too slow at 60 on the motorway. 😵

What I find with my Yaris is it's lots of hard acceleration that hurts the mpg; Once I get it up to speed and let it settle down to cruise, it seems to run the engine around 2000rpm whether I'm doing 40mph or 70mph, so it can still remain pretty efficient at higher speeds - Much more so than the previous one.

I was on an airport run on the weekend, set cruise control for 70mph with a Yaris full of people and luggage and the car was at 2100-2200rpm for almost the whole run except for the hilly bits. I think I actually gained some of the mpg back that I'd been burning off during my work commute previously in the week as I was up 4mpg at the end! :laugh: 

One thing I have found in the car is I'm usually a lot less bothered about how fast I'm going, esp. on the motorway, as I usually just flick on the cruise control and let the car follow whoever's in front of me. It's partly because the car has so much instant burst acceleration I know if I get bored I can overtake whenever I like, but also with the CC on I don't have to concentrate on controlling the speed and sortof mentally off-load that onto the car while I concentrate on stopping the LTA/auto-steer from trying to kill me :laugh: 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Northwest_1.2 said:

80, meant 70! sorry my head is gone checking mpg's vs l/100km. I would just feel too slow at 60 on the motorway. 😵

😀, 70mph you will be perfectly fine then. The car is not slow at all it’s just easy and smooth to drive. The poor mpg you had been watching is current mpg while under heavy load, any car will show small numbers here, but when you drive relaxed and see 90mpg you will smile happily. 👍

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i've had  a 1.2 2019 Corolla for about 8 months and travel 5 miles to work and back a day in traffic and the car never goes below 38mpg and on a longer run around 46mpg (in eco mode)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Dudes with 1.2T corolla! Does you have a click noise when you step on the clutch pedal? I just start to listen it when i got 7k km... Before i hadn't heard or noticed any sound like this. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pedro costa said:

Dudes with 1.2T corolla! Does you have a click noise when you step on the clutch pedal? I just start to listen it when i got 7k km... Before i hadn't heard or noticed any sound like this. 

I had a an Aygo 1.0 as a courtesy car a couple of weeks back.  It did that, an annoying little noise!

It is presumably a limit switch to tell the engine stop/start system when the clutch pedal was pressed.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links