Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil level after 1st service.

Hybrid21

Checked the oil level after service yesterday and sitting about 2-3mm  above the max mark. 😟

Do you think it needs some taken out ? Should I do it myself or go back to dealer ?

I would just leave it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Iain, I’d leave it as is but if it’s going to end up as a mind worm give the service dept a call. Maybe recheck in a few weeks time.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hybrid21 said:

Checked the oil level after service yesterday and sitting about 2-3mm  above the max mark. 😟

Do you think it needs some taken out ? Should I do it myself or go back to dealer ?

it's within normal limits' no problem 

• Thanks 1

it will never be exact and never could be as parts have been replaced and drained. In all my 50 years of driving, 2/3 mm is excellent 

• Thanks 1

Usually it is better to be 2-3mm below max mark. The min and the max marks are to show where exactly is the oil level and if within the marks between min and max is ok, anything out is not ok on theory. In practice you can drive with 3-4 mm out of the marks and still be fine. 2-3mm no point to bother with dealers, 5mm or more then you buy a large 150ml syringe and suitable tube and suck some oil out instead of dealing with the garage. That’s what I use for that job and brake fluid too. 👍 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084QHHG3C?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_RBHBTPBRTZM0EGMCHXFW

• Thanks 2

Hi Tony, does the tube fit down the dipstick hole ok and reach the oil ?

14 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Hi Tony, does the tube fit down the dipstick hole ok and reach the oil ?

There is no need to remove any oil from your engine. 

• Like 1

One of the reasons I stopped servicing cars in dealers for over 30 years. Once overfilled the engine oil, other occasion they overfilled the brake fluid reservoir in front of me, spilling all over and just wiped out with a dirty cloth.  That was when I started to service my own cars and bikes at home before they became too complicated with all electronics and gizmos.   Too old now, too fat and too tired, will need to trust Toyota dealers to do the proper job from this year on.  

• Like 2

The only problem with your overfill now is that this shows the attention to details the mechanics has when working on your car. There is no need to worry as Stephen said. Not sure the tube provided will get in the dipstick tube as it’s OD 9mm and ID6mm, perhaps you may need something smaller like OD6mm and ID4mm. Here this one maybe https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B093SRNF86?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_2MSTCPZBWH27KQA6HE5C

Or just buy the 3 park as these are good questions and buy separate tube to fit you car. This is a priceless tool for any garage or household 👌

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys appreciated.

The problem with me is when it comes to my car I like things to be right, and it seems the older I get the worse I am 😃

Also I now depend on the dealer to do it right, a bit frustrating 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hybrid21 said:

Thanks for all the comments and advice guys appreciated.

The problem with me is when it comes to my car I like things to be right, and it seems the older I get the worse I am 😃

Also I now depend on the dealer to do it right, a bit frustrating 😕

Same here 

• Like 1

I’m also in the older age bracket and have been used to doing a lot of DIY projects over the years and agree it’s difficult to release things into the hands of other's but that what has to happen I guess.

• Like 1

When I was an apprentice motor mechanic in the 1960s, there was a problem with excessive oil consumption with Morris (BMC) 1800 engines. The company spent time and money modifying the pistons and piston rings etc. with little or no improvement. .
Then someone at the factory changed the dip stick min & max markings, which if my memory serves me right, (at my age no guarantee of that) reduced the overall capacity by 2 pints, instantly curing the problem.
Apparently the connecting rods were dipping into the oil, frothing it up and forcing it by the piston rings.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Yorkboy said:

When I was an apprentice motor mechanic in the 1960s, there was a problem with excessive oil consumption with Morris (BMC) 1800 engines. The company spent time and money modifying the pistons and piston rings etc. with little or no improvement. .
Then someone at the factory changed the dip stick min & max markings, which if my memory serves me right, (at my age no guarantee of that) reduced the overall capacity by 2 pints, instantly curing the problem.
Apparently the connecting rods were dipping into the oil, frothing it up and forcing it by the piston rings.

This is the oil level at which real harm is done and unfortunately only detailed knowledge of the engine internals can pin it down. It used to be quite easy to see the smoke from burning oil coming out of the exhaust at higher engine speeds but modern systems burn it off in the catalytic converters or at least vaporize it.

• Like 2

When I was on the tools we had one grade of oil, Castrol or Duckhams 20/50, it was very rare to require a different grade. Todays modern oils have come a long way, synthetic, anti wear, anti foam etc etc. Modern engines in general also have less oil inside them, reducing the environmental impact. We currently stock six variants of oil just for Toyota

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roadster-rav said:

This is the oil level at which real harm is done and unfortunately only detailed knowledge of the engine internals can pin it down. It used to be quite easy to see the smoke from burning oil coming out of the exhaust at higher engine speeds but modern systems burn it off in the catalytic converters or at least vaporize it.

I have seen latest Prius burning oil from exhaust blue smoke like Trabant two stroke German car 😂👍 Why was that have no idea . It was a private hire car fully loaded with passengers and luggage as was easy to see. 

On 5/18/2022 at 10:21 AM, Hybrid21 said:

It was annoying me so took some out via the dipstick, 250ml to bring it down to the full mark. More than which I imagined, but probably would have done no harm.

It seems to work out on the dipstick that 1mm=100ml.

IMG_20220523_152737996.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, kucyk said:

I think this could be related 

Yes Luke, could explain it 👍