Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris Hybrid 1.6 vs 1.8 automatic petrol

tomashen

Thanks. One question. I enquired if its available still, and dealer stated the car is on a lease to a customer who got rear ended. 

Would that be a red flag? I wouldnt want a run down car by someone leasing

1 hour ago, tomashen said:

Thanks. One question. I enquired if its available still, and dealer stated the car is on a lease to a customer who got rear ended. 

Would that be a red flag? I wouldnt want a run down car by someone leasing

It comes down to condition (how has it been treated by the leasing customer) and whether it's been serviced on schedule.

I would want a proper look at the car, a good test drive and to see the service history. My main concerns would be cosmetic and suspension issues. The hybrid drivetrain is hard to damage for even the most mechanically unsympathetic driver. There's no clutch to burn and no wrong gear to be in.

Another thought: if you've never driven a car with a CVT transmission, it feels quite different to a manual or even a traditional automatic. It's very smooth but a lot of people hate it because of the engine noise as you accelerate; you don't hear the revs falling and rising as it changes up. Instead, the revs immediately rise and then fall off when you take your foot off the gas, once you're up to speed.

A lot of people compare the sound to a slipping clutch. It doesn't bother me and I like the smoothness. If you don't constantly drive like a boy racer, you'll be fine.

However, another reason for taking a good test drive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mcntosh said:

It comes down to condition (how has it been treated by the leasing customer) and whether it's been serviced on schedule.

I would want a proper look at the car, a good test drive and to see the service history. My main concerns would be cosmetic and suspension issues. The hybrid drivetrain is hard to damage for even the most mechanically unsympathetic driver. There's no clutch to burn and no wrong gear to be in.

Another thought: if you've never driven a car with a CVT transmission, it feels quite different to a manual or even a traditional automatic. It's very smooth but a lot of people hate it because of the engine noise as you accelerate; you don't hear the revs falling and rising as it changes up. Instead, the revs immediately rise and then fall off when you take your foot off the gas, once you're up to speed.

A lot of people compare the sound to a slipping clutch. It doesn't bother me and I like the smoothness. If you don't constantly drive like a boy racer, you'll be fine.

However, another reason for taking a good test drive.

Wow, finally someone explained this automatic in very good terms. Thank you. I had read many complaints about the automatic being a "problem" in these but i had my doubts.... Now i understand what they complained about, thank you. 

So to summarise, if this car is in good condition, no rattling, no burning, or fumes out of exhaust etc, tires in good conditions, interior/exterior lights/electrics working, it should be good to go? 

Just seems weird they gave it as a lease. I like this specific one as it has nice wheels on it too so it has that kick in the looks department.

But will definetly test drive before buying.

2 hours ago, tomashen said:

Wow, finally someone explained this automatic in very good terms. Thank you. I had read many complaints about the automatic being a "problem" in these but i had my doubts.... Now i understand what they complained about, thank you. 

So to summarise, if this car is in good condition, no rattling, no burning, or fumes out of exhaust etc, tires in good conditions, interior/exterior lights/electrics working, it should be good to go? 

Just seems weird they gave it as a lease. I like this specific one as it has nice wheels on it too so it has that kick in the looks department.

But will definetly test drive before buying.

Any second-hand car is a risk but I've been happy with mine (bought at 5 years old / 36K miles and now on similar miles to the one you're looking at). 

It's worth checking if the tyres / brakes have been done. At this age, they might be due a refresh if they haven't. Check the NCT (Irish equivalent of MOT for our UK readers) if that's possible to see if anything's been flagged up as an advisory.

It's a Toyota Approved Used as well, which should mean that it's in good condition. In the UK, Approved Used Toyotas came with a 12 month warranty even before the Relax warranty was introduced.

• Like 2

Good advice  from Tom , cheers for that 👍

One thing though, in UK approved used from Toyota dealer not always a good car. We had one from independent small garage and still have it and one the same car from well known dealer approved and full of issues. When we made the deal they promised to fix all and on collection we discovered they had not touched the car at all. I never trust any dealer. Best to look the car in person, test drive for at least 20min and go on motorway to get the car up to a speed of 60mph or more and listen for any noises or vibrations. 👍 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

One thing though, in UK approved used from Toyota dealer not always a good car. We had one from independent small garage and still have it and one the same car from well known dealer approved and full of issues. When we made the deal they promised to fix all and on collection we discovered they had not touched the car at all. I never trust any dealer. Best to look the car in person, test drive for at least 20min and go on motorway to get the car up to a speed of 60mph or more and listen for any noises or vibrations. 👍 

Thank you both @mcntosh! Yeah ive always been skeptical of dealers too but the missus prefers to go with dealer for whatever reasons, i guess the warranties can come in handy but from my experience, many people i know, had to fight tooth and nail to have the cars looked at even though warranty was well in order... 

Thanks for the advice of taking it out on motorway would have not even thought that! 

I will try focus on 2015 models so, a little extra money but hopefuly it should last that little extra more too.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

One thing though, in UK approved used from Toyota dealer not always a good car. 

Sadly, Tony has a point here. Approved Used should be a good indicator of quality. However, you can't always trust it, which defeats the whole purpose of it. This isn't only a problem with Toyota.

As he says, there's no substitute for taking the car for a test drive. And treat anything a dealer says/promises with scepticism. Caveat emptor.

• Like 3

Treat cars sales with contempt, if it's not in writing then it didn't happen and remember most will sell their own mother for the commission

the e-CVT in the hybrid doesn't use a push belt like a conventional CVT does, so it eliminates the weak spot

Hybrid is a very different driving style, and you will have to use to the odd sounds - and pedestrian jumping out in front of you when in EV mode

if it's your first time in an auto, your left leg/foot does nothing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, flash22 said:

if it's your first time in an auto, your left leg/foot does nothing

Just be careful your left foot isn’t like mine, which decided it was on brake duty. Cue the car kangarooing around the car rental place. Well, we were in Australia after all…

Once my foot remembered its place, I had a 3 week test-drive of an Auris and decided I could live quite easily with a CVT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, mcntosh said:

Just be careful your left foot isn’t like mine, which decided it was on brake duty. Cue the car kangarooing around the car rental place. Well, we were in Australia after all…

Once my foot remembered its place, I had a 3 week test-drive of an Auris and decided I could live quite easily with a CVT.

LMAO haha. i have driven auto before. So no problem there ahahaha. Guys, i appreciate all the help here 100% and will keep everything in mind when checking out these monster buckets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcntosh said:

Haha I had a similar thing, esp. when having to suddenly brake (e.g. for sudden suicidal pedestrian) my left foot would instinctively go for the clutch.... and smack hard into the dead pedal instead :laugh: 

Didn't do my ankle any favours, but after a year of ownership I think I've unlearned that muscle memory now! (Now I'm worried if I can still drive a manual car well! :unsure: )

• Haha 3

The first time I went out on a test drive, I nearly put the salesman through the windscreen. The brakes are sharp compared to my 25 year old Volvo 940 auto with 206,000 miles. All ok as wearing seatbelts and more gentle on the brakes.

Had my 2015 Auris Hybrid TS for 2 years now. No regrets. A good no fuss A to B car.  Now on 40k miles. I bought from a main dealer at 5 years old and 28k miles. Bought as get 12 months warranty, which I used as 6 months later AC stopped working as Condenser rad leaking in bottom right corner. Fixed under warranty thankfully, but rad on back order for 2 months. Also had a new 12 volt Battery for £130 fitted as not used the car much during lockdown. Look at tyres as a year after buying fitted 4 new ones as old Continental outer edge cracking and wearing down, so replaced them at 3.5mm. Went with Goodyear Efficient grip Performance 2. Thanks Tony. A good tyre. Buy one from Northern Ireland or the mainland.

Toyota2.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm that one looks like an estate version? I saw these a bit shorter versions too which is what i hope to grab. Thank you for the input though. Do ytou think the Rad was your fault or factory or dealer/previous owner?

16 minutes ago, tomashen said:

Hmm that one looks like an estate version? I saw these a bit shorter versions too which is what i hope to grab. Thank you for the input though. Do ytou think the Rad was your fault or factory or dealer/previous owner?

It's my car. It is an estate. Like big cars, so estate more practical for me. I suspect may be a common issue as another owner had the same leak location on her Auris condenser. Could just be age related though and unfortunate at that age/mileage. Dealer agreed no stone damage in the area and so replaced it under warranty. Could always shine torch through Grille and see if any damp/stains spots on AC rad. 

• Like 2

Gotcha. Great to know this too. I like estates too but it will be me and my partner sharing the car and for her it would be too big heh.

• Like 1

If you have deep pockets, find a Lexus CT200h same car as the Auris/Corolla just a lot more posh with more toys

• Like 2

For the Lexus 👍

if you really interested try to find one which is mid spec or above as base ones are too basic. Drive is the same, consumption similar, you get better materials but also less space inside including the boot. Rear seats are little bit cramped and usually ct200h are a bit too dark because of the large c pillars and lower roof line. The car seats lower to the ground than Auris/ Corolla and many used examples has doors badly scratched underneath edge as people tend to open them against higher kerbs. Cat plate also required as these gets targeted by thieves too.