Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 oil change

Hardy888

Does anyone else do their own oil changes? I haven't done it for a long time myself but want to do changes myself outside the 10k mile servicing. How much oil do you need to buy to fill it up? Any opinions on what oil to buy?

I used to service my GT86 but hadn't planned on doing my Corolla yet, as it's only just over a year old.

Oil is quite a personal thing. Some people will want come round your house and stab you for using a cheap brand.

I used to use Petronas, but when the price kept going up I switched to Mannol. The car didn't blow up so I kept using it.

There is no requirement to do oil changes between services. The grade is 0W 16, it takes 3.9 Litres, if you are going to buy your own, stick to known brands to be safe. Why do you need an additional oil change? 

• Like 4

I want additional oil change between services because the car care nut convinced me it's a good idea.

Also I want something in my life that makes me feel more manly.

2 minutes ago, Hardy888 said:

I want additional oil change between services because the car care nut convinced me it's a good idea.

Also I want something in my life that makes me feel more manly.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

There is really no need, modern oils can handle 10K intervals with ease. If you want something to make you feel manly, buy a Bullworker (remember them?) 😭

I'm definitely not manly enough for a Bullworker. A shakeweight is more my thing. Thanks for the info about the oil!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How many miles do you travel within 12 months period ?

Really there is no need to change oil more often than 10k miles unless you travel exclusively in short town trips and you clock more than 6k miles but less than 10k miles per year or you keep the car in ready mode like me for many hours for heating purposes. In any other situations you will be fine with the recommendation by Toyota. I also use Petronas Syntium 0w20 in my Auris and I do 10k miles servicing but this is happening every 3 months or sooner. I am also doing an engine flush every second oil change and highly recommend this to everyone. I skipped to flush last two times and now I am having some issues which I am working on but this can’t say for now did happened as a result of dirty oil, high mileage or E10 fuel. Once I have done everything and make my thoughts I will share my experience. You can follow up here: 

Mannol products I tried brake cleaner in which has acetone and was not shown on label or seller description. I had damage paint on brake callipers and surroundings on my scooter, what a mistake. Since then never buy anything with this brand, but that’s just me. 👍

i don't think you can do your own oil change when the car is under warranty anyhow as that could Well break the terms and conditions 

You can do anything you want to your own car, but whatever you do is down to you, it's not Toyota's responsibility 

13 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

You can do anything you want to your own car, but whatever you do is down to you, it's not Toyota's responsibility 

i'm talking about the warranty, if you do that type of service would invalidate the warranty 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The manufacturer cannot void a warranty because you do an oil change, what they can do is void the warranty if what you did was a poor job and resulted in damage caused by doing something wrong. Lets say you put a Chinese oil filter on it and recycled oil in the engine (plenty of companies sell that type of shizzle) then that is not Toyota's fault, and then they could void a claim if they so desired. Nobody will be interested in voiding a warranty by fitting a quality and oil filter change, fleet companies do this all the time

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

The manufacturer cannot void a warranty because you do an oil change, what they can do is void the warranty if what you did was a poor job and resulted in damage caused by doing something wrong. Lets say you put a Chinese oil filter on it and recycled oil in the engine (plenty of companies sell that type of shizzle) then that is not Toyota's fault, and then they could void a claim if they so desired. Nobody will be interested in voiding a warranty by fitting a quality and oil filter change, fleet companies do this all the time

Sounds right to me. 
Here a question if I buy a brand new Corolla and I want to take care myself, oil servicing, brakes, health checks, filters etc everything done by myself except the obvious like ac regas, wheel alignment or tyres , would I still be covered by the manufacturer warranty ? For example after year 2 my inverter blows? Will Toyota fix it under 3 years 100k miles warranty? 
Thanks 🙏 

You can service your own car, HOWEVER, proving it has been done correctly is a challenge. You must have documented evidence and be competent to do it. You won't be able to do HHC's, im my opinion, for the man in the street it's not worth it unless you are prepared to keep records 

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

You can service your own car, HOWEVER, proving it has been done correctly is a challenge. You must have documented evidence and be competent to do it. You won't be able to do HHC's, im my opinion, for the man in the street it's not worth it unless you are prepared to keep records 

All good then 👍 

I will be probably happier going that way instead of paying dealer prices for service at my rate of driving, servicing. The savings perhaps will accommodate any future repairs if needed. What I noticed on cars and many other tech like phones, computers etc , it’s the first year with normal use that if something was wrong or poorly fitted by the manufacturer will show defects, after that if use as designed purposes and correctly maintained can last ages 👌👍

As Kingo said as long as you use the recommended oils and filters then you can service the car yourself and if ever an issue arose regarding the lubrication system then Toyota can see that a Toyota oil filter has been used and if required can lab test the oil to check it conforms to their specification. As long as the oil filter is not hanging off and the work has been done competently then you are o.k.

I am a competent home mechanic and intend to keep this car for 10 years or more until electric cars are cheaper and better catered for for charging etc. As such I did a 1500 mile oil change to eliminate any chance of recirculation of swarf particles which are produced by any new engine and hopefully picked up by the oil filter and retained there until the first service.  I am a bit "old school" and remember the need to do a 1000 mile oil change with new cars when engineering tolerances were nowhere near as good as they are today. So I am just being cautious and for the sake of £55 quid in parts giving myself peace of mind and hopefully greater longevity with the engine.  Access to the oil filter and sump plug is very easy and for those interested the factory fitted oil filter for the 2.0L car is 90915-CA004, but I believe you can also use 90915-YZZM3 which I think is the Lexus equivalent used in this engine.  Oil required is Toyota genuine 0W16 and it takes 4.3L with a filter change.  

• Like 6

I’m also quite open to doing interim oil changes under certain conditions.  If I was a company car driver tonking all round the country then the service interval dictates the oil change.  Obviously 20k a year is two services and that’s that but at the other extreme, very low mileage or nipping to school or the shops is not good for even the best oil.  It generates carbon and it generates condensation both of which are not good for engines.  Kingo, you’re getting idle in your old age, at one time you’d have been just as anal with your motor 😉.  Some people stare at a fishing float and others watch the very last drip of grubby oil gather before replacing a clinically clean sump plug - ahh!

just a word to anyone advocating doing your own, if it’s outside the warranty period fair enough but if it’s inside or you might need to make a gesture claim outside, you’re going to need to give Toyota a nice warm feeling that it’s been done with quality (preferably Toyota) parts and EXACTLY the right grade of oil.  They couldn’t reject a claim on say an electrical issue for using the wrong oil but if the crankshaft failed they’d look very, very closely at what had gone on.  Low viscosity oil isn’t just used because it’s good for fuel economy, in modern very fine tolerance engines, it gets round very fast on cold starts.  These modern dynamic force engines are pretty well bulletproof but if one dies that can’t be proved wasn’t a DIYers fault, oh dear, that’s going to impact the bank account.    The other consideration is that second hand buyers often like to see a full dealer service history.  Doesn’t bother me if I can convince myself it’s been done right but it does others. 

• Like 3

I serviced my Golf R in between dealership servicing, but that was a 2.0 with 300bhp, and I drove it HARD. The oil barely gets dirty in the Corolla, it still looked great at 8,500 miles when I last took it in for a service. 

I’m pretty sure oil in America isn’t the same quality as we have in Europe, nor is fuel, that’s why AMD proposes more regular oil changes. If TonyHSD can do 200,000 miles with just 10k oil changes, I think the Corolla will be just fine with the Toyota-advised intervals. 

A good DA polisher, and polish set are a wise investment if you want to have some 1:1 time with your car, rather than troubling your warranty if something goes wrong. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

All good then 👍 

I will be probably happier going that way instead of paying dealer prices for service at my rate of driving, servicing. The savings perhaps will accommodate any future repairs if needed. What I noticed on cars and many other tech like phones, computers etc , it’s the first year with normal use that if something was wrong or poorly fitted by the manufacturer will show defects, after that if use as designed purposes and correctly maintained can last ages 👌👍

Bare in mind your new Corolla will have a 3yr 60k warranty any cover beyond this is dependent on you using Toyota for service but can extend cover to 10 years 100k

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Parts-King said:

What about when dealers charge you for filters that haven’t been changed (air and pollen) for example not sure about oil no way off knowing now , but when I went round the corner of the industrial estate to park up and check they’d changed them and they haven’t - does that void your warranty 

2 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

What about when dealers charge you for filters that haven’t been changed (air and pollen) for example not sure about oil no way off knowing now , but when I went round the corner of the industrial estate to park up and check they’d changed them and they haven’t - does that void your warranty 

Take that up with the dealer concerned, I am not here to defend that practice whatsoever!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

They should be reported to Marshall, who will take the matter seriously, Marshall is responsible for how Toyota operates in many counties 

• Thanks 1

My dealer in Horsham is the best, and at this time i believe that to be true. i know the guy in charge of Toyota UK and of Marshall and when something i don't like or see crops up i report it, like my bonnet mat was missing. i know how Japan operates well and have contacts, so if i think i'm short-changed on something i speak out and get it fixed, hence the mat being fitted for free

most dealers in the UK don't like me, that's for sure, when i turn up i just get ignored, and yet they don't even know me or have spoken to me. 

i just don't look like a fool and think that in many dealers causes confusion they expect me to be one. For those dealers who understand my ways, however, a good solid bond is formed in going forward 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fourbanks said:

My dealer in Horsham is the best, and at this time i believe that to be true. i know the guy in charge of Toyota UK and of Marshall and when something i don't like or see crops up i report it, like my bonnet mat was missing. i know how Japan operates well and have contacts, so if i think i'm short-changed on something i speak out and get it fixed, hence the mat being fitted for free

most dealers in the UK don't like me, that's for sure, when i turn up i just get ignored, and yet they don't even know me or have spoken to me. 

i just don't look like a fool and think that in many dealers causes confusion they expect me to be one. For those dealers who understand my ways, however, a good solid bond is formed in going forward 

+1 for Horsham, bought my 2018 auris there and my partner switched to having her 2017 yaris there and we both went back last year for a corolla and mk4 yaris.

Not had any problems there and drive an hour instead of using local dealer. There are good dealers out there who can be trusted and that with toyota's reputation and experience for reliable solid cars is good enough for me to go with recommended servicing. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, anchorman said:

.  Kingo, you’re getting idle in your old age, at one time you’d have been just as anal with your motor 😉

just a word to anyone advocating doing your own, if it’s outside the warranty period fair enough but if it’s inside or you might need to make a gesture claim outside, you’re going to need to give Toyota a nice warm feeling that it’s been done with quality (preferably Toyota) parts and EXACTLY the right grade of oil. 

Never spent a fortune on my cars Don, but bikes............theres another story 😀 🏍️🏍️

Very valid point on "full dealer history" Our sales team do not look favourably on missing service history, it can affect the cost of a part exchange considerably 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

That would be an interesting scenario as the warranty would have to be honoured unless the dealer wants to admit that it didn't actually do the service properly, which would open a whole big can of worms for them!

TBH tho', generally Toyota dealers are pretty good for doing the services; Even my absolutely awful dealer has never skipped the oil and filter changes, and even spark plugs when it's time, and they do check the tyre pressures and stuff. Due to my slightly adversarial relationship with them I always check everything's been done before I leave the car park but they haven't gone wrong yet! So far the only thing I've had to call them out on was for not changing the Battery in the key, although as I was using a custom casing at the time I let them off as the guy gave me 2 batteries by way of an apology.

I've found them to be okay for the servicing, if expensive; I've just learned to never ask them for anything beyond that as they just don't have the experience to diagnose or repair any unusual problems and rely too much on their TSB database, and they have had a poor history of being able to order correct parts so I don't even go to them for that any more either!

• Like 2