Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PHEV - one-pedal driving

kucyk

Recently having fun with the gearbox set to S2 mode. The regenerative braking is strong enough that I rarely need to use the brake pedal approaching the roundabouts etc, also it looks like I'm getting better kWh per mile. My theory is that the regenerative breaking is more efficient when not using the brake pedal. I discovered it after 4 of car ownership, so I'm sure there are more people like me. Give it a try and let us know what you think, I personally enjoy it 😎 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Luke, what do you mean by the S2 mode?

I played a lot with none braking and braking regeneration and in the end figured there was not much in it. I seemed to think that in none braking mode the regeneration was light but more time and in braking modes the regeneration was proportionally higher depending on where the peddle was but a shorter time.

low recovery  X  long time  =  higher recovery  X  short time

I did try the 'Shift' S modes (sometimes refer to a manual or Sport mode) for more recovering but frankly seemed a faff and overall not much better that just driving and enjoying the car. The car seems to do just fine left to its own devices.

Could be total rubbish on my part and all based on nothing much more than looking at the in car instrumentation over similar trips using different driving styles.

In general I tend to leave it in ECO and use a none braking mode as much as possible consistent with not confusing or disrupting the flow of traffic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ernieb said:

I did try the 'Shift' S modes (sometimes refer to a manual or Sport mode)

I'm pretty sure that Luke really means S mode and the S mode setting 2. I've no idea whether the S stands for Shift or Select since it refers to selecting a shift range and Toyota don't specify what it stands for, but it shouldn't be confused with 'manual' or 'sport' - it's an entirely different thing to Sport mode.

Oh, and I haven't been bothered to use it at all - Normal mode and the pre-set automatic 'shift range' work just fine for me, but each to his / her own ... 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

I played a lot with none braking and braking regeneration and in the end figured there was not much in it. I seemed to think that in none braking mode the regeneration was light but more time and in braking modes the regeneration was proportionally higher depending on where the peddle was but a shorter time.

low recovery  X  long time  =  higher recovery  X  short time

That's probably right, bul low recovery X long time is unusable for the most of the time and you have to use the break pedal anyway, where higher / stronger recovery in short time gives you enough breaking power when approaching roundabouts etc. so you can keep your leg on the acceleration pedal.

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

I did try the 'Shift' S modes (sometimes refer to a manual or Sport mode) for more recovering but frankly seemed a faff and overall not much better that just driving and enjoying the car. The car seems to do just fine left to its own devices.

When you tried S, have you put it in the "gear" 2? The regenerative breaking is very noticeable at "gear" 2 (and it stays at gear 2 till 60mph or something around that) which allows you to drive without using the break pedal for the most of the time, something you can't do in the normal mode as in the normal mode, the car is just rolling when you release the acceleration pedal.

1 hour ago, philip42h said:

I'm pretty sure that Luke really means S mode and the S mode setting 2. I've no idea whether the S stands for Shift or Select since it refers to selecting a shift range and Toyota don't specify what it stands for, but it shouldn't be confused with 'manual' or 'sport' - it's an entirely different thing to Sport mode.

Oh, and I haven't been bothered to use it at all - Normal mode and the pre-set automatic 'shift range' work just fine for me, but each to his / her own ... 😉

What is pre-set automatic shift range?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Luke, when I first got the car nearly a year ago I tried lots of different modes of brake regeneration, I can not honestly say I’ve tried holding the car in S mode 2 and driving in a one pedal style. I got to a point where I appeared to be getting the most out of the car with high Hybrid scores, good efficiency and still able to keep up with the traffic. Most of the time I just enjoy the drive, stick in ECO mode and let the car do the work.

if you’ve found a mode that suits your driving style and your happy with that then go for it, it’s always of interest to see how other people use and drive the car, lots of options which is not a bad thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kucyk said:

What is pre-set automatic shift range?

What the car just does if the driver doesn't mess with it. At a guess it will be something equivalent to S3 or S4 but I neither know nor really care! 🙂

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, philip42h said:

What the car just does if the driver doesn't mess with it. At a guess it will be something equivalent to S3 or S4 but I neither know nor really care! 🙂

From my experience, car doesn't change regenerative braking characteristics when in D mode, so not sure what you are talking about 🤔 Maybe this is fixed for HEV.

• Like 1

I have found increased range when using sport mode, which tends to hold the power meter right in the centre of charge when you let off the throttle. 

I expect S2 is similar. 

• Like 1

It’s been my understanding that in the PHEV as you apply more braking it will increase the regenerative until it hits the  normal disc braking section. The energy use dial shows the CHG section then the OFF section moving more along the CHG section increases the regeneration before the disc brakes operate.

94954634-AFDF-4587-B99F-C0EB88A0DB7C.jpeg

Surely @ernieb but the whole point of this thread is to be able to operate vehicle with one pedal only, using brakes only when you want to stop the car or brake harder. All I'm saying is in S2 it works pretty well, at least for me.

• Like 1

Agreed Luke that is the topic of the thread, I guess all I’m saying is that the car is not designed that way and from my perspective it’s not worth the faff trying to emulate that operation on a car not designed that way.

Really sorry all - newbie here: how do I go about increasing the regenerative breaking?

25 minutes ago, Adsf said:

Really sorry all - newbie here: how do I go about increasing the regenerative breaking?

Two answers:

1. You don't - there is no switch or setting that simply increases the level of regenerative braking (regenerative breaking would be worrying).
  2. Switch the shift lever from D to S and select a low-ish number. At the start of this thread Luke is suggesting S2 - S1 would give more aggressive 'engine' braking; S3 would give somewhat less. But what you would be doing here would be instructing the car to use an alternative set of "shift ratios" similar to selecting a lower gear when going down hill - the car will allow the engine (ICE or electric motors) to rev at a higher speed. Doing so will also similarly impact the way the car accelerates and uses energy (fuel or electricity) and is a semi-manual style of driving ...
  • Like 1

I haven't played around with it myself, but I recall others saying on a different thread that regeneration appears stronger in sport setting? However, whether this actually saves you any energy was inconclusive IIRC, seeing as throttle response (and thus rate of energy use on acceleration) was increased. I think consensus was that whilst regeneration is increased, the focus required to feather the throttle so as not to overdo it was tiring, and life is too short, so just leave the car in eco or normal (depending on personal preferences). 

For what it's worth, I just leave the car in eco and go about my business as usual, although I do find a small joy in making a game of my usual routes to see how little actual friction braking I can use (ie max regen) by timing when & how much to apply the brake pedal into the "charge range". Ah, the little things in life... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks, really like this topic...

The 2019 C-HR user manual says something about engine brake not being activated on position S4, S5, S6.

I guess S4 would have the most regenerative braking with out the penalty of mechanical engine drag.

What are your experiences, feelings using: 1. Power/Sport mode

2. S4 Position 

3. Cruise control

4. Any combination of all above

I really like the idea of some sort of one-pedal-driving, that doesn't use to much ICE-drag

Thanks

14 minutes ago, YaDba said:

I really like the idea of some sort of one-pedal-driving, that doesn't use to much ICE-drag

So, get an EV ... 😉

This thread started as a discussion of the possibilities of one pedal driving in a RAv4 PHEV. That's part way to being an EV but not really very far down that track. A self-charging hybrid like ours is simply a more fuel-efficient ICE - I mean they are very nice to drive but nothing like an EV and one-pedal driving is pretty much an illusion ... 🙂

I use S2 whenever I have a decent hill to descend or sometimes decelerating quickly from high speed. S1 is not available till about 35 mph or less and is seriously aggressive regen. My habit was formed by years of driving quickly in old classic cars where the brakes are prone to overheating so down shifting was similar to one pedal operation in as much as one pedal per foot.

Toyota recommends driving in "normal mode", and to desacelerate gently with the brake pedal.

Our mental exercise of S2-driving continuously or equivalent, could be now comfortable and fun, but could also be expensive and painful if the Battery needs to be replaced early and suddenly, or some other engine component.

I think, maybe is better to use a little more gas and hydraulic brakes on the long-run.