Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Roadside Assistance - no more membership cards

Peterd23

Renewed my roadside assistance in April this year and despite the email confirming that I would receive new membership cards within 10 to 14 days I received nothing. Similar thing to last year when I changed my car and promised cards with new date never materialised. Contacted roadside assistance on the online form and a week later received this update:

"We are no longer sending out Roadside Assistance cards for Toyota Roadside Assistance policies in an effort to reduce our environmental impact and carbon footprint. In a breakdown situation we will not ask to see proof of membership on a valid Roadside Assistance card."

Thought this might just be useful to someone else expecting them.

• Thanks 1

Yes I renewed mine and received the letter yesterday with this information on it.

I always prefer to have a card 😞

The writing was on the wall for the card; The last card I have is just a cheap flimsy piece of the thinnest card. In fact it's more like thick paper than card!

I just hope the service doesn't decline in a similar fashion - I just read the renewal documents and I'm a bit concerned about some of the clauses, like they won't come out for the same problem if it happens again within a month - What, so if you have 2 punctures in a month they won't rescue you the second time? That just doesn't seem right...!

• Like 1

I think you all may be missing the point here.

This sounds like so many things that are now "new and improved" which of course means that they are easier to use, faster service, cheaper and better in all ways.

And saves the planet ,win win all round when you look at it properly.🤣

• Like 1

IMO the best roadside assistance is the one that comes with my bank account.  No call outs limits, you are the one covered, not the car. It means you can be driving any car (not commercial) or even not driving, just being a passenger, saying in a friend's or family member's car, you can call for assistance.  Plus the other covers, up to 6 mobile phones and travel insurance.  It worth the £13/month (never increased for the past 12 years) for all of that.

On 5/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

This sounds like so many things that are now "new and improved" which of course means that they are easier cheaper to administersave work, and are cheaper and better in all ways for us

And saves the planet ,win win all round when you look at it properly.🤣

New and improved invariably means cheaper for us but you will pay more. 

31 minutes ago, Smani said:

IMO the best roadside assistance is the one that comes with my bank account. 

Which doesn't suit everyone.

• Like 1

I have AA cover. Pricey, but invaluable.

At one stage I had breakdown cover with my bank account, with my car insurance, free cover with a new car I had bought, and the AA cover.

I've since trimmed it down and have a family policy which covers my son, daughter, wife, and myself. We can be in any car, and are still covered.

3 hours ago, Smani said:

IMO the best roadside assistance is the one that comes with my bank account.  No call outs limits, you are the one covered, not the car. It means you can be driving any car (not commercial) or even not driving, just being a passenger, saying in a friend's or family member's car, you can call for assistance.  Plus the other covers, up to 6 mobile phones and travel insurance.  It worth the £13/month (never increased for the past 12 years) for all of that.

That’s works out twice as much as my Start Rescue, and there is mine and the wife’s car on that.

22 hours ago, Catlover said:

That’s works out twice as much as my Start Rescue, and there is mine and the wife’s car on that.

Well, if considering only the roadside assistance, I agree it looks expensive even with no callout limit. However, after having 1 mobile phone stolen, 2 other broken down,  medical expenses abroad reimbursed after an accident with my child, that became very valuable.

On 5/28/2022 at 6:50 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Which doesn't suit everyone.

As the solely road assistance doesn't for me.  A matter of choice and suitability, as I mentioned: sharing my onw opinion, which can give people options to consider if suitable or not.