Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Power loss when using AC

Chris Boddum

Hey Aygo-folks

You may recognise me from my journey with my Aygo - all issues have been solved, car finally drives great with new O2 sensors and new mounts. Lovely.

After having solved the running issues, I've finally been able to enjoy the car. This also means I've noticed the significant power loss when using AC. I do realise that this is just how it works with a small engine, but do you people also notice the power "surges" when accelerating? It definitely feels like a parachute folds out every now and then. It's also noticeable just going at a steady speed, and suddenly, you get a little jolt down your spine from the AC compressor. You can also feel the drag when coming on / off the throttle.

Is this normal? If it is, then that's perfectly fine - using the AC with a few jolts is much nicer than sweating. 

Would you people reckon that regassing the system could help the power loss? Or is it a waste of money? Seems to cool OK, but I'm sure it could need servicing after 7 years.

2015 Mk2.

Thanks.

My car is only a year old but the AC issues you describe has been there from the first time I used it.

It is certainly the noisiest and most noticeable of any car I have ever owned, we'll just have to accept it.

7 years is pretty good going for the system, might be worth a check over.

• Like 1

Mines the same and new seems to be normal for the aygo

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chris Boddum said:

Hey Aygo-folks

You may recognise me from my journey with my Aygo - all issues have been solved, car finally drives great with new O2 sensors and new mounts. Lovely.

After having solved the running issues, I've finally been able to enjoy the car. This also means I've noticed the significant power loss when using AC. I do realise that this is just how it works with a small engine, but do you people also notice the power "surges" when accelerating? It definitely feels like a parachute folds out every now and then. It's also noticeable just going at a steady speed, and suddenly, you get a little jolt down your spine from the AC compressor. You can also feel the drag when coming on / off the throttle.

Is this normal? If it is, then that's perfectly fine - using the AC with a few jolts is much nicer than sweating. 

Would you people reckon that regassing the system could help the power loss? Or is it a waste of money? Seems to cool OK, but I'm sure it could need servicing after 7 years.

2015 Mk2.

Thanks.

Mine is the same … you can change the cabin filter yourself to help with air flow .. only about £15 on Amazon …. 

3 hours ago, Bitch1001 said:

Mine is the same … you can change the cabin filter yourself to help with air flow .. only about £15 on Amazon …. 

Definitely worth a try, would the increased airflow make the AC performance better (thereby reducing stress on the motor?) Sounds plausible, I don't think my pollen filter has ever actually been changed (for 7 years)

• Like 1

I don't notice any significant power loss, maybe I'm just used to it.

• Like 1

We just leave the air con on all the time in both cars - have done for 16 years or so. Don't think the power loss in the Aygo is that noticeable.

In winter using the air con in conjunction with the heater dehumidifies the incoming air - easier demisting, etc.

• Like 3

iirc the aygo uses a conventional a/c compressor with a magnetic clutch - it could well be the bearing is shot in the pulley

pop the fan/AUX belt off and have a feel of the pulley, it should spin freely with no play, the front plate should have little to no movement also check the air gap with feeler gauges between the front of the clutch and the magnet - I think I have the specs for it somewhere

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

iirc the aygo uses a conventional a/c compressor with a magnetic clutch - it could well be the bearing is shot in the pulley

pop the fan/AUX belt off and have a feel of the pulley, it should spin freely with no play, the front plate should have little to no movement also check the air gap with feeler gauges between the front of the clutch and the magnet - I think I have the specs for it somewhere

It's a simple test, I'll make sure to do that. I tried changing the cabin air filter (it was black and 90% blocked) and the AC seems much cooler and the compressor seems to work much easier now. Does it sound weird? It really doesn't seem like placebo, I can barely feel the AC kicking in now.

• Like 1

That's odd, sounds like the filter has never been changed, the A/C will get hot with little air flow and will stress the compressor - basically it's an air to air heat exchanger it requires are air flow at both ends

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash22 said:

That's odd, sounds like the filter has never been changed, the A/C will get hot with little air flow and will stress the compressor - basically it's an air to air heat exchanger it requires are air flow at both ends

Yeah, it makes sense - I did notice that my AC never cooled properly and that it would always become really strainy on the engine after a few kilometers. It seems perfectly happy now!

• Like 1

Pollen filter change once a year is a very good idea. Manufacturers recommend two or more years but these filters get clogged with exhaust particles and although look clean they can have a reduced air flow and smell of car fumes. AC regas service once every 2-4 years also helps. They add some oil too while doing that procedure and it’s easier for the compressor to work. 👍

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Chris Boddum said:

Definitely worth a try, would the increased airflow make the AC performance better (thereby reducing stress on the motor?) Sounds plausible, I don't think my pollen filter has ever actually been changed (for 7 years)

Mine hadn’t been either … 

• 2 weeks later...

No issues with my 2022 Aygo . I dont use aircon much anyway as the point/pay back to drive such a low powered vehicle is to save on fuel. UK has little demand for it anyway . Used more for demisting the windscreen if anything! 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links