Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lancs to Sth of France in a 2015 Aygo?

Michy

We are thinking of driving our Aygo (2015 plate - 3 cylinder model) from Lancashire to the Sth of France, this summer, via a Ferry: Dover to Dunkirk.  1st night's stop is 130km into France Arras).  Day 2 - drive to Beaune about 480km, stop the night. Day 3 drive to Uzes -410km .... all on the motorway.  Then back again, 3 wks later.  

We will take it easy on the motorway and not drive the Aygo like a lunatic.  Am I being ridiculous in entertaining this idea?  Is this too much for a little Aygo?  Has anyone else done something similar?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you.  Michelle 🙂

• Like 1

We've done trips of up to 240 miles in our 2016 Aygo in the UK - so not far short of your 410km (254 miles) journey. Two up plus luggage, and motorway for most of the way. The Aygo handled it fine.

Wouldn't have any hesitation myself. 

From memory a couple of members have been across to Europe in their Aygos (both the first (2005-2014) and second generations (2014-2021) without any problem.

• Like 4

No reason why not I have done trips of 230 miles they can handle it well enough 

• Like 3

People before drove to the south of Europe in much worse cars and some Maroccans go back to their home countries in any car that can take them anywhere.
As long as you are only with 2 people in the citybug... Seems ok to me.

Of course you can do this !

The first long trip will give you an idea of how long and how far you can drive before getting tired with the car's noises and driving tiredness.

Seats in this car are surely ok...
The loud noise of the engine is tiring but you will avoid it by adapting speed to a lower level.
IMHO I could do a 1000 km trip in one day.
Not to repeat that every day but it can be done.
Used to do long trips in a van... that's not so much better to drive !

If you feel the need , stop for an hour halfway if you are doing really long trips or even stop 2 times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, haelewyn said:

People before drove to the south of Europe in much worse cars and some Maroccans go back to their home countries in any car that can take them anywhere.
As long as you are only with 2 people in the citybug... Seems ok to me.

Of course you can do this !

The first long trip will give you an idea of how long and how far you can drive before getting tired with the car's noises and driving tiredness.

Seats in this car are surely ok...
The loud noise of the engine is tiring but you will avoid it by adapting speed to a lower level.
IMHO I could do a 1000 km trip in one day.
Not to repeat that every day but it can be done.
Used to do long trips in a van... that's not so much better to drive !

If you feel the need , stop for an hour halfway if you are doing really long trips or even stop 2 times.

That is what I have been doing a lot more as I have my age has increased, more stops a longer breaks.  If it is a really long journey we break the journey by stopping overnight, but then with both of us retired we are in no hurry to get anywhere.

• Like 2

Aye, I often see posts on FB attacking EVs because of their range, and there'll always be that one joker who says "yeah but I drive 15000 miles in one go and I stay awake for 3 days"

Watch your speed in France on the highways..

French police are very thorough in making tourists pay speed taxes.

Be aware they are charging taxes too if you are making use of a GPS system that tells you where the speed checks are. If you have a system like this, at least switch it off.

You will see stations in the middle of a highway where you have to pay a road tax. 

The most fluent way is with an electronic identifier but that is only worth while for frequent use.

Second best way : don't pay cash.. use a card..  and don't go in the lines with the big T symbol / telepeage. That's for the frequent users who have the above mentioned Badge.

Have a good vacation, Michelle !

• Like 1

The Aygo can definitely do it; It's whether your bum and back can take being in it for so long! :laugh: 

I've done some long trips in my old Mk1 Yaris and the limiting factor was always me back and shoulders aching!

• Like 1

Agree with others, should do it easy, heard of peeps going to Easteren Europe in the first gen cars, the good news is you have a Mk2 car so with its better seats and refinement is a bonus. For a very long trip, I'd be leaving our 107 at home and stealing my sister's 108 keys! Have a nice trip anyways.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, haelewyn said:

Watch your speed in France on the highways..

And be aware that off the highways there may still be signs showing 90km/h, but the limit has been reduced to 80km/h.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:16 PM, Michy said:

We are thinking of driving our Aygo (2015 plate - 3 cylinder model) from Lancashire to the Sth of France, this summer, via a Ferry: Dover to Dunkirk.  1st night's stop is 130km into France Arras).  Day 2 - drive to Beaune about 480km, stop the night. Day 3 drive to Uzes -410km .... all on the motorway.  Then back again, 3 wks later.  

We will take it easy on the motorway and not drive the Aygo like a lunatic.  Am I being ridiculous in entertaining this idea?  Is this too much for a little Aygo?  Has anyone else done something similar?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.  Thank you.  Michelle 🙂

Lol, this sounds like great trip 😉🏝👌

Good idea to get the car fully serviced before you depart. Make sure you change the oil , filters and do an AC service, system check and regas plus cabin filter. Also buy all the necessary equipment you will need to travel through France and a bottle of engine oil as a spare one and a bottle of windscreen fluid, petrol stations along the motorways in Europe are crazy expensive, oh and mineral water too. 
Enjoy your trip 👍🚗

• Like 2

Don't forget to drive on the right saide of the road 🙂
Usually that's a bit tricky when you leave in the morning or when you drive off from a quiet area ...  where there is no other traffic as a reference.
I had it more than once in UK that i wondered : is he driving on the wrong side or am I ...
It was always me.

• Like 4

A post it note on the steering wheel saying "drive on the right" does not hurt.

Happy travels 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

no reason it cant do it , hundreds of others do the same

just make sure the fluids are topped up /serviced up to date  , dont be the fool going all the way there with the oil light on 

• Like 2

It might be worth bringing a bottle of oil with you as I did find extended journeys at higher RPMs would cause both my D4D and 1.33VVTi to use up some oil (Not a lot to be worried about tho', just enough for my OCD to be triggered to top it up to bring it back to the Max dot :laugh: )

Thank you, everyone.  We're massive lovers of France and we've driven down to the South of France loads of times - but always in a bigger car.  Your comments are reassuring and kind.  Thank you for that.  I mentioned this trip to my wonderful mechanic, yesterday, and he didn't bat an eye...he just said "it'll be a laugh and I'll get you a spare wheel and some spare bulbs"...oh and he'll do a full service and thorough check, too.  We're quite excited, now.  Thank you everyone. Xx 🤗

• Like 3

Make sure you have your France Kit (High-vis, multiple breathalyzers, spare bulbs, UK sticker, headlamp deflectors etc.) and double-check on any new regs the gendarmes could pull you over for!

Although I guess if you've done this before you know all this already...!

Oh, and take some piccys for us! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

I'm envious...I'd love a trip to the South of France like you're planning.

I think you'll be fine in the Aygo (I'm assuming it's up to date with servicing etc). I regularly do 200+ mile days, all motorway, when I visit my ageing Mum. I tend to hover around 60-65mph so engine noise is minimal and I'm always amazed by the excellent fuel consumption.

• Like 2