Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis D4d MPG Computer

Tom McDowell

Hi Guys,

When leaving for work my computer read out showed 123 miles of fuel left in the tank.

When I returned from work my Trip reading showed I drove 27.1 miles but my remaining fuel reading was down by 57 miles.

Can anyone explain this please.

Tom

You are relying too much on your instruments Tom.

The calculation has regards to your driving style over the last x miles, which will itself have regard to traffic levels, which will have regard to the prevailing local terrain and weather conditions.

Never let the fuel drop below one quarter of a tank and disregard miles left in the tank.

Welcome to the Club by the way.

20 hours ago, john p williams said:

You are relying too much on your instruments Tom.

The calculation has regards to your driving style over the last x miles, which will itself have regard to traffic levels, which will have regard to the prevailing local terrain and weather conditions.

Never let the fuel drop below one quarter of a tank and disregard miles left in the tank.

Welcome to the Club by the way.

Why is it bad to not let fuel go below 1/4 of a tank I always fill my car up and only fill up again when light comes on or she nearly out .

17 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

Why is it bad to not let fuel go below 1/4 of a tank I always fill my car up and only fill up again when light comes on or she nearly out .

I never said it was bad Joe.

I have a disciplined approach to avoid the sorts of problems other people experience.

9 hours ago, john p williams said:

I never said it was bad Joe.

I have a disciplined approach to avoid the sorts of problems other people experience.

o im a guy runs cars right out then fills them right up to the top way covid is lest time touching pumps and in stores the better 

10 hours ago, 2009joe said:

13 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

o im a guy runs cars right out then fills them right up to the top way covid is lest time touching pumps and in stores the better 

I read somewhere than the fuel in your tank is used to cool something, and therefore not a good idea to let it run low… so I googled it.  It seems it's used to cool the fuel pump, which is often located in the tank.  Link (Australian tho I think)…

https://www.autoguru.com.au/car-advice/articles/is-it-bad-to-run-your-vehicle-when-its-low-on-fuel

Regarding having to go into stores to pay for fuel - not sure what fuel stations you have around you but around me there are plenty Shell/BP etc and they have apps which you can pay using your phone, ie no need to go in, or the supermarket ones which use pay at pump.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, 2009joe said:

each to their own Joe.

• Like 1

I tended to refuel at a quarter tank purely because of paranoia; It's one of the reason I'm so averse to current EVs (The maximum range of most of them isn't much better than the quarter-tank range of all the cars I've owned apart from the Fiesta :laugh: )

As for the OP, the EV people call their range meters the GOM - Guess-o-meter - It's just the car guessing how much range you have so don't rely on it as it's not very accurate, esp. if you have wildly changing driving styles like me! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cyker said:

I tended to refuel at a quarter tank purely because of paranoia; It's one of the reason I'm so averse to current EVs (The maximum range of most of them isn't much better than the quarter-tank range of all the cars I've owned apart from the Fiesta :laugh: )

As for the OP, the EV people call their range meters the GOM - Guess-o-meter - It's just the car guessing how much range you have so don't rely on it as it's not very accurate, esp. if you have wildly changing driving styles like me! 

id be more paranoid of the ev cars running out than the petrol and diesel cars as you are restricted where to go in ev cars and have to plan every distance you go encase you run out tbh think id rather have diesel cars at this time 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links