Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen wash reserviour

Woofwoof

I’ve had my car for just over 2.5 months and covered almost 2600 miles.

was driving along on the motorway and the windscreen wash went weaker and just stoppped.

I checked that it was full when I left the dealers, is it possible it runs out so slowly. (I’m not a heavy user lol)

You can buy a good quality washer fluid and mix it and top it up. I do every week but I drive a bit more. Here the stuff I use and it’s a good one. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QX13TXB?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_AZ9SCA4EPNP131XTF0DR

When checking fluid level here it is a tip: 

Undo the cap but don’t lift up,  place a finger on top to block the small hole and then lift up the tube out and read if any fluid remains in the tube and how much.
Add to top and try to pour slowly to prevent any foam forming as it will reduce the total volume. Job done. While doing this some fluid may escape from the nozzles, that’s normal. 
Make sure you use this washer more often and top up regularly is the best preventative measure you can take. Use the rear wiper washer too. 
Regards 

• Thanks 2

It would be quicker to top the washers up and check if they’re working than write the question 🙂.  I tend to use my washers a lot so Sunday morning is check oil and windscreen washer fluid time for me.  

You can buy a concentrate screenwash from your dealer, 08808-80143, good for minus 20C, being a concentrate it is much better for the winter, those ready mixed fluids are OK in the summer but you need a better one in the winter. We also do a "one shot" concentrate (40 ML) 08808-80132 which is under £2.00

• Like 1

Oops Amazon tricked me, I use also concentrate and dilute as necessarily  for summer or winter use. Just this brand is good I meant to say. Also another that are good here : Autoglym Ultimate Screenwash, 500ml https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0011DY91G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V1E9CYSJPJTJCA3VWSE2

Holts HSCW0003A One Shot Screen Wash 125ml Concentrate Anti Glare Makes Up To 5L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07R74PZFH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_WYH9884FKPGEZ09ZBHKA

Prestone PSCW0039A Screen Wash for Cars, Concentrate makes up to 50 Litres of Screenwash, protects to -18C, 2.5 Litre, Yellow https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09TW9FWYV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_YGQWAWV7D1QC13GN01WJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 for prestone. Works great

• Like 2

I remember cars I had in the 90’s and naughties had a warning in the cluster when the washer fluid was low. And I’m not talking about premium cars - just normal rep mobiles. It looks like these have been removed from more recent cars - another cost cutting exercise I assume. Not great when a working washer is a legal requirement. 

• Like 2

Yup, two of my Nissans had a low washer fluid light but nothing recent has.

20 hours ago, Woofwoof said:

I checked that it was full when I left the dealers, is it possible it runs out so slowly. (I’m not a heavy user lol)

You can't be a heavy user if it lasted 2.5 months. I top mine up every few days. Would empty it in a week.

A Datsun Bluebird from around 1980 was the last one I saw to have a low washer warning. Low Battery electrolyte level warning as well on that one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only warning you get is that Toyota have built the draw off point for the rear screen higher than the bottom of the reservoir so that you still have a few washes of the front screen left when the back screen washer stops working. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Geoff W said:

The only warning you get is that Toyota have built the draw off point for the rear screen higher than the bottom of the reservoir so that you still have a few washes of the front screen left when the back screen washer stops working. 

They also neglected to provide my car with a non-return valve for the rear washer. It always takes a couple of seconds before the water reaches the screen 😞

3 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

They also neglected to provide my car with a non-return valve for the rear washer. It always takes a couple of seconds before the water reaches the screen 😞

The rear does not have a return valve 

7 hours ago, Geoff W said:

I was thinking that there’s probably wash left in the pipe from front to rear

The only recent-ish car I've had with a low washer fluid level warning was a Skoda Octavia, and that particular spec only had it because it was also fitted with headlamp washers. The headlamp washers were great in winter but they used up washer fluid like it was going out of fashion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My 2019 Octavia has low fluid warning and only has standard headlights and no washers 

• Like 1

Update

The washer fluid tank was indeed empty, I refilled it and all is working as should

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 9:45 AM, Geoff W said:

I found there was left for the back after the fronthad run out, presumbaly due to the length of pipe that runs across the car.

only ever buy the concentrated , your` just paying for water that you get out of the tap, and using the concentrate it goes a lot further saving your` pocket in the long run.

• Like 1

No need for fancy warning lights when running low - my wife's car has a windscreen wash auto refill system that ensures it stays topped up at all times, it's called a husband that does weekly POL checks!  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, Parts-King said:

You can buy a concentrate screenwash from your dealer, 08808-80143, good for minus 20C,...... We also do a "one shot" concentrate (40 ML) 08808-80132 which is under £2.00

My dealer gave me a big care pack, screen clean, bug remover, upholstery cleaner, leather cleaner, display cleaner , sponge and cloth and a one shot screenwash. 

In 2 years never got round to using the one shot.  I had a 5l concentrate and have yet to get through it.  I think they top up at the service too.  I still have some of the ultra screen wash left.  Upholstery and leather cleaners unused and plenty of the display cleaner and wheel and bug cleaner left too. 

I will probably get a second  one-shot with the next car. 

• Like 1

When you open the bonnet, you cannot see how much screen wash is left in the reservoir?

24 minutes ago, Spo2 said:

When you open the bonnet, you cannot see how much screen wash is left in the reservoir?

What is it that you want to say?

Don't bother trying to check how much is in there, on both cars I just top ours up so the screenwash comes to the top of the filler neck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Don't bother trying to check how much is in there, on both cars I just top ours up so the screenwash comes to the top of the filler neck.

Btw, do you know what is the capacity of the reservoir in CHR? 

From what I can see it holds 2.5 L. You can verify in your manual.