Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front parking sensors active while the car is in P

hermesr

Dear fellow forum members,

I've been enjoying my new Corolla Trek for a few days now. One thing I find rather odd though is that the front parking sensors seem to be on even after I switch to P. This means constant high pitch noise until I switch the car off, as well as when I start it till I reverse.

The dealer tells me this is normal, and that I van use the off switch. While I can indeed, it feels very counterintuitive to not disactivate front sensors once parked.

Would anyone be able to confirm if that's the normal behaviour or if perhaps somebody messed the wiring?

Many thanks!

Seems odd but it might just be a 'Toyotaism'

10 hours ago, hermesr said:

Dear fellow forum members,

I've been enjoying my new Corolla Trek for a few days now. One thing I find rather odd though is that the front parking sensors seem to be on even after I switch to P. This means constant high pitch noise until I switch the car off, as well as when I start it till I reverse.

The dealer tells me this is normal, and that I van use the off switch. While I can indeed, it feels very counterintuitive to not disactivate front sensors once parked.

Would anyone be able to confirm if that's the normal behaviour or if perhaps somebody messed the wiring?

Many thanks!

Just clarifying you say "Switch to P" do you mean Shift to P e.g. moving gear shit to P position or are you pressing the parking brake or hold button?

• Haha 1

I think it's normal; My Yaris ones are always on - If I'm stationary or parked up and e.g. someone walks close to front or back of the car, the proximity alarms start beeping like when you're parking.

However, if the obstruction isn't moving and you're also stationary, it fades out after a few seconds, although still displays where the obstruction is on the MFD. It also shows "Press OK to temporarily mute"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

Just clarifying you say "Switch to P" do you mean Shift to P e.g. moving gear **** to P position or are you pressing the parking brake or hold button?

Yes, that's what I mean - putting the gear shift into P, before switching the car off. Once the car is in P, rear sensors are off. But the front ones are active. Yet the car is not moving, so what is the point of the constant beeping?

42 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think it's normal; My Yaris ones are always on - If I'm stationary or parked up and e.g. someone walks close to front or back of the car, the proximity alarms start beeping like when you're parking.

However, if the obstruction isn't moving and you're also stationary, it fades out after a few seconds, although still displays where the obstruction is on the MFD. It also shows "Press OK to temporarily mute"

Perhaps that's a different system/set up. On mine, there is no visual display indicating proximity. Only audiable signal. It does not fade away. Once I park up to the wall, and shift to P, there is the constant high pitch beep. There is button that I can press, which turns ALL sensors off. Sensors are on again upon next start.

15 minutes ago, hermesr said:

Perhaps that's a different system/set up. On mine, there is no visual display indicating proximity. Only audiable signal. It does not fade away. Once I park up to the wall, and shift to P, there is the constant high pitch beep. There is button that I can press, which turns ALL sensors off. Sensors are on again upon next start.

Huh, that's weird... were your sensors factory-fitted or after-market?

I assumed the factory ones were integrated into the system like mine are... bit of an oversight if they aren't... :confused1: 

1 hour ago, Devon Aygo said:

Just clarifying you say "Switch to P" do you mean Shift to P e.g. moving gear shit to P position or are you pressing the parking brake or hold button?

Might want to edit that :laugh: 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Huh, that's weird... were your sensors factory-fitted or after-market?

I assumed the factory ones were integrated into the system like mine are... bit of an oversight if they aren't... :confused1: 

Might want to edit that :laugh: 

Well, in the configurator I could not imagine they would be anything else but factory fitted. I only realised that was not the case when I saw the first pictures of thee car once it was with the dealer - no sign of either front or rear sensors. Now I am afraid these are just some cheap universal sensors that are not even linked to the car's computer! Fitted by the dealer before the cat was handed over to me.

Anyone else with a Trek and similar parking sensor woes? My car was configured and bought in Italy, MY2022.

I just configured a Trek on both the UK and Italian sites. Looking at the rotating picture thing the one from the UK clearly has the little circles on the body indicating integrated parking sensors. The one from Italy clearly does not. For some reason it seems in Italy they don't provide the integrated one. Very strange IMO.

Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

• Like 1

Hmm, in the comparator for Excel-spec Yaris vs Excel-spec Corolla estate, the Corolla does show "front and rear parking sensors", but the Yaris shows "'Intelligent' front and rear sensors with clearance sonar and automatic braking" so maybe they are factory-fitted but the Corolla just has older style semi-independent sensors...? :confused1:

Does anyone here have a Corolla with factory-fitted front and rear parking sensors? How do they operate?

If I remember correctly, there are two types of parking sensors for the Corolla: those that are part of the Simple Intelligent Parking Assist system (factory installed, cannot be ordered as an extra but has to be included with the trim) and basic parking sensors (available to order as an extra, can also be installed later by the dealer). 

• Like 1

I have a Corolla Design which has factory fitted parking sensors and i don't have this issue. When i put the gear shift into P the beeping goes off and the visual display disappears.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bunnyrabbit03 said:

If I remember correctly, there are two types of parking sensors for the Corolla: those that are part of the Simple Intelligent Parking Assist system (factory installed, cannot be ordered as an extra but has to be included with the trim) and basic parking sensors (available to order as an extra, can also be installed later by the dealer). 

This may be it. However, if I remember correctly, the Simple Intelligent Parking Assist was not available on Trek, just on Style, but I was not tipped there would be such a difference in tech.

Nevertheless, this still does not explain the difference in "intelligence" between rear (correctly turned off once in P) and front simple sensors, which do not turn off. Why would they be wired differently? I can't imagine a different use case between front/rear sensors... Nor does it explain the marketing "intelligence" that allowed fitting a 2022 Corolla with 1990s tech.

Argh...

6 hours ago, dee123456 said:

I have a Corolla Design which has factory fitted parking sensors and i don't have this issue. When i put the gear shift into P the beeping goes off and the visual display disappears.

As it should be. But as mine have no visual feedback, I guess I got a different setup.

50 minutes ago, hermesr said:

This may be it. However, if I remember correctly, the Simple Intelligent Parking Assist was not available on Trek, just on Style, but I was not tipped there would be such a difference in tech.

Nevertheless, this still does not explain the difference in "intelligence" between rear (correctly turned off once in P) and front simple sensors, which do not turn off. Why would they be wired differently? I can't imagine a different use case between front/rear sensors... Nor does it explain the marketing "intelligence" that allowed fitting a 2022 Corolla with 1990s tech.

Argh...

Your car has been fitted with accessory parking sensors these do not integrate into the displays in any way nor are they the intelligent type like factory integrated sensors, the difference in operation is the rears are triggered in by the reverse light signal no reverse light no sensor operation.

i would have to check the trigger for front sensors.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dee123456 said:

Same with my Excel. The display I have is on the dash and shows three sets of concentric bars drawn around the front and rear sides of the vehicle that indicate proximity.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

Same with my Excel. The display I have is on the dash and shows three sets of concentric bars drawn around the front and rear sides of the vehicle that indicate proximity.

That's exactly what mine is like.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndrueC said:

1 hour ago, dee123456 said:

That's exactly what mine is like.

Thanks to both of you. Clearly a different config on mine then. I thought I'd get the same, poor assumption that was..

• Like 1

Ack that sucks; It sounds like the situation I almost had - I wanted to get a Design-spec car originally but that didn't have the all-around parking sensors as an option *at all*, but after nagging the dealer they said they could be fitted after all; More prodding revealed these would just be normal after-market beepy sensors and not the system integrated ones which you could only get on the Dynamic+City Pack addon or Excel specs.

(That and the fact I really wanted a HUD is what made me just go all-in on an Excel-spec +Tech pack car! Except you can't have an Excel-spec car in Blue! Why? Who knows!)

You can probably buy the system integrated sensors as parts from the dealer and get them installed; Another forum member was able to retrofit them onto his lower-spec Mk4 Yaris. However it was very expensive - I think the parts cost more than the add-on would have been from the factory! And the sensors need to be calibrated so you need access to Toyota Techstream...

My Corolla when i'm parking and approach a wall, etc. the beeping alarms.  When placed into P it stops - and does not go off when anyone walks in front.

On 5/20/2022 at 9:26 PM, Cyker said:

Ack that sucks; It sounds like the situation I almost had - I wanted to get a Design-spec car originally but that didn't have the all-around parking sensors as an option *at all*, but after nagging the dealer they said they could be fitted after all; More prodding revealed these would just be normal after-market beepy sensors and not the system integrated ones which you could only get on the Dynamic+City Pack addon or Excel specs.

(That and the fact I really wanted a HUD is what made me just go all-in on an Excel-spec +Tech pack car! Except you can't have an Excel-spec car in Blue! Why? Who knows!)

You can probably buy the system integrated sensors as parts from the dealer and get them installed; Another forum member was able to retrofit them onto his lower-spec Mk4 Yaris. However it was very expensive - I think the parts cost more than the add-on would have been from the factory! And the sensors need to be calibrated so you need access to Toyota Techstream...

My22 Yaris Design can have factory sensors.

On the UK Trek the parking sensors are slightly different as they don’t include the surround parking sensors that are wheel arches, probably owing to the extra trim. That may mean they are basic rather than intelligent sensors.

1 hour ago, Kental said:

My22 Yaris Design can have factory sensors.

Ah, so you can! They must have shuffled some stuff into the Design when they dropped the Dynamic spec.

It definitely wasn't the case when I was looking to get mine! 

5 hours ago, Tech429 said:

My Corolla when i'm parking and approach a wall, etc. the beeping alarms.  When placed into P it stops - and does not go off when anyone walks in front.

Are these "normal" sensors or "intelligent", I.e. do you get any visual feedback on the display or just sound beeps?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

Ah, so you can! They must have shuffled some stuff into the Design when they dropped the Dynamic spec.

It definitely wasn't the case when I was looking to get mine! 

Ours was a stock Design, but if sensors were available without the 17” rims and sports suspension we may have factory ordered. I think it is listening to customers rather than replacement for Dynamic as the GR Sport replaced that.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links