Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla (2019 onwards) spare wheel

Micken

Might be a new addition - They keep trying to get rid of the spare when they release a new model, but then every customer demands one, so they end up putting it back in at least as an optional package in later revisions :laugh: 

I kinda wish the emissions tests would exclude the spare tyre from the test, if the extra weight is what is making manufacturers compromise safety just to get their CO2 rating down.

• Like 4

On 1/29/2022 at 12:51 PM, Roy124 said:

Just checked my boot.  If I remove the polystyrene formers I could lower the boot floor by a few inches and it would rest on the space saver wheel. 

If I removed the wheel as well the floor would now engage with identical mouldings at the lower level. 

When the boot floor is resting on top of the space saver, is it level?

Mine is engaged at the moulding behind the rear seats but raised at the boot opening. This could be because I am using a space saver from an Auris, hence my question in a previous post, is the Auris space saver higher, when laying on the ground, than the Corolla item?

I've a 1.8 design 19 plate. Hatchback and I got offered spare wheel and took the option

1 hour ago, TazUddin said:

I've a 1.8 design 19 plate. Hatchback and I got offered spare wheel and took the option

I bought my car second hand so didn't have the choice, also not an option on the Excel :taz:

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 11:23 AM, 50p said:

I have an Excel so no option available .. unless that has changed now with the latest version?

On the pricelist both a spare and TRK available on 1.8 Hatch Icon, Icon Tech & Design, the Excel & GR Sport is TRK only

• Like 1

In my opinion it was always a bad call for manufacturers to get rid of spares in favor of the puncture repair kit.  It is all about space and saving money.  But that said mine is a works car - so if a puncture I just call the lease company and they send someone to come out.

Having said that it is peace-of-mind to have a spare.  But down-side is you lose boot space to accommodate (well that is what the information stated before I selected the Corolla).

• 3 months later...

In case it helps anyone else:

I have a Swace with the factory 16" alloys and the huge wheel well under the boot floor.

Both Suzuki and Toyota dealers were highly unhelpful about selling me a spare wheel, whether full-size or space-saver.

I bought one of the 16" alloys, with tyre, from a scrapyard and put it under the boot floor. It fits fine with the boot floor in the "normal" (flat/level with the lip at the rear of the car) position and has plenty of space in side for jack/pump/etc.

I haven't bothered with retaining screw etc; if it rattles I'll just stuff some foam in there to stop things moving.

• 1 month later...

Hi. Am picking up a Corolla 1.8 GR Sport hatch at the weekend. Enquired after a spare wheel kit via parts dept, am told that Toyota will not sell the necessary parts to fit it aftermarket you can only spec it on new build. Has anyone had this experience as it seems strange. Managed to get all the parts to fit it to my current CH-R. Thanks in advance

• Like 1

It could be that during the current parts shortage, Toyota can't manage the provision of the (large) kit of parts required to change the boot floor layout.

I bought most of the required parts, new, from eBay and some from the main dealer. I also bought the two polystyrene parts that surround the spacesaver but no picture. There was one part I needed, a small piece of trim. On eBay a breaker wanted £49, second hand with a broken clip. I bought the whole thing from a main dealer, including clips for £10!

IMG_20220513_130804.jpg

IMG_20220513_130942.jpg

IMG_20220513_131334.jpg

IMG_20220513_131347.jpg

IMG_20220513_132323.jpg

IMG_20220513_135348.jpg

IMG_20220513_144252.jpg

IMG_20220513_150046.jpg

Edited by 50p
added text
  • Like 3

Spare wheel was in my my22 2l gr sport hb, however, can’t get spare for my23 2l TS, just not an option, I don’t think Toyota listen to their customers requests 

1 hour ago, simond64 said:

can’t get spare for my23 2l TS, just not an option

If it has a panoramic roof, the increased weight of having a spare wheel may affect the emissions rating ..... so may be the reason this isn't an option.

• Like 3

I know a work colleague recently ordered a 23 MY 1.8 Design TS with the factory fit optional spare wheel for his company vehicle.

Maybe it's a case of the dealer parts person just can't be bothered.

I had a 2.0 Corolla hybrid hatchback with a panoramic roof and a factory fitted space saver kit.

Thanks for all the replys. Parts issues seems logical. The images of the boot area for the panoramic  roof look totally different so guess the Shell is different. 

The parts info i got was from the dealer i use for service, buy the car elsewhere so will ask there. 

Thanks again.👍👍

Its probably down to weight/emmisions value with having a pamaramic roof.

If you change it to a spare wheel (spacesaver) type check first with your insurer just incase its an issue if you make a insurance claim.

This is the best extra in Corolla hatchback not only because gives you an extra security if you have a puncture, but also because the installation kit rises the floor and rear seats can fold completely flat making the small hatchback as practical as small estate. Must have addition to any Corolla hatchback that comes without one. Good job  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Its probably down to weight/emissions value with having a panoramic roof.

please excuse my ignorance but how does the extra weight, by having a space saver, affect the emissions? The emissions check at MOT time is just a probe up the exhaust pipe, so surely the weight makes no difference?

19 minutes ago, 50p said:

please excuse my ignorance but how does the extra weight, by having a space saver, affect the emissions? The emissions check at MOT time is just a probe up the exhaust pipe, so surely the weight makes no difference?

Perhaps emissions test when the car gets approval are very different from mot probes. Any gram in that case matters. After purchase anyone can add extra spare wheel if the space allows. 

• Like 3

Any option that adds weight or resistance has to be separately tested for CO2 emissions, but not if fitted after registration. There is a tolerance allowed, perhaps the space saver & the pan roof is over that.  The insurance would not have an issue unless you exceeded the Gross Vehicle Weight.

I remember when I ordered my 1.8 Design hatch in Feb, it was the same cost for the TRK model and the spare wheel model, the spare wheel model had higher emissions.

For us needing the extra space in the boot (not huge even with the TRK) the spare was not an option.

• Like 2

You may be able to pick out the bits you need (guessing ... wheel, mount, tray, jack .... ?) from Toyota store on Ebay:

ToyotaOfficialStore | eBay Stores .

I bought genuine mudflaps, door shut protectors and rear bumper protector from them - all came promptly at good prices.

If in doubt about parts required - ask them - they were helpful to me as I was unsure which mudflaps to order.

On 11/16/2022 at 10:44 PM, simond64 said:

Spare wheel was in my my22 2l gr sport hb, however, can’t get spare for my23 2l TS, just not an option, I don’t think Toyota listen to their customers requests 

I think you can just drop a 16 inch full size winter tire there. It is completely flat with 16 inch wheel.  I used my winter wheel as a spare wheel in summer vacation. The weight of full size wheel is small compared to our luggages. 

In winter, i rarely go far beyond civilization area. 

• 5 months later...

Whilst I realize that that the 2021 spare wheel is 1 inch smaller than the 2022 will it still fit the 2022 ??

I really hate not having a spare wheel.and having to rely on the puncture outfit provided. They maybe ok for a nail etc. but of no use for a slit.