Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looking to purchase a Estima - first time buyer

LondonCarl22

I am new to the forum. I have been a Mazda Bongo owner for the last 12 years, loved the car , but it has now got to a stage were I have to replace with a newer car.

I have been researching, and have come across the Estima / Alphard/Vellfire , and since I  am a big fan of Japanese imports ( such great value and great cars ) 

We are looking for a family car, with two kids, we ca use as a run around, and then being able to take on a few road trip each year. I have just starting my research now, so would love people input and reviews of these cars. 

So far the Estima has interested me the most, looking at spending around the 10,000 mark, but nor sure if the hybrid v petrol is there much difference in fuel costs, and is it worth the more money ? The other aspect I would love to know more about is there much difference in the year types, anything I should be looking for? Is there a better year than others? So far I think 2010 fits my budget   

I love in London, can anyone recommend a good dealer to go and look at some cars? I am planning to go visit TM UK trading , anyone had any dealings with them?

Thanks for your help, would love to read any ideas and input people could give me.

• Like 1

Welcome...good choice.

Just go see as many examples as you can.

They are a great vehicle, reliable and well built.

I know nothing of the hybrids (I've had my V6 for 6 years and been totally satisfied on every level.).but I'm not sure that there is much difference between them in terms of mpg...but other's may have found differently.

I know nothing of TM I'm afraid.

Good luck with your search.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum @LondonCarl22.

I echo @RUToyota comments: They are a great vehicle, stuffed with Japanese motoring reliability. Had mine (a hybrid - 2008) 2 years now and have only had to change the auxiliary Battery. Everything else is the normal wear and tear.

I'm sure there are differences between earlier and later models, but whether those are weighted more towards the running gear rather than the looks & "cosmetics", I don't know.

@FROSTYBALLS posted a link in another chat to do with "trim levels" which you may find interesting and/or useful for getting that detail. You'll find that here:

I have had no dealings with the dealer you mentioned...but as @flash22 states, go and view as many as you can, to inform your eventual decision. 

Bonne chance!

• Like 1

Hi @LondonCarl22. I think your looking at about the right plate with that budget. I bought a 2.4 hybrid G edition 3 months ago (I'm by no means an expert) and mine came with 19" alloys plus other added extras, like electric seats, DVD front and back, body kit etc. Personally I think I should have bought the 3.0lt edition petrol, as I've read the fuel efficiency doesn't differ much. The hybrid isn't that refined. One thing that was a total pain was getting cheap insurance. So definitely factor this in to your purchase. This may or may not be an issue, I just found that the cheapo insurers I was use to using like direct line couldn't insure the vehicle. Oh actually another total pain on the imports is the Jap stereo, to get a decent Android double din fitted (with wheel controls plus DVD adaptor) will set you back £400+. Though that will vary depending on the stereo. 

• Like 1

Yep, have a look at as many as you can. I think overall condition and mileage is probably more important than year.

I recently got a 3.5 V6, which is very smooth and refined. MOG is about 25/26 on a whole tank (mostly town driving) but on a run it will do mid to high 30s.

There is a noticeable difference difference to ride quality depending what size wheels is has, so bear this in mind.

Try admiral insurance….they came back a lot cheaper than anyone else when I insured mine.

• Like 1

Hi.

If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Adrian Flux came back with the highest quote when I was shopping around… 😂

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 6:25 PM, osmanmails said:

Hi @LondonCarl22. I think your looking at about the right plate with that budget. I bought a 2.4 hybrid G edition 3 months ago (I'm by no means an expert) and mine came with 19" alloys plus other added extras, like electric seats, DVD front and back, body kit etc. Personally I think I should have bought the 3.0lt edition petrol, as I've read the fuel efficiency doesn't differ much. The hybrid isn't that refined. One thing that was a total pain was getting cheap insurance. So definitely factor this in to your purchase. This may or may not be an issue, I just found that the cheapo insurers I was use to using like direct line couldn't insure the vehicle. Oh actually another total pain on the imports is the Jap stereo, to get a decent Android double din fitted (with wheel controls plus DVD adaptor) will set you back £400+. Though that will vary depending on the stereo. 

Thanks for the reply - can I ask were you purchased your Estima from, just trying to get as much knowledge as possible about a good dealer to go to - so more information the better! Thank for for your help and input.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:38 AM, LondonCarl22 said:

Thanks for the reply - can I ask were you purchased your Estima from, just trying to get as much knowledge as possible about a good dealer to go to - so more information the better! Thank for for your help and input.

https://londoncarz.com/contact-us/

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 8:19 PM, Trg1244 said:

Adrian Flux came back with the highest quote when I was shopping around… 😂

Sorry we couldn't help with a competitive quotation.

Regards,

Dan.

• Like 1

Hah, this reminds me of when we went looking for one for my dad - For some reason there are loads of Estima dealers on the A13/A127.

I think TM UK was one we visited, as well as Autobuddies, Goodmayes Motors and Toho (Which turned out was a bit weird as the address just took us to an industrial unit and the only person there was the mechanic (?) who was preparing the cars after import for sale!)

They all seemed generally okay to talk to, but then they would as they're trying to sell you a car! Don't know what they'd be like post-sale as we didn't get one in the end; Dad didn't want to deal with the potential issues with parts and insurance.

They'd usually have recommendations of insurers who will insure imports (Be sure to ask for the list!), and often offer options like the aforementioned headunit retrofit.

Definitely think up and write down any questions you have beforehand and try not to get too distracted; I do remember the Toho mechanic kept trying to big up the larger vehicles like the Elgrand and Alphard but they were even more ridiculous (I've seen camper vans smaller than those behemoths! :laugh: )

The Estima itself is an ostentatiously luxurious land barge - The MPG is gonna be garbage no matter which one you get - Even the hybrid is just a token effort, probably just to get the CO2 rating down, as it isn't much better than the petrol ones in terms of power or economy, but it's got Lexus-levels of refinement and luxury and sooo much space. Your passengers will have the time of their lives, esp. in the more ridiculous ones like the ones with reclining 'captains seats' and electric everything :laugh:  It's a lovely place to leisurely cruise around in.

Try and look at as many as you can as there are a mindboggling number of variants, drivetrains (2.4, 2.4 hybrid, 3 v6, AWD, eAWD etc.) different trim levels between different models and even just the seating you have 7 seats, 8 seats, captains seats, swivel seats...!

I think the biggest downside the Estima has (Aside from being quite thirsty) will be the insurance as we've had quite a few members struggle to find an insurer who wasn't quoting for not only both arms and legs but also a selection of internal organs too.

I don't know why Toyota never homologated them for use here - If they made a modern one, esp. with the new more powerful hybrid drivetrains, I'm sure they'd sell pretty well and insuring them would be far easier!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I had kids to ferry around I'd choose an Estima too. 

James.👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Auris James said:

If I had kids to ferry around I'd choose an Estima too. 

James.👍

In fairness it is very much luxury at the back, especially with the captain seats, the DVD and tinted windows. Only thing the Estima lacks is the swivel seats.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, osmanmails said:

In fairness it is very much luxury at the back, especially with the captain seats, the DVD and tinted windows. Only thing the Estima lacks is the swivel seats.

I also like the old Lexus Landcruiser models like the LX470 etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 9:55 PM, Cyker said:

I do remember the Toho mechanic kept trying to big up the larger vehicles like the Elgrand and Alphard but they were even more ridiculous (I've seen camper vans smaller than those behemoths! :laugh: )

🤣 🤣 🤣 I agree!

• Like 1

For some reason there are loads of Estima dealers on the A13/A127

Yes, there does seem to be a ton of dealers to the east of London. I bought mine in Ilford.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Estima has the 2AZFE engine that has a piston design that results in oil burning of 1 litre of oil or more depending on piston wear per 1000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

They also have the balance shaft issue as they use a polymer balance shaft but apparently you can get the metal one to replace it.

Has anyone experienced balance shaft problems with there estima? 2.4 specifically 2AZ-FE.

Cant find much in the uk forums but there loads of you tube videos of them being replaced.

So if there a oil burner and balance shaft problems kinda put me off buying one.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you and love the look of the Estima, but the oil burning and the shaft problem is concerning and the fact that it slurps a lot of £10 per gallon petrol is a little concerning too!

I’ve bought my estima 2.4 hybrid  last year July it’s top of the range model with 3 back doors electric and control by remote also.only thing I’m not happy about is MPG since I bought the car it’s giving me around 7km Per litre but my friend got the same and his giving almost 13km per litter so just like to know what other people getting in terms of mpg or what km they get or what I can do to improve 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 9:53 PM, M farooq said:

so just like to know what other people getting in terms of mpg or what km they get

I'm currently getting 7.7 km/L

On 7/23/2022 at 9:53 PM, M farooq said:

or what I can do to improve

From what I have read online, it comes down to changing your driving style. For example, when moving off, do go gently and build up speed gently till you get to or near the road speed limit. Gently feather the throttle to keep the "land barge" moving so the speed does not drop too low.

In summary, it's all about "gently-gently" driving.

I used to get 7.1-7.4 km/L but that's improving as my driving style is also improving.  I'm looking forward to hitting 8 km/L... 😁

I don't know why Toyota never homologated them for use here

The main reason Toyota stopped importing the Estima (known as the Previa here) was because they couldn't compete on price with the heavily discounted Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra, etc, etc.

Now although there is a demand for new MPV vehicles, despite the popularity of SUVs, manufacturers are doing van based MPVs such as the Toyota Proace Verso, VW Multivan, etc. Using an existing Europe produced vehicle cuts production costs and spreads the risk.