Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV owners... EV range check

Nick72

Just checking in to see how folk are getting on with their EV range now the weather is warming up?

I'm currently getting 50 to 56 miles a charge which is quite frankly superb since I'm often driving a little like batman. 

I saw a US forum post showing the end of trip data on the MID with a 65 mile range. I think this is doable with constant speed at the optimum temperature and speed (20 to 25C and 45mph) with some eco driving.

Compare this to a Peugeot full EV (I stalk them on their forum) and they have like a 180 mile claim but many of them only seeing 90 to 110! Talk about range anxiety and dodgy selling.

Looks like Toyota has undersold. I prefer that.

Screenshot_20220513-070112_MyT.jpg

I think Toyota took the annual weather related average as the figures although they are supposed to be the WLTP numbers. I think if I took the time to calculate the average it would not be far off the 46miles on EV.

Right now I’m getting around the low 50’s with AC on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ernieb said:

I think Toyota took the annual weather related average as the figures although they are supposed to be the WLTP numbers. I think if I took the time to calculate the average it would not be far off the 46miles on EV.

Right now I’m getting around the low 50’s with AC on.

Same.

What kind average speeds at the moment would you say Ernie?

This morning after a full charge it was showing 55 miles with Aircon..... impressive

• Like 1

Full charge range indicator isn’t the same as actual range likely to be travelled. I find the real world range is between 15 and 20% less than full charge range suggests. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flatcoat said:

Full charge range indicator isn’t the same as actual range likely to be travelled. I find the real world range is between 15 and 20% less than full charge range suggests. 

I have to say that hasn't been my experience lately. Checking actual mileage of all my trips has been very close to the total forecast range. Happy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

Yep. I'm not going off the guessometer. I'm going off the odo and if a long trip using only Battery then the end of trip reporting in the MID. So far the guessometer has been within a few percent. The guessometer is a rolling average so if your trips are unlike one another (speed, acceleration, temperature) then the guessometer is most likely to be wrong by a fair margin.

I'm getting mid to high forties in actual distance travelled, with GOM showing 52-3 with AC after a full charge. Distance achieved varying by speed/type of route. 

Yday had 32miles on GOM when got onto the A1, and managed just over 20miles at motorway(/dual carriageway) speeds, tho this was keeping up with fast moving traffic, so to speak, so not the most economical I could have been. Not bad nonetheless, if can expect at least 2/3 of indicated range at those speeds imo. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nick72 said:

Same.

What kind average speeds at the moment would you say Ernie?

Nick, difficult as my last couple of weeks has been local but often enough to consume most if not all of the Battery, but a good estimate would average at the mid 30's.  I've had a cancel a few trips as I have Plantar Fascilities pretty badly in my left foot so not many long trips. Based on last years when the mix was more 'normal' for me it would have been more like mid 40's to high 40's as an average.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

Nick, difficult as my last couple of weeks has been local but often enough to consume most if not all of the battery, but a good estimate would average at the mid 30's.  I've had a cancel a few trips as I have Plantar Fascilities pretty badly in my left foot so not many long trips. Based on last years when the mix was more 'normal' for me it would have been more like mid 40's to high 40's as an average.

Thanks Ernie and sorry to hear about your ailment. I feel for you. I have a different set of ailments. Old age and all that.

Probably similar overall. Mid 40s on average in the last 9 months but mostly not trying. I get low hybrid coaching scores 🤣

Interesting Nick as I get good Hybrid scores and similar EV range.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hayzee said:

I have to say that hasn't been my experience lately. Checking actual mileage of all my trips has been very close to the total forecast range. Happy

I should qualify this and say that virtually all my journeys lately have been short low speed events which would explain why I'm seeing the projected range

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:48 AM, Mike2222 said:

Yday had 32miles on GOM when got onto the A1, and managed just over 20miles at motorway(/dual carriageway) speeds, tho this was keeping up with fast moving traffic, so to speak, so not the most economical I could have been. Not bad nonetheless, if can expect at least 2/3 of indicated range at those speeds imo. 

Did the same journey in reverse today, and got up to dual carriageway roads much sooner, tho was in no hurry so stuck to an indicated 70mph, with a bit of leeway for gentle overtaking, but by and large was much steadier pace, and managed ~30 ev miles out of an indicated 41 on the GOM. 

• Like 1

Other observation, which others may already be fully aware of, but once phev Battery "depleted", and operating in hev mode, the car will stay as an EV if you keep throttle input to up to the half way marker in the ECO range of the left hand side dial, even at 60-odd mph. Currently can sitting on the drive with 25% state of charge because managed this for most of urban roads at end of journey - I had thought this was not possible due to the 30% software partitioning. I'm curious as to how low will it allow itself to discharge if driven this way? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike2222 said:

Did the same journey in reverse today, and got up to dual carriageway roads much sooner, tho was in no hurry so stuck to an indicated 70mph, with a bit of leeway for gentle overtaking, but by and large was much steadier pace, and managed ~30 ev miles out of an indicated 41 on the GOM. 

Yeh the guessometer is a rolling average over the last several trips so it doesn't know how fast your going to be driving on your next trip. At above 55mph the range starts to fall off rapidly so that's where you'll see the biggest difference to the guessometer.