Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Went over a pot hole, now the brakes make pumping sound when braking.

jay_1

Hello,

Few months back i went over a big pot hole and that day my brakes were not stop in the distance they normally do. Plus it was making a pumping sound when braking.

2 weeks later the issue of the brake sound and braking distance stopped. I thought nothing of it as i thought it could me air on line. 

But now it only make that pumping noise when you have leg on brake and start the car only.

So what i would like to know from everyone does your car make a pumping brake noise when you start  your car sometimes?

Regards

Jay 

45 minutes ago, jay_1 said:

So what i would like to know from everyone does your car make a pumping brake noise when you start  your car sometimes?

NO! I suggest you get someone who knows what they're doing to have a look at it!

11 hours ago, jay_1 said:

Hello,

Few months back i went over a big pot hole and that day my brakes were not stop in the distance they normally do. Plus it was making a pumping sound when braking.

2 weeks later the issue of the brake sound and braking distance stopped. I thought nothing of it as i thought it could me air on line. 

But now it only make that pumping noise when you have leg on brake and start the car only.

Regards

Jay 

Hi Jay, 

your car is hybrid right? If yes that means you have an electric brake booster pump in addition to the electronic abs. Pumping noises are typical for Toyota hybrids, also when open the drivers door or when close it and lock the car there are also noises because the system pressures and depressurises itself.  When going over road potholes, bumps or cracks and applying the brakes the abs can activate and trigger these strange pump noises, they can come up also as a result of activation of the car anti skid control but if this is the case there will be warning lights on the dash that will flash . If you have yellow and red brake warning lights constantly on the dashboard then do not drive the car and call your nearest dealer. If no lights are present and the brakes work fine you can simply double check your brake fluid level and continue to use your car. Pay attention when you hear these noises and what unusual thing is happening. 

All Toyota hybrids for some reason when going over rough road and applying brakes if abs activates then next one or two slow downs the brakes are somehow weaker then before and then after they come back to normal.  Pumping noises are present from time to time as normal occurrence. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My C-HR goes into ABS mode when I’m going downhill and I brake for a speed hump - especially if the road is uneven. Quite normal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 9:46 AM, TonyHSD said:

Hi Jay, 

your car is hybrid right? If yes that means you have an electric brake booster pump in addition to the electronic abs. Pumping noises are typical for Toyota hybrids, also when open the drivers door or when close it and lock the car there are also noises because the system pressures and depressurises itself.  When going over road potholes, bumps or cracks and applying the brakes the abs can activate and trigger these strange pump noises, they can come up also as a result of activation of the car anti skid control but if this is the case there will be warning lights on the dash that will flash . If you have yellow and red brake warning lights constantly on the dashboard then do not drive the car and call your nearest dealer. If no lights are present and the brakes work fine you can simply double check your brake fluid level and continue to use your car. Pay attention when you hear these noises and what unusual thing is happening. 

All Toyota hybrids for some reason when going over rough road and applying brakes if abs activates then next one or two slow downs the brakes are somehow weaker then before and then after they come back to normal.  Pumping noises are present from time to time as normal occurrence. 👍

Hi,

This is what I thought and what you said is what is happenin. 

Yes the car is hybrid and yes brakes went week after pot hole for a few days but then now it's normal.  Just pumping noise when start car sometimes. No lights on dash and brake fluid is fine. I checked all of this long time ago. 

I will be booking with intermediate service  as it's due with Toyota. I am guessing of they notice something during service then they will tell me. I be honest I dont like the braking on these hybrid cars compared to petrol.

• Thanks 1

They all make a pumping noise after starting.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:11 PM, anchorman said:

They all make a pumping noise after starting.  

yes but mine started doing that after going over a pot hole for few days while braking during normal driving 

3 hours ago, jayla said:

yes but mine started doing that after going over a pot hole for few days while braking during normal driving 

You went down a big pot hole as well?   Maybe you only noticed it after that.  Mine has done it from new and one member made it the subject of a thread if you flick back a few.   He was proper upset about it.  Now if you’ve got something more than that and it really has made your brakes worse, don’t ask about it on a forum, get it to a dealer before you hurt somebody.   

On 5/31/2022 at 9:24 PM, jayla said:

Have you fixed your car or still behave the same. 
You will need to take brake pads and callipers off the car, thoroughly clean with soft wire brush and brake cleaner spray, most importantly to remove slider pins, clean , inspect and replace if necessary, lubricate with silicone grease and put back all together, can do brake fluid change too. If your car does these noises means your electronic brake booster pump works continuously to provide braking power to the rear wheels. If you have a stuck slider pins what you had experienced can happen as a result. Best to check those pins and get them serviced . 👍

• 5 weeks later...

i taken to Toyota for service and they told me this is all normal. As I told them to check it when it went in for service. the pumping noise is gone so less aswell. Plus it never does it when I brake like it did when I went over the pot hole.

Any thanks for the advice given.

Sounds like it appliing more force to one wheel than the other thats what happens in icy conditions to stop you skidding its normal for cars in winter for brake to be applied to one wheel thats in traction to let the other catch up ie regain traction.