Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid 1.6 vs 1.8 automatic petrol

tomashen

Hi all,

First time poster here.

Im not mechanical with cars so i need help.

Looking at Toyota Auris hybrid petrol 1.6 automatic cars with around 100K - 150K KM on clock, around 2013 to 2015 year.

Are these reliable? Can they pull uphill with 2 people in the car? or is 1.8 needed for the proper normal driving?

What else to look out for? Are the auto gearboxes good in these? Or any other option? Looking for the car to have possibly these options:

reverse sensors/camera

bluetooth

aux

usb

maps - normal or phone connected

possibly steering wheel controls(audio)

I was looking at the prius/aqua but the steering wheels are like in a truck, huge. Not a fan. and they look plain inside anyway. Not looking for a street racing or that turbo kicking on journeys, as long as the car can pick up speed moderately well. I have read online(but may be wrong) that the 1.6 has weaker gearbox and 1.8 has the better gearbox? 

Mostly city driving. once or twice every 3 months or so long 3-4h journeys.

Anything else i can provide here let me know.

Currently own Toyota Aygo 2009 Petrol 1L and Volvo S40 2010 1.6 Diesel Drive -- both manual.

1.6 is auto, all Auris hybrids are 1.8 - These 2 very different cars

the hybrids are proven for 300k+ miles with some up there at 500k, tonyhsd has 200k miles on his with just maintenance*

the standard automatics, avoid the MMT - the CVT is good if looked after and has its fluid and filter changed at 60-100k miles

• Like 1

The 1.8 is the only hybrid Auris, and the 1.6 is  petrol only.

• Like 1

Oh i had no idea, from my findings i only saw it mentioned that both 1.6 and 1.8 were hybrid petrols automatics. Thanks for the insight.

Well maintenance is expected i know that much, no escaping that with anything in life. 

How do i know if its MMT or CVT gearbox? Never know how to identify these things. And thanks for your input!

Edit: I am leaning toward the hybrid though, so the 1.8 in this case. what to look out for when buying? 

Edited by tomashen
added on

Hi, 

if you are about an auto best automatics are Toyota hybrids or full Ev. 
1.8 hybrid is far better car than 1.6 auto either mmt or cvt. For the power there is plenty but the car likes and promote smooth and efficient, relaxed style driving. If you want more just push it harder and the car responds immediately, no delays. These cars are reliable indeed as long as you do service on time. There are 3 important things that needs done  but these should not put you off buying one. First two at around 100k miles mark. Third one for peace of mind. 
1. Egr system cleaning 

2. Hybrid Battery cooling fan cleaning 

3. Installing a cat lock (plate). 

If you are getting first gen Auris Hybrid 2010-2012 you need to check rear lights clusters for water leak in boot and replace seals or use silicone. Boot should be water tight as there is the Battery. 👍 All usual checks for buying a used car and that’s pretty much all. 👍

The 1.6 petrol is fairly powerful but if you want an automatic the hybrid is the way to go.

I personally think the normal Toyota autoboxes are a bit rubbish, so either go manual or go hybrid. The main Toyota automatic had been the automated manual 'MMT' for the longest time, and it's pretty awful - Is easily confused and has been unreliable and expensive to repair as it ages. More recently they switched to using steel-belt driven CVTs and, while so far proven a lot more reliable than the MMT, is still worse than the hybrid system in almost every way other than cost.

The hybrid system has no wearing parts (e.g. clutch in MMT and the steel belt in the CVT) - It's all gears, so is much more reliable long term. It's also much more responsive and just nicer to drive.

Not sure when they switched from the MMT to CVT off the top of my head, definitely later models, but I think the year range you're looking it is more likely to be MMT. Better off just getting the hybrid and avoiding that problem completely!

Otherwise the 1.6 in manual form isn't too bad; Up against your current cars it'll be the thirstiest car you own, but it's a lot nicer to drive than the 1.33L one, which is a bit underpowered for that car IMHO.

Main thing to look for is the service history - Toyota engines' achilles heel is oil; If they get regular quality oil changes they last forever, but if oil changes get neglected they develop problems like consuming engine oil and timing chain issues, so make sure it's had all its services and none have been skipped or missed/delayed.

Other than that just look for normal car stuff - Look for rust everywhere, check under the boot, make sure everything is straight etc. If you have a friend who's into cars or is a mechanic, maybe bribe them into to coming with you :laugh: 

People used to worry about the hybrid side of things but honestly the high voltage bits are the most boringly reliable part of the car.

The only big downside of the hybrid auris right now is it's been a target for having its catalytic converter sawn off and stolen, so it would be strongly worth getting an anti-theft plate ('Catloc') fitted as part of the sale (Bonus points if it already has one - Worth looking under the car to check!)

Wow thanks for the replies guys. @Cyker by hybrid do you mean the plugin hybrid or the Auris 1.8 version hybrid ?

I read about the differences here that some are plugin hybrids and some with small batteries like the auris 1.8 for example which are self charging

And would you think that a dealership selling used auris 2013-2015 would be willing to install the catloc? ebcause i am annoyed by the fact that we have to do this but worried it would be stolen too....

If you're looking at the Auris it'll be a 'normal' hybrid - AFAIK they never made a plug-in hybrid version of the Auris. TBH unless you can charge at home, a plug-in hybrid isn't worth it anyway as they are less efficient on fuel than normal hybrids.

The catloc can be used as a haggling point - Make them get one fitted as part of the sale; If they're unwilling, look elsewhere unless they are willing to discount the car. The main dealers will usually accommodate this as they can absorb the cost and claim back from Toyota, but not sure about third-party dealers.

Oh great about catloc. Gotcha and thank you very much again. 

In terms of looking at ads, mileage for example, they are mostly around 100-150k KM / 80-90k Miles , is this good? How does the Map/Nav system work? If you connect phone via bluetooth does the map go from phone to the display? or by USB even? or neither? Or would aftermarket head unit be needed if we want a Nav?

The high mileage is common as people tend to hang onto them for longer or use them as Taxis, but like diesels they're okay for it as the engine isn't running all the time, and when it is it's under a lot less stress than a normal petrol engine, so doesn't wear as much

I tend to view high miles as a way to get a cheaper car with Toyotas, as most Toyotas are good to run into the high mileages just fine, since they actually build the engines to last! The key is those oil changes tho' - Getting a feel for whether the car has been looked after or is just an abused workhorse will also determine whether it will be reliable.

No idea about the head unit side of things I'm afraid!

• Like 2

Thanks very much on all the help! Il keep following this thread incase someone else chimes in with anything to help out.

I will go for the Auris 1.8 Hybrid Petrol then i believe. They cost around 10-13K euro and seems like a good deal for something modern ish.

14 minutes ago, flash22 said:

10-12 Auris the sat nav is not worth worrying about

cars over your side of the stream seem very expensive

a quick google come up with https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/auris/fpa/202202162612641?journey=Search

5-7 year old cars going for €20k that hurts

Haha yeah nevermind the car price.... the Insurance is even worse here 🙂

I was looking at this one specifically also. I will try tog o for as new as possible in terms of its year, but is there difference between them in 2013 and 2014 and 2015? 

Ok. And the Mk2 is the better option right? I mostly see Luna , fi that is what you mean by facelift version? 

Auris Hybrid gen 1 from 2010-2012 especially in the top spec T- Spirit is a better car than next gen Auris and even some entry level Corolla of the latest ones. Better by all means as build quality, materials, extras, soundproof, everything you can think about except infotainment, obviously the newer the cars the better screens they come with. If you are looking at Auris gen 2 best to avoid first two years of production 2013-2014 and buy 2015 onward. The first ones has some headlights issues, plus other imperfections that has been reworked in later models. If it’s me I will buy new Corolla design or above spec, if used one Auris 2015-2017 or if on a budget Auris 2010-12 top spec one, as good as Lexus inside. 👍

Oh wow, thank you for the huge insight @TonyHSD ! Much appreciated!

25 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Oh wow, thank you for the huge insight @TonyHSD ! Much appreciated!

You are welcome 👍

16 hours ago, tomashen said:

Oh great about catloc. Gotcha and thank you very much again. 

In terms of looking at ads, mileage for example, they are mostly around 100-150k KM / 80-90k Miles , is this good? How does the Map/Nav system work? If you connect phone via bluetooth does the map go from phone to the display? or by USB even? or neither? Or would aftermarket head unit be needed if we want a Nav?

I don't think any generation Auris ever supported anything like Apple Car Play or Android Auto so you're limited to the built-in Sat Nav (if there is one). The only option would be to replace the head unit.

Thanks @mcntosh. its not a huge dealbreaker. I assume if there is one it will function to some degree anyway albeit not accuractely as new roads are paved out and about. Just itll be me and my partner using the car so thats why i thought it would be handy to have it instead of hanging phones around the dash.

13 hours ago, tomashen said:

Ok. And the Mk2 is the better option right? I mostly see Luna , fi that  is what you mean by facelift version? 

Luna is a trim level. To avoid confusing matters, I'll point out that the trim levels in the UK and Ireland were different. As far as I can tell, Luna was a mid-level trim. The UK equivalent was probably Design.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Thanks for pointing that out! 

Currently checking out some of these:

You should check whether Toyota are offering the Relax warranty in Ireland. Over here, the Relax warranty covers the car up to 10 years / 100000 miles if the car is serviced annually at a dealership.

My Auris is 8 years old with 57000 miles (about 90000 km) and has need only new tyres and brakes so far. Going by the mileages of some other owners on here, that counts as barely run-in. 

• Like 1

Just checked and it seems that it is available. so up to 160K or 10 years old is covered it seems from toyota website if i understood correctly.

going on that, this would look best choice then 
https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris-auris-1-8-hybrid-sol/30579464

1 hour ago, tomashen said:

Just checked and it seems that it is available. so up to 160K or 10 years old is covered it seems from toyota website if i understood correctly.

going on that, this would look best choice then 
https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-auris-auris-1-8-hybrid-sol/30579464

This is a good car 👍