Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Setting time to charge Plug in

TogsTaxi

Considering a good offer on a Rav4 Dynamic Premium plug I'm.

I have cheap rate elec from 0030 to 0430 and therefore is it possible to set the Rav4 to charge only during those times?

yes, I use the car's programming system to start charging at 02.30 as that's when my cheap rate starts

but I haven't figured out how to stop it when the cheap rate finishes at 07.30, but that doesn't matter for me as I want it fully charged even if goes into higher rate.

Thanks TonyFR - how are you charging.  I have a 7kW pod point and hopefully it would be full in 4 hours?

25 minutes ago, TogsTaxi said:

Considering a good offer on a Rav4 Dynamic Premium plug I'm.

I have cheap rate elec from 0030 to 0430 and therefore is it possible to set the Rav4 to charge only during those times?

Also, some of the smart chargers will allow you to set that too. I'm personally using Hypervolt and I've set the schedule in the charger. Tried the schedule in the Toyota app but it's a pain to use it as it doesn't remember schedules and you have to do it everyday LOL. Never tried the schedule in the car though.

7kW (car can take 6.6kW max) will charge the car from 0 to full in 2h30m-2h40m. The real amount of kW charged during the session is between 14-15kW.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TogsTaxi said:

Thanks TonyFR - how are you charging.  I have a 7kW pod point and hopefully it would be full in 4 hours?

That's right, it will just stop charging once full, so with a 7kw start at 00:30 and it'll finish by 03:00

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kucyk said:

Also, some of the smart chargers will allow you to set that too. I'm personally using Hypervolt and I've set the schedule in the charger. Tried the schedule in the Toyota app but it's a pain to use it as it doesn't remember schedules and you have to do it everyday LOL. Never tried the schedule in the car though.

7kW (car can take 6.6kW max) will charge the car from 0 to full in 2h30m-2h40m. The real amount of kW charged during the session is between 14-15kW.

You can set it to repeat if you set the schedule in the car MID rather than the app. But, I too have the HV and prefer to use that to control the schedule.

• Like 2

I wondered how car chargers and regular domestic electricity supply balanced out.  For example our house can’t have two electric showers at once without overloading the supply, so surely it can’t run shower and a car charger drawing a similar kWh at the one time?

Googling it, it seems some car chargers (maybe all?) are smart enough to detect whether the load is too much and switches the car charger off (or maybe reduced it’s current?) for the duration of that shower, or that oven/microwave being on, or hair dryer, etc.

I'm sure it won’t be a big deal for most people in the middle of the night but might be worth bearing in mind if you’re trying to charge the car quickly.

15 minutes ago, alan333 said:

I wondered how car chargers and regular domestic electricity supply balanced out.  For example our house can’t have two electric showers at once without overloading the supply, so surely it can’t run shower and a car charger drawing a similar kWh at the one time?

Googling it, it seems some car chargers (maybe all?) are smart enough to detect whether the load is too much and switches the car charger off (or maybe reduced it’s current?) for the duration of that shower, or that oven/microwave being on, or hair dryer, etc.

I'm sure it won’t be a big deal for most people in the middle of the night but might be worth bearing in mind if you’re trying to charge the car quickly.

In their survey, the installers work out your total consumption possible in your home and decide if you have enough 'headroom' to run everything and charge the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan333 said:

Electric showers have an insanely high power requirement, typically requiring a 40A fuse to themselves, so if you have 2 of them, and it's not uncommon to have 60A main supply in older houses, I can see where you run into a problem. That being said, I think you can apply to your DNO to get upgraded to 100A supply for free in most cases, as long as the local supply cabling can tolerate it.

A 7.2kw wall charger needs a 32A fuse, tho many can be set up to draw 16A only, if that is preferred due to individual wiring/load management. If the installer is doing things by the book, they are supposed to apply to your DNO to ensure cabling ok, and sign off that your house can tolerate the overall load (as @Lawnmowerman says). 

You're right however that most quality models incorporate some form of load management, but this also can be different. Eg I think the hive charger that many of us got free from Toyota via British Gas will simply switch itself off if detects overall load at a designated level (set as part of the install), whereas my other wallbox (ohme home pro) will ramp itself down, not off, to dynamically balance the load (again, based on a preset level during install) 

• Like 1