Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid health check failed

andyfr

Our Auris hybrid is 4 years old but has only covered 18,000 miles. It recently had it's annual service but the hybrid health check failed. We took it back again after 20 days but as we had been away in our other car it had only done 30 miles since the last test so failed again. We have now been told to drive it to charge the hybrid Battery but the dealer wasn't very helpful on how far to drive. Does anyone have any idea as to the best way to charge the hybrid Battery please?

Also, does another retest have to be done within a specific time period to maintain the warranty?

Thanks for any help.

See the following topic, especially Devon Aygo's post of 20/10/20:

Thanks for that. 🙂

Ours did have a new 12v Battery a few months ago due to not being used through the winter and hasn't done a great mileage since as it's only used for local trips. The dealer told us to take it back in 30 days but not how far to drive in that time so not a huge help!

3 hours ago, andyfr said:

Thanks for that. 🙂

Ours did have a new 12v battery a few months ago due to not being used through the winter and hasn't done a great mileage since as it's only used for local trips. The dealer told us to take it back in 30 days but not how far to drive in that time so not a huge help!

Hi, 

you will need to ask on what exactly is base the failure? Hybrid Battery? 12v Battery. , inverter? , and what exactly it’s wrong? Things need to be clearly especially when your car likely to be under warranty. If they haven’t mentioned anything further I believe the hybrid Battery may have significant cell deviation and perhaps that’s why they have suggested to use the car and then re test again. If that’s the case I can highly recommend to drive the car for one full hour or longer and if not possible then you can set the car in ready mode and leave it ON for 1-2 hours . You will need to be around or in the car for security and safety. 👍

Hi Tony

Thanks for that. We will be going out for a long run later in the week and I will also try leaving it in ready mode in addition before booking it in for another retest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyfr said:

Thanks for that. 🙂

Ours did have a new 12v battery a few months ago due to not being used through the winter and hasn't done a great mileage since as it's only used for local trips. The dealer told us to take it back in 30 days but not how far to drive in that time so not a huge help!

my car failed due to a fault code (possibly caused by 12 v Battery disconnection), was re checked after 500 miles and then the test passed.

• Like 1

Hi David

Hopefully when we give it a good run it will pass. 

2 minutes ago, andyfr said:

Hi David

Hopefully when we give it a good run it will pass. 

After service i was told to bring the car back to re test in a week with 500 miles driving, actually it took me a couple of month to have 500 miles during the lockdown, if your hybrid Battery is charging, you will be fine after 500 miles. you said you changed a new Battery, so it's quite possibly due to the Battery disconnection caused the issue as i did.

4 hours ago, andyfr said:

Ours did have a new 12v battery a few months ago due to not being used through the winter and hasn't done a great mileage since as it's only used for local trips. 

Yeah I had the same, Battery change, and it seems to stop Toyota's process until you've clocked up sufficient miles after the reset.

What was rather irritating though was the 'computer says no' attitude, rather than provide some basic feedback on what they found at that point, albeit with the need to come back after the extra mileage to confirm the result and validate the extended warranty.

That was our experience with the dealer as well. No helpful guidance just a lecture from the service receptionist.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:14 PM, andyfr said:

Hi Tony

Thanks for that. We will be going out for a long run later in the week and I will also try leaving it in ready mode in addition before booking it in for another retest.

You have to have covered more than 320 miles since the failed health check without further fault to pass the HHC otherwise it will fail again and require another 320 miles before it can be rechecked, your dealer saying 30 days is utterly useless without knowing you will cover the 320 miles

• Like 2

Okay, I will make sure we cover that mileage. Thanks for the tip.