Do Not Sell My Personal Information

TPS

Mark Priestley

Hi people,

I’m new here so thanks.

I have a 2005 Toyota Yaris diesel which needs a new TPS (throttle position sensor)

only available from Toyota at over £500 including pedal etc.

has anyone successfully sourced & fitted one themselves? If so I’d love to hear about it.

Tia 

mark

Does it *actually* need a new one?

It's a semi-common issue for the Mk1 D4D to go into limp mode randomly due to the throttle-by-wire accelerator pedal sending different accelerator values to the computer, causing it to panic.

The reason is the 'sensors' are just regular carbon-brush potentiometers, and after so many years of use they accumulate a lot of carbon dust which throws off the readings of one of them slightly.

My brother and a few other members had the same issue - Most of the time, you can remove it from the pedal (IIRC it's 2 or 3 bolts and a cable) and clean it out with some electrical switch cleaner spray and it'll be good as new!

I shouldn't be too hard a job for an enthusiast or competent garage - My brother's one was fixed on the side of the road by the AA when it first happened to him. It happened again a few months later but now that he knew what to do he cleaned it more thoroughly and it was fine for several more years before he had to get rid of it. (Don't bother taking it to a Toyota dealer as they'll just try to flog you a new sensor; This is where knowing a decent experienced mechanic person who can actually repair things rather than just replace them is invaluable!)

• Like 1