Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Full headlight upgrade.

Urko

Hi there, 

I own a  Hybrid Toyota Auris from 2016 (ZWE186). 

As you already know the halogen bulb headlights don't give so much light. 

I was wondering if any of you have try to upgrade to the full led headlights that could be bought from Toyota OEM. 81110-02k60

It seems that it could be done, although the cable arneses look different? Two in the led one vs one the halogen one? 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2016 Auris Excel hybrid hatchback has the full LED headlight system. It’s stonkingly good. Sealed units and LED’s that can’t be replaced AFAIK. Maybe worth looking into switching the whole lamp assemblies? Not sure on the wiring harnesses mods though. 

63A9D99B-C85E-4568-A0D7-A47BD70ED006.jpeg

One of those leads could be negative. There are also some kits for sale, some also conversion kits, so check if you find anything that might work for you.

I don't think it would be a big problem to cut and splice an original adapter to the one for LED's, but not sure about the voltage for Halogen and LED, if it's the same, or some transformer is there, or needed to be put there.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you got Toyota to replace the headlights under warranty (existing recall for them) ? 

8 minutes ago, Packard said:

Have you got Toyota to replace the headlights under warranty (existing recall for them) ? 

A 2016 Auris would be out of warranty - both in the UK (5 years/100,000 miles) and in Europe (3 years/100,000km).

Would that be Covered by the “ten year” warranty if serviced through the new ten year warranty scheme  if the customer complains ?

Not included within the Relax terms and conditions.

I have exactly the same model as you - albeit a 2018 version.  I fitted a pair of LED bulbs back in December 2021.  Made a vast difference to driving at night. I chose these because of a relatively modest price and a three year warranty. If you click on the 'Review' tab, you'll see my comments - I'm 'Andrew'.

autobulbsdirect.co.uk/twenty20-compact-led-bulbs-HIR2

But, bear in mind that if you fit any form LED lights, the car will technically be illegal. (It won't be 'street legal'.) It was 'E' marked with halogens, and only with halogens will it be legal. However, being pragmatic, the MoT tester didn't notice and no-one has complained or 'flashed' me because I was dazzling them.  Anyway, I recommend them!

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wooster said:

the car will technically be illegal.

However, the MOT has been tightened up.  In the UK from March 2021, if one fits LED or HID bulbs to a headlight designed for halogen, it will be an MOT fail -

On 6/8/2022 at 5:34 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

it will be an MOT fail

Yes, I understand.  But my MoT tester didn't notice.  After all, he's hardly likely to remove the 'bulbs' to check, is he?

That's their mistake.

15 hours ago, Wooster said:

After all, he's hardly likely to remove the 'bulbs' to check, is he?

No need, they can be seen through the front of the headlight assembly. And I'm sure any tester with a grain of common sense knows the difference in appearance/light intensity between filament lamps and l.e.d.s?

The MOT testers round here certainly notice. Used to see quite a few cars with LED's fitted (all dazzling) now just the odd one now and again.

On a side note I can't understand the obsession with fitting brighter/more intense headlights - unless you perhaps do a lot of driving on unlit country roads, headlights are more so YOU can be seen rather than for seeing where you are going, full beam is for illuminating the road ahead. Certainly where I live the street lights are good enough that you can see a couple of hundred metres without the use of headlights, probably why you see so many cars at night without lights on, I can appreciate this may not be the case elsewhere.

If you fit brighter bulbs all you are doing is making that 20ft in front of your car brighter ! And when I do need high beam I find standard bulbs adequate. But as I say there may be a need in certain situations for a brighter bulb to be fitted.

• 10 months later...

Example of retrofited LED on Auris. It is not allowed by MOT but it is better than hitting curb and pothole every other month.  From the Lux meter measurements, the intensity of the LED is about 3x brighter than the HIR2/9012 Philips LL.  We need high quality LED, 99% in eBay are Junk and not even brighter than the Halogen and terrible light patterns.  This picture is from V45 Bevinsee.  In auris the light pattern is exactly the same as halogen (taken from different location and time) but white and brighter. 

bevinseev45Auris.jpg

hellaHIR2.jpg

• Like 2