Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

dings and chips

fourbanks

How is the Toyota Corolla made in the UK for getting chips on the bodywork and Dings on the roof from acorns falling. The reason ask is that my Japanese built cars of the past were shocking, mainly Mitsubishi and Mazda 

thanks 

1 hour ago, fourbanks said:

How is the Toyota Corolla made in the UK for getting chips on the bodywork and Dings on the roof from acorns falling. The reason ask is that my Japanese built cars of the past were shocking, mainly Mitsubishi and Mazda 

thanks 

Same. Easily get damage. Now days even German cars are in similar situations, it’s down to paint type and layers. 👍

Is there a difference to solid paint, metallic and pearlescent in terms of durability?

37 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Same. Easily get damage. Now days even German cars are in similar situations, it’s down to paint type and layers. 👍

i thought so. 😞

Pearl is usually a 3 stage paint - ground, a base and a clear coat on top depending on the marque panel thickness can be 0.5- 1.2mm on a skin - the French have been using thermal plastics and GRP since the late 70's

95% of automotive paints are now water based,, long gone are the days of 2 pack and cellulose they are for 'industrial use only' funny enough you can get them in automotive colours

If you're worried it'd be worth getting a good ceramic coating applied - The good ones put a hardened layer on the top which can mitigate some chipping, but needs to be reapplied anything from a few months to a year.

If you have deep pockets then paint protection film is even more durable but that stuff is expensive AF

• Like 1

Drive sensibly and don't tailgate helps alot too.☺️

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, bigblock said:

Drive sensibly and don't tailgate helps alot too.☺️

My chips over the years have always been top bonnet and the top of the car with acorns etc never front bumper or side of the car and have never tailgated or damaged my alloys in any way whatsoever in 50 years of driving. Overall iv'e been a good driver, but these chips bug me as the dents do on the top of the car each year. 

• Like 1

My car looks like been shot at multiple times. Front bumper, bonnet, top edge over the windshield, roof, wheel arches, some places deep dings to the bare metal., and many tiny ones that almost impossible to fix unless re spray the whole car. One door now the paint is peeling off like on American Priuses. Well I found a solution and works great, camouflage wraps. I will make the whole car look like a testing prototype in near future 🚗😀

9B3346F7-448D-4C5E-8EFD-3299B96A1EB1.jpeg

D6ACB7F3-56B1-465B-82FF-D0992A5B2AFB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

My car looks like been shot at multiple times. Front bumper, bonnet, top edge over the windshield, roof, wheel arches, some places deep dings to the bare metal., and many tiny ones that almost impossible to fix unless re spray the whole car. One door now the paint is peeling off like on American Priuses. Well I found a solution and works great, camouflage wraps. I will make the whole car look like a testing prototype in near future 🚗😀

9B3346F7-448D-4C5E-8EFD-3299B96A1EB1.jpeg

D6ACB7F3-56B1-465B-82FF-D0992A5B2AFB.jpeg

Nice car Tony, despite the chips 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

If you're worried it'd be worth getting a good ceramic coating applied - The good ones put a hardened layer on the top which can mitigate some chipping, but needs to be reapplied anything from a few months to a year.

If you have deep pockets then paint protection film is even more durable but that stuff is expensive AF

While it does not make chip proof a ceramic. or more recently a graphene coat which is said to be a advanced ceramic coat, will help some articles to slip off.  The ceramic coat also seems to give you a slightly better protection to bird dropping although I remove them as soon as they are spotted. 

For paint chips I have found the Chipex system to works well and I cover stone chips as soon as I see them.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hornet3D said:

While it does not make chip proof a ceramic. or more recently a graphene coat which is said to be a advanced ceramic coat, will help some articles to slip off.  The ceramic coat also seems to give you a slightly better protection to bird dropping although I remove them as soon as they are spotted. 

For paint chips I have found the Chipex system to works well and I cover stone chips as soon as I see them.

What do you think of the touch up paint from Toyota,

Toyota Touch Up Paint Repair Kit - Toyota Parts Direct (toyotadirectparts.co.uk)

8 minutes ago, fourbanks said:

What do you think of the touch up paint from Toyota,

Toyota Touch Up Paint Repair Kit - Toyota Parts Direct (toyotadirectparts.co.uk)

I have not used the Toyota kit but I have no doubt it will be first class.  It is cheaper than Chipex but then Chipex system is just that as includes applicators and some blending and polish solutions so it is not a like for like comparison. 

TBH it's just paint, lacquer and an abrasive, it's not significantly better than the kits you can get from e.g. Halfords, but in theory there's a higher probability the colour will be an exact match since it's their own paint.

Got one for my Mk1 Yaris, but the paint didn't quite match because the car's paint had faded and lightened. Still used it to fill in the chips tho'!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hornet3D said:

I have used Chipex for many years. I have become quite an expert at using it now. It works really well on stone chips.

I had used Toyota touch up kit with poor results , perhaps was me or the paint (pearl white) but the area I did touch after applying top coat became silver like and not good at all. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I've used the manufacture's branded paints in the past, but i'm no good, sad to say. I probably try too hard and lack the knack and keep trying but never to my liking 

Yeah you'll never get it looking as good as factory with these paint kits; I just think of it as a quick and cheap way to stop small chips rusting. The smart repair guy did a much better job but it took him a few hours!

I almost prefer those little stickers they used to give you with the car - They didn't match too well either but were easier to apply!

7 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I almost prefer those little stickers they used to give you with the car

Product called Stickerfix - https://www.jlynchsons.ie/pages/service-and-accessories/genuine-accessories/stickerfix.json

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes! Those! :laugh: 

Good memory, I'd totally forgotten what they were called... seems obvious now really...!

They're no longer available, are they? 

I didn't think so but burrows toyota are selling them on eBay, albeit for an rather hefty sum of ~£58 :eek: 

The sheet of stickers must be the size of a tent for that kind of money!!

14 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I didn't think so but burrows toyota are selling them on ebay, albeit for an rather hefty sum of ~£58 :eek: 

The sheet of stickers must be the size of a tent for that kind of money!!

That's very expensive. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yeah you'll never get it looking as good as factory with these paint kits; I just think of it as a quick and cheap way to stop small chips rusting. The smart repair guy did a much better job but it took him a few hours!

I almost prefer those little stickers they used to give you with the car - They didn't match too well either but were easier to apply!

Chipex is only really for minor scratches stone chips.  Done well I think the painted chip blends with the existing paint and it would be very difficult to actually see them.  Once left for the requisite time they can then be waxed or have ceramic coat applied when the rest of the car is done making sure that the area will not rust.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links